Before and After Small Garden

651K Views
I bought my home end of October and spent 4 months looking at this awful garden through winter. I just couldn't handle looking at it any longer, so I decided I would have to do something about it. I really couldn't afford to get anyone to help me (very tight budget),
so I decided I would do it on my own. I am 5'3" tall and a 45 year old woman, so I'm VERY proud of myself for this. I wanted a woodland feel.
Time: 5-8 DaysCost: $700Difficulty: Advanced
  • before and after small garden
End of March beginning of April
Before, During and After
  • before and after small garden
In total this has taken me around 5 solid 8 hour days to get it complete, this includes laying down the weed control fabric, spreading out 3 tonne of gravel, lifting and relaying the slabs and building the decked area and raised border (made from old used scaffolding boards)
cost -
- weed control fabric (this was also used for the small front garden area too) 35
- 3 tonne of gravel (this was also used for the small front garden area too) 120
- decked area and raised border (used scaffolding boards) 380
Total cost 535
  • before and after small garden
I made a bird feeding station out of willow tree branches that had been cut down and given to me I stripped the bark off and screwed it all together
  • before and after small garden
completed from above Beginning of April
  • before and after small garden
3 months Later in July (I love it)
  • before and after small garden
this is a picture of the original pond I put in, I wasn't expecting to have any fish just water plants so it is very small (Bermuda 'COVE')
  • before and after small garden
as you can see it is rather small. I went out one day and saw 4 little goldfish... guess what... yes that's right I bought them... so now I need a bigger pond.....
  • before and after small garden
so now I needed a bigger pond... Oh like I hadn't given myself enough work to do.. so I went out and got bigger pond, double the size of the little one I had
  • before and after small garden
The new one (Bermuda 'SANDS') is double the size but it looks a lot bigger to me
  • before and after small garden
you can see the difference in size
  • before and after small garden
I love the new pond and it is a better size for the fish as they will grow to 20cm each
  • before and after small garden
I also got to put a nice waterfall feature over the pond with rocks.
  • before and after small garden
The fish love it too
:)
  • Lori
    Lori Canada

Good for you, that is quite a job and quite an improvement. Lovely.

• Sarah K. Steele
      Sarah K. Steele Concord, CA

I am so thoroughly impressed, you are obviously proud of yourself and deserve every moment of it. I am just embarking on my own brand new space, with years of neglect. You are an inspiration.