How to get rid of fruit flies and drain flies?

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jul 24, 2018

Hi Julie,

The fruit flies come in your house on your fruit in the form of eggs, they are nearly microscopic. The conditions are right and they hatch making even more flies and laying more eggs. What you can do is wash your fruit well and store it in the refrigerator. The only fruit I would not refrigerate is bananas, they discolor.

They also hang around the drain because of moisture, to get rid of them in there, you can put some baking soda in your drain (both drains if you have a double sink), add vinegar and let it bubble up until it is done, rinse with hot water.

Finally if you want to trap them, take a disposable glass, add vinegar and a few drops of dish detergent (not dishwasher detergent), give it a stir, they will get in but not out. Discard and set it up again when necessary.

One good thing about these pests is they do not live very long, only a day or so.

• Elsa Elsa on Jul 25, 2018

All the above. What I do because they seem to get in in spite of screens is that on the various window sills, I put the vinegar and dish soap mixture (they are lured by the sweet smell) and after they ingest it, they drop in....dead, or they walk around in a fog unable to fly away when you swat them dead. Gosh, that makes me sound like a horrible creature for killing them but I hate them.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jul 25, 2018

I have the number one trick 1/4 cup apple cidar vinagar and 3 squirts of dish soap inthe middle don’t stir just leave it set on the table we’re there is flies they’d find it check ina outlet of days then change in one week