Fix a crack in my wood floor?

+13

Need to fix a crack in my wood floor. My renters didn’t contact me, but instead hit it with a hammer and cracked it. Now I need to fix it. I can’t get new wood as this floor is from 1995.

q fix a crack in my wood floor
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Nov 03, 2021

Hi Megan,

Start with vacuuming out any particles and dust that may be in the crack, this will give better adhesion. Next use a wood filler (these are flexible after it dries) that closely matches the color of the floor, you can get this at Home Depot or Lowes, it is in the form of a tube of caulk, you'll also need a caulk gun. Apply it as though you are caulking a tub, as evenly as possible, then trim off excess with a plastic edge-a store card will do, follow tube directions for cleanup to prevent blotches and stains.

• I would use wood glue in the crack. Brace/tape the pieces together until the glue dries.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Nov 03, 2021

You can fill it with a wood putty to fill in. You will need to either buy a stained putty to match or add stain before application as it will not "take" after it is dry.

• Mogie Mogie on Nov 03, 2021

Filling the cracks in flooring can be daunting. The fillers almost always look worse than the crack itself. Some of the fillers don't take stain well. The other issue is the natural grain of the hardwood. When you fill a crack with filler, it's a mono-color-texture material. When it's stained, it look one color.

Your hardwood flooring has random grain lines that create its natural beauty. You'd have to take an eyeliner pen or similar device to create realistic grain lines in the filler to mimic the ones Mother Nature created in the hardwood flooring strips.

• William William on Nov 03, 2021

Ann|The Apple Street Cottage has the right way. Don't use wood filler. It's made to fill missing wood, dents or holes in wood. That is a clean crack. Just vacuum the crack to remove any debri that may be inside. Then use wood glue to fill the crack forcing it into the crack. A piece of stiff cardboard will work. Then push the cracked piece back to close the crack. Use blue painters tape to hold the crack together as the glue dries.

• Megan Megan on Nov 03, 2021

What about nails coming up? Do I take them out and add wood glue or just put something over them. That’s why they used the hammer.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 03, 2021

Wood filler the same colour should do it, or if deep use a slither of wood that will fit and then add wood filler.

• Betsy Betsy on Nov 03, 2021

Hi Megan: Ah geeze, renters can be a handful. I would do what William recommended, but would remove the nails first. It looks like they were trying to keep the wood from falling apart. Put a piece of cardboard, like a playing card or something a bit thicker, on the floor and use a pry bar (you can buy a small one from the Dollar Tree that's just the right size) to pry up the nails. The card will keep the pry bar from denting or ruining the wood. If you have a hole left, you can fill it in with wood putty stained to match your wood. I see that some of the nails are in pretty deep, so you may have to dig them out or, you might be able to use an awl and pound them in further and then use wood putty to fill the hole. Have you tried taking them to court for this? If you want to go that route, I'd get a few estimates on repairs first and then take them to court, along with pictures.

Good luck

• I'd too try a wood glue and clamp the pieces as best you can. Make sure to clean out any debris in the crack first and clean up any glue overage while it's still wet. Glue will be much longer lasting.

• Deb K Deb K on Nov 05, 2021

Hi Megan, hope this helps you out,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uogQOcKpnE0

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Nov 06, 2021

Get your self some wood glue and glue the crack and tape it closed to hold when dry the next day take tape off.you won’t barely see it.

• Dee Dee on Nov 08, 2021

I would try wood putty or sawdust and glue as a filler then restain th board. Minwax should have this color.

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Nov 09, 2021

I use wood filler th e same color