By Hometalk Writer Corrie Pelc
For most people, once plastic household items reach a certain point, they figure there's no bringing them back to their former glory. The good news is with spray paint for plastic you can literally bring new life to an older plastic item with little monetary investment or effort. From outdoor plastic furniture that has been faded by the sun, plastic vintage finds from thrift stores and garage sales, and even toys that are showing how much they were loved—all of these can be quickly improved with spray paint for plastic.
Does Spray Paint Adhere to Plastic?
If you use the right type of spray paint, it sure does! While spray painting plastic can be a bit tricky, if you select spray paint specially formulated for covering plastic, and follow a few easy steps, you'll be a pro in no time!
Our Picks for Spray Paints for Plastic:
- Best Overall — Krylon Fusion All-in-One Spray Paint A spray paint that not only bonds to plastic, but can also be used on a variety of materials, allowing you to get the most bang for your buck.
- Best Runner-Up— Rust-Oleum Paint for Plastic Spray Comfortable to use over an extensive project, great coverage, and dry to the touch in 20 minutes flat!
- Shortest Dry-Time— Krylon Fusion for Plastic Spray Paint This no-chip, easy-spray paint boasts a 15-minute dry time.
- Best Coverage — Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch 2X Ultra Cover Spray Paint Get the even, smooth coverage you want on plastic, metal, wood and lots of other materials.
- Best for Leather and Vinyl — Dupli-Color EHVP11200 Vinyl and Fabric Spray Paint If you need to restore vinyl seating, dashboards, or other plastic car parts, this is your product.
- Best for Camouflaging — Krylon Camouflage Plastic Spray Paint An ultra-flat, non-reflective spray paint in six camouflage colors.
- Best Environmental Friendly — Pintyplus Aqua Spray Paint Spray paint your plastics while still being kind to the environment with this no odor, water-based spray paint that can even be used for arts and crafts and scrapbooking.
Factors We Considered When Making This List
While there are lots of different spray paints on the market, not all are formulated to properly cover and adhere to plastic. After hours of research and comparing user feedback, here is a list of what we consider to be the best spray paints for plastic for 2021.
Each product below has been evaluated and ranked for these main factors:
- Durability — After taking the time to carefully spray paint a plastic item, how long will the spray-painted finish realistically last?
- Primer Required — Not having to apply an additional primer before spray painting plastic can be both a time- and money-saver.
- Dry Time — How long before a spray-painted plastic item can be touched and used?
- Nozzle Comfort — When spray painting a large project, a comfortable nozzle can help ensure that hands and fingers don’t tire out before the job is finished.
- Can Size — Size does matter when it comes to spray paint—getting the most bang for your buck is crucial.
- Coverage Size — Will one can of spray paint do the job, or are multiple cans needed? That can have an impact on a DIY budget.
- Color and Finish Options — Depending on the type of plastic project the spray paint is for, having a wide variety of color and finish options can be a big factor.
Considering all of these factors, let's jump into the best spray paints for plastic of 2021...
Best Overall: Krylon Fusion All-in-One Spray Paint
~ $5-$7 on Amazon