What is the best way to get rid of ivy?

+2
It's taking over the trees aND backyard along the fencing.

• TAMMY SPALSBURY TAMMY SPALSBURY on Jan 07, 2018
    Roundup woodsy vine and brush killer

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jan 07, 2018
    by the trees cut back as far as you can and remove from the trees. Along the fence providing there are no other plants involved. http://homeguides.sfgate.com/rid-ivy-white-vinegar-22241.html

• Jeanne Johnson Ortego Jeanne Johnson Ortego on Jan 07, 2018
    Caren, Tammy is correct, but I went one step further: I had English ivy that was bigger around than my biceps, and it was strangling my 100 year old oak trees. I had my nephew cut the vine at the base of the tree and take out a 6-12 inch section of vine. Then he poisoned the cut ends. It had rooted to the bark of the trees, and couldn't be pulled down. It was over 100 feet long! After it started dying, it loosened its death grip on my trees.

• M. M.. M. M.. on Jan 07, 2018
    Cut ivy strands around the base of the trees it is climbing. The high up ivy will die, release its grip and be easily pulled down later. . Keep after it and never allow ivy to climb fences, cutting the climbing strands down at the base. I think the best method of dealing with it is to wear gloves and just rip away at it. The fact that it grows in long strands means it is easy to grab and pull, even getting the roots out of the ground.You could also hire some teens to do the work (with gloves) since it feels very rewarding to do something so "destructive". And never fear you've done too much, it will always come back. When it's down to a more manageable size, then you can just periodically clip it. Ivy hides all kinds of pests, I hate to see it take over as it can strangle trees,and pull down structures like fences, gazebos,etc.when not maintained.

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 08, 2018
    you can use vinegar and boiing water- just make sure to cover the plants that you dont want ruined