Make Beautiful Bottle Stoppers From Wine Corks and Drawer Pulls

We promise that with minimum effort and just a couple of tools you can make one for yourself! Here's what you'll need:
Cute drawer pull knob with a screw. Make sure it is long enough to go all the way through your cork. FYI - Hobby Lobby has an extensive decorative knob selection.
Wine bottle cork
Drill with small bit
Manual screwdriver
how to make beautiful bottle stoppers from wine corks and drawer pulls, crafts, how to, repurposing upcycling
We hope you found our directions easy to follow and that you feel inspired to make this easy project for yourself.
Using a pen, place a mark in the center of the cork as a guide.
Using the drill and small bit, drill down the middle of the wine cork all the way through.
Start screwing in the screw using the manual screwdriver, making sure to screw all the through.
Screw the drawer pull knob into place.

And you are done! Isn't this great? These are going to make great gifts when added with a bottle of wine.
You could whip these up for housewarming parties, dinner parties or holiday gifts. Use pretty leftover bottles and decanters for another purpose. You'll never have to abandon another decanter that has become separated from its stopper or discard an attractive olive oil or liquor bottle that came with a twist-off top.
Here are some of the gift ideas that we will be using these stoppers for:
flavored cooking oils and vinegars
bath salts
body lotions and oils
bubble bath
homemade vanilla extract
2 Bees in a Pod - Vicki and Jennifer

• Paula Spedden

I have a problem pushing the removed cork back into the bottle. Any easy suggestions?

• Mary L. Sutherland

I recommend keeping an empty wine bottle around. As soon as you remove the cork. Turn the cork upside down and push it into the neck of the empty bottle, leaving the top1/2 sticking out so you won't need the corkscrew again.

The reason you have trouble getting the "inside end" back into the bottle (and the reason cork is the substance of choice to stopper the opening of a bottle.....etc. is because it is absorbent and swells. Thereby creating a (mostly) airtight seal.

So the inside end absorbed a little wine, and swelled to keep it in place at the neck of the bottle. However once removed, there is no tension to compress the sides of the cork. So it immediately expands at that end. This is particularly true if you live someplace with a very Humid environment (in which the entire cork is going to swell almost immediately) and this is not an optimal project for you to bother with.

This is why I recommend to immediately turn it around and push the top end back into an empty. That way you maintain the compression on the sides of the cork while it dries.

• Jo

That’s my question too. The cork doesn’t fit into the bottle easily then I would be afraid to pull on the topper to get it out again?

• Pat Gelfand

Same question...how do you get

the finished cork into a wine bottle again?

• Michelle James

I love this. Did you have a hard time finding the screws to be long enough or were there plenty to choose from. I purchased the drawer pulls before reading the entire tutorial and I am not sure mine are long enough. Need to check. Thanks so much for sharing.

• Debi F

PERFECT project for Christmas!!!! A Bottle of wine in a homemade bag and a homemade wine stopper!!!!!