How can I fix peeling laminate floor tiles?

P
by P
+7

I have off white laminate floor tiles that over the last few months have really started bubbling and peeling on top. You know, the wax like protective coating. Is there a way to fix or at least mask the damage outside of a rug u til I can replace the floor? I live in Hawaii so I’m sure the humidity coupled with mopping isn’t helping. I try to try the floor right away, but I feel it’s just getting worse .

• It sounds like it needs to be replaced. If it's wax, a vinegar and water solution should remove it.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 22, 2019

Hi P,

Is it from the coating that happens when waxing the floor? If so, I remember many years of removing the wax coating with ammonia. :( If it's the laminate itself that is deteriorating, it will need to be replaced. Wishing you the best.

• Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Dec 22, 2019

I've never actually seen this, but I imagine the salt air has also contributed to the issue. Based on other problems I've dealt with on fiberglass or painted surfaces, I would probably try to remove all loose material and then gently sand the rough edges with very fine sandpaper. This should at least slow the peeling. I've found that loose areas trap moisture and speed peeling, so eliminating the loose material should mitigate the issue temporarily.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 22, 2019

Once the areas are smoothed, I would consider painting and sealing it until it can be replaced.

• Beth Beth on Dec 22, 2019

You've gotten some good answers already. I just wanted to recommend having a dehumidifier once you've implemented whatever solution you choose. If you think it's related to humidity, this could help preserve your repaired/replaced floor.

• I would pull it up and replace. I think any fix will work permanently

• P P on Dec 30, 2019

That’s not an option right now.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 27, 2019

Laminate flooring is manufactured with a layered construction using several layers pressed together. The lamination process uses heat and high pressure to fuse the materials together, resulting in a solid piece of flooring.

It sounds to me that the top overlay of your flooring is disintegrating. Unfortunately, there is no way that this can be repaired.

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY! Toni @ Girl, Just DIY! on Dec 28, 2019

I'm not sure there's much you can do to keep it from peeling now that it's started. You might look into using a floor wax (research that with the flooring manufacturer). That might put a good protection over the top and keep the rest from peeling,. But depending on where you live on the island the salt air and humidity might prove too much for that as well.