Tree Stump & Log...

My wrought iron ant climbing around the yard.
Hollowed out tree. Add a couple drainage holes. Fill with a good potting soil. Tree stump, add soil & plants.

• Alicia Ranberg

Did you do anything to the wood to finish/protect or waterproof it to keep it from rotting?

It's so gorgeous I want to copy this where I have a stump, but I'll want to keep reusing it year after year. Having plants in it will make it rot.

• Mickey Baron

No, I didn't. This log seemed to go into petrified mode. It has kept rly well & I have been able to use it for the past 4 yrs. It's under trees & pretty well protected. But if I wanted to save it, I'd have put some protectant on it. I'd love to see yours when you do this.. I'll bet it will look gorgeous!

• Liz

How did you hollow out the log? We had an 80 foot pine taken down and cut into 6 foot lengths. Would love to do this but not sure how to make it hollow.

• Mickey Baron

My son took the chainsaw & formed the BOX cut,,, then an axe chopped out the center, which, I scooped out the shavings.

• Shelley John

Where did you get the ant from?

• Mickey Baron

Hobby Lobby... about...8 yrs. ago?? Maybe? They had them in 3 sizes. That was probably the largest.

• Susan Bellwood

I have a hollowed out stump in my garden with a Garden Gnome in the base. Unfortunately, it's rotting away. Hubs put a band around it to hold it together, how long it will last, I don't know. I haven't spotted a replacement yet.

• Mickey Baron

That's what I do. I look when we're on vaca up north. One last yrs. & yrs. though! I hated seeing it go.

• Josetti804

❤️