Stunning Personalized Map Chairs

$10

One of my favorite ways to transform an old piece of furniture and to give it meaning is to use old maps of special places. You can see all my wonderful map projects here (including my very popular Ikea map lampshade).

Here I transformed some plain wooden chairs I acquired from my local scout hut. They are like the ones you used to have in school. I've made them into something special by covering them in maps that mean something to us as a family.

These unique chairs have become talking point piece of furniture in our dining room.
All you need is an old chair, some maps, scissors and PVA glue (or Mod Podge glue) and varnish.

You can use any maps you like, from roadmaps to big maps from an atlas. You can buy map gift wrap paper for lots of different cities and countries from Cavallini online (see here).
Firstly lightly sand your chair to provide a key. If you can easily remove the seat and back do so.
Once you have decided on what maps you are going to use. You cut these to the size of your chair back and seat.
Using PVA (Mod Podge) glue you stick the maps to the seat and back.
Once the maps are dry, then cover them with a layer of waterproof PVA or acrylic varnish to provide a protective layer. Once this is dry screw the seat & back onto the chair.
I love these map chairs, they are also extra special, as I made them with maps that have great sentimental meaning. The one above is made with a Hong Kong street map, I was born and brought up in Hong Kong.

These are the other 2, I made. One has a map of Norway on it as that is where my Husbands family are from. The other is a vintage London tube map (Cavallini), I was living in London when I met my husband.

What maps would you use for your chairs?

• Old wooden chair
  • Mod Podge
  • Maps or Map Gift wrap

Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Claire at Pillarboxblue