Homemade Laundry Scent Booster
Homemade laundry scent booster helps remove unpleasant smells from your laundry and gives it a nice, subtle scent! Replace conventional laundry scent boosters with this toxin-free and inexpensive alternative!
When my kids were born, I decided to switch to unscented conventional laundry detergent because unlike some, I do not enjoy the scent of Dreft, and I didn’t want to use scented products on their clothes. Fast forward a few years to when I started on my journey to living a less toxic life. One of the first things I did was make the switch to homemade laundry detergent. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that I didn’t notice much of a difference in my clothes after switching, which was amazing! However, some laundry, especially our towels, had a bit of a funky odor from time to time. I found that those who use homemade or natural laundry detergent also use homemade laundry scent booster and I thought I’d give it a try!
Homemade laundry scent booster smells amazing, is easy and inexpensive to make, works as a laundry softener and gives laundry a subtle fresh scent. It also acts to help eliminate or reduce odors in your laundry. I love this recipe because it can be doubled or tripled easily and costs next to nothing to make! I like to use this mostly on my towels and sheets, but sometimes I’ll add it to our clothes too!
PIN FOR LATER!
REASONS TO USE A LAUNDRY SCENT BOOSTER
Let’s be honest, sometimes clothes and towels can get a little funky smelling. Whether it’s because they sat wet for too long in the hamper or other reasons, it’s bound to happen. Sometimes using non-toxic and/or homemade laundry detergent doesn’t always remove the unwanted odors. So, that’s where a laundry scent booster comes in.
Conventional laundry scent boosters are full of toxic chemicals and synthetic fragrances that can be harmful to your body. This homemade laundry scent booster uses natural ingredients and essential oils to help neutralize odors and make your laundry smell better! All you need is 3 simple ingredients!
TOOLS YOU MAY NEED
- 1 quart size mason jar or other glass jar, preferably with a lid
- Measuring cups
- Mixing spoon
- 1 1/3 cup epsom salt: The salt in this recipe helps to soften your laundry and absorbs the essential oils, which allows the scent to penetrate into the clothing better!
- 1/3 cup baking soda: Baking soda helps to remove odors from laundry and acts as a natural fabric softener as well.
- 25-30 drops of your favorite essential oils
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE LAUNDRY SCENT BOOSTER
In a mixing bowl or directly in a glass jar, add epsom salt (or rock salt), baking soda and the essential oils of your choice and mix thoroughly.
Store in an airtight container (for up to a year).
Use anywhere from 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup in loads of laundry that are little more stinky. You don't need to use this every time, but you can choose to do so!
- Epsom salt can cause water to become harder and make clothes scratchy. I have not had this experience, but some may. You can use rock salt or kosher salt in place of the epsom salt if this happens to you.
- Keep your homemade laundry scent booster in an airtight glass container to make it last. The shelf life is about a year, but I always use mine up well before.
- Double or triple this recipe so you don’t have to make it as often!
- Use quality essential oils. It’s important to do your research and use oils that you feel comfortable using and that come from a reputable source.
- Pick scents that you enjoy. I really like the uplifting scents of citrus, but you can use whatever scents you enjoy the most!