Help! I ruined my countertop with DIY. Where can I start over?

+16

I did a epoxy paint on my countertop and felt good about it but now that I look back, I hate the patter. What can I do

help i ruined my countertop with diy where can i start over
  • Personally, I like how it looks, but if you don't, you'll need to start over with a new epoxy color that you like.

• Janice Janice on Jul 27, 2022

You can refinish your work by scuff sanding the surface of the work you've done and redo it as you wish. That's why diy is so great, you can try things and if you don't like the result, redo it. We are usually more critical of our own work than of other's. Kudos to you for refinishing the countertop in the first place. Use what you learned and change it!

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jul 27, 2022

I think it looks great. Maybe it doesn't look as good in person. If you don't like the veining, you could add more but other than that I would say either paint again or cover with contact paper and seal with poly that is water safe.

• William William on Jul 27, 2022

You didn't ruin it. Just a DIY OOPS! You can sand it smooth and start over. Don't have to remove it. Would be a pain in the butt trying.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jul 27, 2022

Do it all over again with a different look or maybe use Contact to cover it.

• Maura White Maura White on Jul 27, 2022

I personally don't think it looks bad either! But you are the one who has to live with it, so it sounds like sanding, and pouring more epoxy in a different pattern is what you need.

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 28, 2022

Hi Sandy: You can remove it with Citristrip. Then, start over. I think it looks great, but if you don't like it, then you don't like it :) You could try just sanding it without removing it.

Good luck

• I think it looks great! I've never tried that paint, but if you're not happy you can just sand a bit and give it another coat. If you really don't want to paint again, I've seen people use contact paper to cover the counter and it looks great and holds up. Also, we built a wooden top for our vanity and it was pretty simple. https://www.exquisitelyunremarkable.com/2019/07/how-to-build-a-wooden-countertop.html

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jul 29, 2022

Paint over it and add more apoxy that’s all

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jul 30, 2022

IMO, the work involved in trying to remove the epoxy coating you applied and the cost of the requisite materials to try to change it, would make for a project that is not cost effective at all.

If you really can not live with how the present vanity looks, just purchase a piece of laminate counter top, and simply cut a hole for the basin. This would be the fastest and easiest way to start brand new.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jul 31, 2022

Just re paint it the color you want then put arcrylic on it abain

• Mogie Mogie on Aug 01, 2022

A few options:

Paint over it

Use a kit to make it look like marble or granite

Put in a new piece of laminate (local thrift store sells 6 foot sheets) then cut to size

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Aug 01, 2022

IMO it looks good, don't know what you are not happy with. What effect would you like, you can remedy this with contact paper as Hometalkers have suggested. Then seal that.

• Dee Dee on Aug 01, 2022

I like your counter top, but you can buy a Giani kit or a Rustoleum kit and repaint

• Deb K Deb K on Aug 01, 2022

Hi Sandy, you can sand it and paint or epoxy over the pattern you don't like.

• Linda Ascencio Chavez Linda Ascencio Chavez on Aug 02, 2022

I agree with the rest, it looks good!!!

• Figgy Figgy on Aug 02, 2022

Try heirloom paint products - very durable even on countertops! Look up on google

• Although I find it attractive, you'll need to start over with a different epoxy hue if you don't.

• Tammy Tammy 3 days ago

I think it looks good. But it’s not easy to get a good look in the picture. I have a second full kitchen in my basement. My brothers live in girlfriend got the bright Idea to paint the cabinets. They looked like a kindergartener had painted them. They were the ugliest yellow and blue. Then she put their initials on the cabinets. When they left we quickly repainted them in a gray. And I put contact paper on top of the counters. That’s been over a year ago. And it’s something I have not regretted doing. It’s still in good condition and I never got the poly coat on it. I still need to do that. But it was such a change and easy to do.