Pine Cone Flower Refrigerator Magnets

I have a weird thing for homemade refrigerator magnets. There's just something about making a tiny little piece of art, then slapping a magnet on the back and using it to hang coupons on my fridge.
There's been a ton of pine cone flowers on social media sites as of late, so I decided to put my own twist on them - by slapping a magnet on the back and hanging them on my fridge.
What you'll need:
Small pine cones (the ones in the pic were painted for a previous project - I'm repurposing them) :)
Magnets (I used 1/2 inch rounds)
Paint (I used chalk and acrylic paints, but any paint will do)
Paint brushes
Glue (I have Elmer's glue in the which will work, but I ended up using hot glue instead)
Wire cutters
Needle nose pliers
Pinch a few rows of scales at the top of the pinecone as shown. Holding the pinecone loosely so you don't break the lower scales off, cut the upper scales off with wire cutters. Pull any excess material off with needle nose pliers.
Now that you have the top half of the pine cone cut off, there are two different kinds of flowers you can make with the result. If you want a daisy, put the pine cone right side up; if you want a zinnia, put the pine cone wrong side up.
Paint the pine cones!
Let the paint dry, then glue the magnets on the back.
Let the glue dry, then slap those cute little suckers on your fridge and enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and that your fridge will be covered with pine cone flowers someday very soon! :)
Click on the link below to see this and other great projects on my blog!
Michelle @ The Painted Hinge

15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
The Painted Hinge

• Wanda

what did you use for the centers of the daisies?

• Greta

I tried painting my pine cone and it closed up. Will it reopen or did I do something wrong? I used acrylic paint.

• The Painted Hinge

I used chalk paint and I didn't have any trouble with them closing up. Interesting that the acrylic paint made them do that! But yes, they will open back up once they dry so no worries :)
  • Joan

I sent questions probably 5 days ago and my questions were not shown in the conversation about this project. My questions for the Daisy magnet were: 1) since pine cones have a little piece on the bottom from where they left the tree do you saw it off; 2) since they are curved on the bottom, how do you get a magnet to touch the surface of the cone in order to glue it on?

• Michelle Ash

yes a pair of sharp wire cutters will work to trim the bottom so you can attach the magnet.

• Rosalie Rogers

Sounds like fun too. Something new is always on my craft mind!
  • Goldbeargirl

LOVE these kinds of kid-friendly projects I can do with my grandkids! They enjoy it as much as I do - thanks!! Yours are lovely, too :)