Hometalk Reviews
Hometalk Reviews
  • New York, NY

5 Chalkboard Brands to Try (and 1 to Stick With)

As the chalkboard trend sweeps the nation, covering walls, tags, and even furniture, many paint companies have produced their own version of the paint, with different benefits and strengths. Instead of leaving you to guess which one is best for you, we’ve done the research, and here’s what we found out about the biggest brands out there:
(Prices according to Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Michael’s)

1. Benjamin Moore Chalkboard Paint

Hometalker’s Take: “I've tried repeatedly to clean the wall with a damp cloth, with a sponge, you name it. With water, it would look clean when it was wet, but as it dried, the grey, smeary mess would reappear!”
- Angela @Blue i Style (See the chalkboard project here)
Pros: Variety of colors, quick-drying, washable
Cons: Most expensive, muddy consistency makes it tough to spread
Date Reviewed: 6/12/2015
Price: $19.99
Size: 32 oz.

2. Krylon Chalkboard Black Spray Paint

Hometalker’s Take: “It was very easy to use - there were a few small air bubbles, but that can be avoided by spraying several thin coats. I painted two small tin trays as chalkboards in 2012, and they were doing great when I sold them at a yardsale a few weeks ago (2015)”
- Beth @Unskinny Boppy (See the chalkboard project here)
Pros: Smooth finish, quick dry time
Cons: Common complaints of messy application, hard to spray on evenly
Date Reviewed: 6/12/2015
Price: $7.99
Size: 12 oz.

3. Rust-Oleum Chalkboard Flat black Spray Paint

Hometalker’s Take: “It was a super smooth finish and I was feeling pretty good about it. Then my brush lightly scratched it and mirror showed. So, I applied three coats, like I do with my brush paint BUT there were “thin” spots though that I used my “brush paint” to cover.”
- Rebecca @You Are Talking Too Much (See the chalkboard project here)
Pros: Easy application, smooth finish, quick dry time
Cons: Chalk can be difficult to erase, thinner coverage
Date Reviewed: 6/12/2015
Price: $3.76
Size: 11 oz.

4. Valspar Interior Matte Chalkboard Black Latex-Base Paint

Hometalker’s Take: “I would give it a 3-4 [for how well it performs as a chalkboard]. The chalk writes well on the paint. Erasing is a different story. I found that the paint was a little harder to clean than I would have liked. It seems very hard to remove all of the chalk. The best way to do so is to wash the chalk away with a wet rag.”
- Leslie @House on the Way (See the chalkboard project here)
Pros: Easy application, durable
Cons: Requires extra coats for full coverage, longer dry time, difficult to clean
Date Reviewed: 6/12/2015
Price: $9.98
Size: 32 oz.

5. Rust-Oleum Flat Black Chalkboard Paint

*Hometalk Recommended*

Hometalker’s Take: “It’s very easy to use, just like painting. [The surface was] not as good as a commercial board, but certainly that has much to do with the surface I painted on.”
- Stephanie @Garden Therapy (See the chalkboard project here)
Pros: Easy application, durable, thick coverage, easy to clean, quick dry time
Cons: May require some sanding for a smooth finish
Date Reviewed: 6/12/2015
Price: $9.97
Size: 30 oz.
With its fuller coverage and lower price, this product gives you the most paint for your penny, and ranks highest among Hometalk users. The majority of chalkboard crafters on Hometalk choose this paint, because it easily covers most surfaces in just 1-2 coats, dries quickly, and leaves behind a durable and useful chalkboard exterior.
Have you used any of these products before? Share your experience below, and tell us your personal rating!
If you’re intrigued but can’t think of where to start, here are some popular chalkboard projects that you can create for your home or garden!
- Silver chalkboard serving tray
- Industrial chalkboard bar
- Mismatched chalkboard baskets
- Chalkboard countertops

Hometalk Reviews

• Jacqueline Church

I keep thinking about either IdeaPaint (white board paint turning a wall or surface into a dry-erase board) or chalkboard on the inside of a kitchen cabinet for menu ideas, kitchen notes. I suspect the chalkboard paint would be more susceptible to grease stains? Anyone have experience with that?

Glad to find this site. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Haley

So I have decided to paint my kitchen wall. Its a magnetic chalkboard wall! What!?! So I read lots and lots of reviews and watched a ton of videos. I bought Magna Magic as my magnetic paint. I did a bunch of layers. The more layers the better the magnetics stay. Please only use this brand for magnetic board!! I did the research for you on this product and it works!

My next step is chalk paint over the magnetic paint. Sounds like I will use rust-oleum after all the good reviews but I'm still hesitant about the brand. I'm sure there are other who are still hesitant like myself. Could someone please explain just how well a wall can clean up. Does it look new?
    Thanks for reading
  • Alisha Juliano

Haley, will painting over the magnetic paint with the chalkboard paint still allow it to be magnetic?

• Lori kessell

I have used rust-oleum paint on an old wooden dresser and it looks like a new piece of furniture. 1 coat paint, 2 applications of wax. Very easy to use. Fair price.

• Christy bellinger

I also used the rust-oleum flat black chalkboard to paint a wall next to my refrigerator. I still have some of that 30 oz can left for other projects. It has held up for four years. It comes highly recommended from this hometalker!!