Any ideas to stop drawers in an antique chest from sticking ?

+10
Thank you Hometalkers!!!
  • Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Jan 20, 2017
    I have used wax and rubbed a candle on the sliding mechanism.

• Carol Carol on Jan 20, 2017
    Rub some coconut oil on the metal slider

• Nadine Nadine on Jan 20, 2017
    I brought a bottle of Drawer and Window Glide Lubricant on Amazon and it works great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKV1TK6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Mike Mike on Jan 20, 2017
    Hand soap works very well along with the candle wax. They don't dry out as fast as other methods. The drawer glide stuff sounds good too.

• Melissa Melissa on Jan 20, 2017
    Talcum powder. It works on squeaky wood floorboards as well. If this doesn't work find a piece of wood or metal the same size as the groove in your drawer glude and wrap with sandpaper and give it a few passes - also pull out allbyour drawers and checkvall the screws and that the joints are tight. If they have wiggled gloose over time the shift of the wood can make drawers stick from being off square. Make sure they all slide well and add talcum powder to the glides. ( this absorbs moisture which when put under pressure from being crooked will cause the moist wood to rub together and make a squeak from the two surfaces not sliding smooth.)

• Sandra Miller Sandra Miller on Jan 21, 2017
    Rub bar soap on the runners. Works every time

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 22, 2017
    A bit of WD40 works as well

• See 1 previous
    • LAURA LAURA on Jan 23, 2017
      In some areas of the country WD-40 becomes sticky. I use bees wax (from fabric department) or a little candle was, or bar soap.

• PRESIDENTSAC PRESIDENTSAC on Jan 22, 2017
    An old beeswax candle.

• Lynne Webb Lynne Webb on Jan 23, 2017
    I haven't done it in years but I always used wax. Candles would probably work, but I got mine at the grocery store near the canning supplies. Remember when we used wax on top of our home made jelly? And nobody ever got sick. Does anybody still do that? Gosh my mind can see those boxes now. And did they have ESSO or Shell on them, like the gas?

• See 230 previous
    • M. How M. How on Jan 25, 2017
      Yes, Lynne. I make a special homemade cranberry sauce and syrup for holiday gifts. Cranberries can be frozen, so I make small batches during the year which I store until they are mailed. I also use the wax so that it will not spoil when they are mailed. My small kitchen is not large enough to store the canning equipment. The wax is economical and I don't have to buy special canning jars. I just save my Smuckers jelly and jam jars for the cranberry sauce and syrup. It's nice to know there is someone else out there who remembers how to use wax.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Feb 28, 2022

Candle wax - soap - WD-40 -Polish any of them will do the trick for you.

• Rub a candle on the bottom edges of the drawers.