Cinzanno
Cinzanno
  • United Kingdom

Before and After Small Garden

$700
5-8 Days
Advanced

I bought my home end of October and spent 4 months looking at this awful garden through winter. I just couldn't handle looking at it any longer, so I decided I would have to do something about it. I really couldn't afford to get anyone to help me (very tight budget),
so I decided I would do it on my own. I am 5'3" tall and a 45 year old woman, so I'm VERY proud of myself for this. I wanted a woodland feel.
before and after small garden
End of March beginning of April
Before, During and After
before and after small garden
In total this has taken me around 5 solid 8 hour days to get it complete, this includes laying down the weed control fabric, spreading out 3 tonne of gravel, lifting and relaying the slabs and building the decked area and raised border (made from old used scaffolding boards)
cost -
- weed control fabric (this was also used for the small front garden area too) 35
- 3 tonne of gravel (this was also used for the small front garden area too) 120
- decked area and raised border (used scaffolding boards) 380
Total cost 535
before and after small garden
I made a bird feeding station out of willow tree branches that had been cut down and given to me I stripped the bark off and screwed it all together
before and after small garden
completed from above Beginning of April
before and after small garden
3 months Later in July (I love it)
before and after small garden
this is a picture of the original pond I put in, I wasn't expecting to have any fish just water plants so it is very small (Bermuda 'COVE')
before and after small garden
as you can see it is rather small. I went out one day and saw 4 little goldfish... guess what... yes that's right I bought them... so now I need a bigger pond.....
before and after small garden
so now I needed a bigger pond... Oh like I hadn't given myself enough work to do.. so I went out and got bigger pond, double the size of the little one I had
before and after small garden
The new one (Bermuda 'SANDS') is double the size but it looks a lot bigger to me
before and after small garden
you can see the difference in size
before and after small garden
I love the new pond and it is a better size for the fish as they will grow to 20cm each
before and after small garden
I also got to put a nice waterfall feature over the pond with rocks.
before and after small garden
The fish love it too
:)

• Valerie jones

Love this!! Going to put pavers like this in the front of my house , with rocks in between. I wondered if you did anything to make sure all was level? I love that you just put the cloth over the grass, I'm also doing my self at 53!

• Cinzanno

Hi Valerie
      I put a layer of sand under that I levelled and patted down with a long piece of 2x2 x 6mtr wood.... I then laid the same black weed control sheet over the sand and then the pavers on top to prevent seeds getting into the sand between the cracks . Good luck I would like to see yours finished if you post picture on home talk....

• Lbmellman

What did you use to dig up the grass? Did you need to put weed killer down before laying the fabric? I have a small yard of this size with lots of weeds and a little grass and wanted to do something similar, but with pavers and artificial grass in between, instead of small stones. I, too, will be doing this by myself at age 54, haha!

• Cinzanno

I didn’t dig up the grass i used really good quality weed sheeting on top that’s porous so it allows water to still seep through but it refuses to allow weeds to push through it I’ve had the odd blade of really tough grass shoot through but all I do is just quickly put a double layer square patch of about a foot square over thet portion and it stops the grass coming back through again it has been a success mow 3 years down the line

good luck and have fun doing it

• Berda Sigh

Lovely job! Have you put birds in the aviary? It's a little hard to tell from the pictures.

• Cinzanno

Thank you

No he only goes out with me in summer, I would never leave him out on his own.... so if you see a bird I. There it is because he was out while I was taking pictures... 😁

• Maggie Carranza

This is so amazing! I am so inspired by you! Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait to get home to see what I can do! :) I can just imagine having a cup of tea or coffee out there! So wonderful!!!

• Cinzanno

Aaahhh thank you so much Maggie, and good luck with your project

• Sue frontino

Kudos to you. Look at that garden with a glass of wine or tea and say I did that. BEAUTIFUL.