Need to find out more about my fainting couch

q need to find out more about my fainting couch

Great condition the only thing I can find out late 1800s early 1900s can someone help

  19 answers
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec 6 days ago

    This is essentially a day bed with a curvy wooden frame and a back that is raised at one end. Take a close look at the frame and see if you can locate the name of the manufacturer, this is probably located on the bottom of the couch. From there you can research the history and hopefully find out the information you need to know.

    It is really hard to tell without more information because there are many styles and shapes of fainting couches from many companies and eras.

    A suggestion would be to contact an antique dealer and see if they can help you.

    You have a beautiful piece of furniture.

  • It looks like it’s in great shape! And the colors are great - neutral enough to fit into any decor. That’s pretty rare. :) What in particular would you line to know?

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 6 days ago

    Looks like a Day Bed to me. or Chaise Lounge

  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor 6 days ago

    Hello if you wish to try to figure out value or style, this hometalk link could be helpful.

  • Janice Janice 6 days ago

    Check the frame to see if there's a manufacturer's name stamped on the couch. If so, you're one step ahead, then take the picture to a local antique dealer to get more info on the particular piece. They may have some reference books about yours.

  • Cheryl A Cheryl A 6 days ago

    here is info about fainting couches- we don;t know the value of them you would have to contact an antique dealer or look online for your particular model/brand

  • Dee Dee 6 days ago

    Why is it called a settee?

    The word settee or setee comes from the Old English word setl, which was used to describe long benches with high backs and arms, but is now generally used to describe upholstered seating.

  • Mogie Mogie 6 days ago

    A fainting couch is a term said to have been used for a couch with a back that is traditionally raised at one end. The back may be situated completely at one side of the couch, or may wrap around and extend the entire length of the piece much like a traditional couch. However, so-called "fainting couches" are easily differentiated from more traditional couches, having one end of the back raised. The style of couch referred to popularly as "fainting couches" were popular in the 19th century.

    One theory was that Victorian women experienced regular fainting – fainting spells – as a subsequent result of wearing corsets too tightly. Studies showed that wearing corsets during the Victorian era disrupted the natural lung capacity from 2% to 29%. This resulted in short breaths that can be initially eased through rest and relaxation.

  • What do you need to know more about? Who manufactured it, how to clean it or fit it in with the rest of your decor?

  • William William 6 days ago

    Look for any maker marks or labels on the underside. Consult a reputable antique furniture dealer.

  • I would look for carvings or tags on the bottom. Furniture of that age was generally marked. Also, you could upload a photo of it to Google using a reverse search to see if a similar one pops up.

  • Sharon Sharon 6 days ago

    Usually the makers mark is branded into the wood at the back underside of the FC, you may have to peel back the lining underneath to find it.... then you can research it or take to an antique dealer. The piece looks like its definitely been reupholster because the upholstery is usually not that thick and its obscuring the head detail of the FC. The upholstery in a Victorian piece would have been horsehair also.

  • Betsy Betsy 6 days ago

    Hi Rita: Here's a bit of history regarding fainting couches:

    The things we endured way back then!

  • Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari 5 days ago

    You could take photos into a local antique dealer to see if they can give more info. You might be able to find a manufacturer on the frame

  • Annie Annie 5 days ago

    What a beautiful piece of furniture!

    Here's a link with some history info that might help

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law 21 hours ago

    Are there any markings on the frame? If not, you might be able to take photos to an antique store to determine if it is a reproduction or original antique.

  • What are you trying to find out? You can look to see if where it was manufactured is on the inside and where it is from.