Wonky Foam Cup Vases

Have you ever discovered something a bit unbelievable that you just have to try? I did! I saw a post on Instructables a few years ago and was curious to see if it really worked. It was about transforming Styrofoam coffee cups into uniquely shaped vases. How cool would this be if it really worked? Imagine the possibilities! And the best part is you only need Styrofoam cups, a crock pot or large pot w/lid, rubber bands, water and probably weights to keep the foam cups down. For a complete tutorial see: http://plumperfectandme.blogspot.com/2015/07/wonky-foam-cup-vases-how-to.html
1. Start by filling a crock pot or large pot 3/4 full with water and set heat on high to boil. 2. Put a rubber band or bands around a Styrofoam cup. The tighter the bands the greater a unique design will develop.
3. Add a small weight - I used a small glass votive) to keep the cup partially down and put in hot water. Tip: Use pot holder gloves and tongs - the water is extremely hot!
4. Watch the cup transform - it could take just a few minutes or much longer depending on the crock pot. It only took a few minutes using a large pot w/lid, but nearly one hour using a generic brand crockpot. A more sophisticated crock pot with many features also changed the cup in a few minutes. 5. Carefully remove cup with tongs and remove rubber bands. The cup is cool but the water is hot, hot, hot!
Results using one rubber band
Two bands, not tighten
Here's the group of banded cups I submersed. One, I cut the top off and tighten two bands around the foam. It is bending slightly and I didn't do such a good job of cutting the foam. I like the ones where I just used one rubber band the best.
Transforming foam cups into vases really does work. Although they can look a bit wonky and very unique. But isn't that what some of us look for in décor? And you can add all sorts of embellishments like covering the vases with a coating to change the texture, paint, stencil or add mixed media. The possibilities are unlimited.

Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Robyn Garner

Why use a crock pot? Can't you do this just using a regular pot of boiling water????
    • Jewellmartin

It takes more electricity to heat a pot of water to boiling, but that would be faster than any of my three crockpots could do it.

• Cristi Roe

What a great discovery! I can just see a classroom full of kids giggling and enjoying making these flower pots for Mother's Day, what kind of paint could be used on styrofoam?

• Shirley

Acrylic and latex, brush on or spray. Traditional spray paint will melt the cup.

• Ruth

Do you have ideas for the (cleansed after use) styrofoam that frozen chicken comes in?

I would love to see more ideas on styrofoam that would usually end up in the landfill.

• Shirley

Bleach after washing. Trace around cookie cutters, use a hole punch at the top, then decorate as desired. Craft paints, glitter, fabric and trim scraps - use tacky glue, no hot glue!