DIY Bicycle Wheel Wreath
I have always loved the idea of creating a bicycle wheel wreath. I just think they are so pretty. I wanted mine to have sentimental meaning too; so I decided to use the bike wheel from my son's bike he out grew.
During the summer, my son is always outside riding his bike through the neighborhood with his friends. I will always love looking at the wheel and remembering my son at 9 years old, speeding by on his bicycle.
I love the idea of having his little bike wheel hanging on my wall for years to come. I'm going to show you a super easy way to create a beautiful wreath using a bike wheel, paint, and floral.
This is the wheel straight from his old bike.
I started by cutting the rubber tire off first. This part was probably the most difficult. I started by cutting the rubber with a pocket knife tool.
Once I got a good cut through the rubber, I continued to cut down the rubber. I did this on the opposite side as well.
By doing so, I was able to create a cut from one side to the other, and take the rubber tire and tube off the frame. (As seen in the picture below.)
Once I cleaned the frame, it was paint time! I decided to go with black. I was originally going to use spray paint; but wanted something less messy. I decided to go with this acrylic paint I had on hand.
I used a small brush, and painted around the rim of the bike frame. The spokes were already black, so I chose not to add paint to them.
I really only needed one coat over the frame; and just touched up spots that needed it.
After the paint dried, I sealed it with polycrylic matte spray. I had this on hand, so it was an easy choice.
I placed the wheel in a box before spraying the frame. This helped keep the poly off the floor of the garage.
Faux floral can get expensive, and I wanted to try to keep the cost of the project down. I decided to head into my storage closet and see what I had on hand. I found a random selection of floral; and figured they would be perfect for spring!
To apply the floral, I just twisted the stems tightly around the spokes. I would highly suggest using some sort of wire to help anchor the stems. I didn't have any on hand, so I just worked with what I had.
This was what it looked like after I added the floral around the rim. I wanted it to be more full, so I added some faux wisteria.
This is what it ended up looking like after I got all the floral on it. I decided to just set the wheel on top of my mantle for now. I may hang it at another time.