How do I get rid of a mushroom that grew on the ceramic tile?

+10
Answered
q how do i get rid of a mushroom that grew on the ceramic tile in my so
  13 answers
  • Chris Gignac Chris Gignac on Nov 08, 2018

    You have to fix the moisture problem. By all means remove the mushrooms before they drop spores.

  • Scarlet Paolicchi Scarlet Paolicchi on Nov 08, 2018

    Well, you can just pull it out but and use a scrub brush. But what the area needs is a good cleaning so that nothing will be able to grow there.

  • Hi Denise. That looks like a mold problem. You need to find the source of the moisture - either in the basement or crawlspace, and treat it.

  • Ellis Ellis on Nov 09, 2018

    You've probably got a water leak or seepage problem for this to happen.

    Don't rely just on bleach. Go to a hardware or home store and get the product made for cleaning up mold and preventing its return (sorry, I can't recall the name, but it was widely available after the last hurricane here).


    You need to find out where the moisture is coming from, and cure that. Also, you probably should lift the flooring and open up the wall in that area, for drying out and for investigating.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 09, 2018

    Hi Denise,

    From the look of it, you have Rising Damp (the marks up the wall etc. I would imagine you have a leak under the floor that will need to be exposed and fixed and left to dry out!. Is the property yours? Do you have Buildings Insurance? If so, it may well be an idea to contact your insurance co. and report the damage. Otherwise contact your Landlord immediately as this must not be left as it will only get worse and then start affecting your health! Best wishes..........

  • Dorothy Sittler Dorothy Sittler on Nov 09, 2018

    I could not live there with my allergies to mold.


    The flooding repair company gave me this product Concrobium MoldControl to deal with issues residual after flooding in a place where I had lived.

  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Nov 09, 2018

    I would talk to a reliable water remediation company. They probably would come out and check it out and advise you as to what needs to be done. The mushrooms look pretty mature, so they may have released some spores already. Mold/mildew can cause a lot of health problems, I would check it out sooner than later. Get the area checked out so that you know just what need to be done. The company you choose may find it is something you can remediate yourself, but if it is black mold, not mildew, I wouldn't do it my self from a health perspective, they know how to deal with it the right way. Once it is seen, if it is safe, or you use precautions necessary, clean the area up with bleach water, then coat it with a lot of vinegar to help kill the spores and let it dry to kill the spores it can reach. It won't take care of anything under the surface, so that will need to be dealt with when repairs are made.

  • Barb Valley Barb Valley on Nov 09, 2018

    Borax is the best thing to use to prevent regrowth of mold.

  • Debbee Debbee on Nov 09, 2018

    This is much more than a mushroom issue!

  • Elizabeth Radewonuk Elizabeth Radewonuk on Nov 09, 2018

    This is definitely a mold problem, which is soooooo unhealthy for you!! There's moisture in the walls, water leaking somewhere, and you need to get an expert on the mold removal!!! Please contact either your land lord, or your local handyman to find out what is behind that wall,,, you'll have to rip that out and replace the sheet rock!! Please, It's unhealthy. When houses are flooded, all the sheet rock has to be replace because of the mildew. Hope you get it done. Please...

  • Lucy Marie Bernier Lucy Marie Bernier on Nov 09, 2018

    You definitely have a leak/ moisture problem ! OMG that’s a fungus !

  • Angela C. Angela C. on Nov 10, 2018

    Bleach. Removes fungi with 1 swipe. Then inspect as to WHY fungi grew...water damage only causes fungus.