Attic entry, rusted nails, cement with rusted rebar poking through ?


Hi, I have an attic entrance over my back deck we have high winds which have broken the seal and it allows air to fill the home cold/hot dirt etc. how do I seal it properly? I’m disabled and have bought a money pit! It’s a 6 year old home so far I’ve replaced doors windows and I ve had to put an elastomeric coating on the outside because the builder billed me put less than he should have of stucco on it. I’m trying to do as much as I can but being disabled and on a disability check only allows me to do so much. I just did repairs this summer as my a/c and furnace were set up that it was one spark away from going up in flames! So I’m a bit at my last nerve and need a fix I can do that will not cause a issue with moisture and who knows what else! I have rusted nails popping up and rusted rebar popping out of the concrete. I can only do so much and eat pay medical bills and I didn’t even use my a/c after having the $4500 repairs done that I’m still paying for. So if you can help me with the few issues here above I’d be very appreciative as I can do a little bit at a time. But I’m almost scared to live here. Not knowing what else is broke and I put so much into it all my savings. Thank you 🙏

  10 answers
  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Oct 13, 2020


    I am so sorry for your "money pit" - we have been in our home 30 yrs now and so much to do but no money and we aren't able to do it anymore so I understand. Stay strong my friend. Just an idea but are there any organizations or churches in your area that help with repairs for disabled folks?

    here is some info

    • See 1 previous
    • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Oct 16, 2020

      research the area you live you there are valuable resources out there but sometimes just hard to fine - with your guide dog there should be an organization that can help you out- good luck and God bless you

  • This house is 6 years old? Who performed the inspection before you purchased? In most states, the builder is on the hook for "construction defects" for up to ten years, some areas more. In this situation, your realtor, inspection professional and the builder are all on the hook.

    You need a real estate attorney familiar with construction and / or a construction defect attorney, (my money is on a defect attorney as it is a specialized field.) So gather every contract, receipt, bank statements, anything related to repairs on the property and get yourself an attorney to represent you and your interests. Call your local or State Bar Association for reputable firms for a consultation.

    In the meantime, contact the builder via mail and state, with specificity, each and every issue. Send certified mail, return receipt required. You need to do your "due diligence" and give them an appropriate amount of time to respond. Do not let them blow you off. By now you should have an attorney. They can request repairs to be made in a timely fashion. If, for some reason, they refuse, go after their license. Posting your review on place like Yelp or Google will speed up the process in some cases. Contractors or any service provider hate bad reviews as it can kill a business. Also contact the State Contractors License Board to report the builder for defects and lodge a formal complaint against the license.

    If it goes even further, you can also recoup money you have spent to date.

    This is law in a nutshell and requires further explanation from a licensed professional. Again each State, County, City may or may not have local rules to follow.

    It sets my hair on fire when I hear stories like this. And don't be nice! All these people have taken advantage of you in some way, shape or form. And taken your money! If it was me, I would also toss in every vendor and contractor that did work on your home by not telling you about your legal recourse. And took more of your money.

    A 6 year old home should NOT have any issues. You are in my prayers. If you need more assistance, let us know. ❤

    • Nickie Nickie on Oct 14, 2020


      I started to reply to you and I went to my bible study group we were talking about 1Peter 4:8-10 and it really hit home with all this turmoil. I have felt so like pulling in my wagons retreating protective of my self and I was humbled by the words of scripture. To think not if myself in my times of need but to forgive the sins of all who wronged me and be grateful. I am alive God has allowed me shelter food and good graces to be able to ask these questions for help. While others strive for a blanket , food, shelter or basic life things. I was humbled! God has a way of putting me in my place! I know that I have been wronged horribly so. But I , must forgive them. And find the way to make right the wrongs. I’m blessed to have so much and I am so blessed to have you all to help me! I will reach out to the attorney general only because I believe that a person should be held accountable for the actions and not harm others I don’t want him to continue to do this to other unsuspecting people. If he simply rights the wrongs I’d be happy and I am not completely knowing that I am strong enough for a battle. As one good seizure and I’ll be without a voice once more. I also had new news today two times I survived cancer and I am now on my new journey for a third time round so I may not have the strength nor resources to fight again. So I may just lay my sword down and allow myself to fix the most pressing issues and sell my beautiful home so my daughter can be taken care of. Thank you all for your kindness and compassion as without you I’d truly been lost!❤️

  • Nickie Nickie on Oct 13, 2020

    This is the attic entrance and just one of many rebar rust s coming through the rusted nail inside the replacement windows and in the walls are coming up and out I read somewhere you can sand it down put nail polish on top of them then reapply plaster or wall putty haven’t tried it but would definitely like an opinion

  • Betsy Betsy on Oct 13, 2020

    Hi Nickie: Oh boy, you sure are having problems. Hopefully we can help you out. First of all, check with your city, they may have people who will help you out for free or for very little money. Check with the Lions, Kiwanis or other groups too. Your city also may have a low or no cost loan for you to get your work done. Then, again, you can appeal to some of your local tv stations for help. Good luck

    • See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Oct 14, 2020

      You're welcome Nickie. There should be groups who help the disabled no matter what the age is. I would talk to the people who help older disabled people and state your case that your age has no bearing on the situation. Perhaps they can suggest someone or some group who will be willing to help you out. I hope you get this taken care of before the winter hits, I understand that Colorado has some wicked weather. Stay safe and stay warm.

  • Heidi Heidi on Oct 14, 2020

    You should say the general area that you live. State? City? A lot of times the government will help you to fix your home because you are disabled. Reach out and don’t be to proud to do so.😘

  • Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Oct 14, 2020

    You will need to use spray insulation which you can buy at HomeDepot, I had some gaps in the attic that was letting cold air come into my home and we sealed it with the spray insultation.

    • Nickie Nickie on Oct 14, 2020

      Thank you for your assistance and I will definitely do that today! I appreciate your kindness as this has been a very very difficult time for me.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Oct 14, 2020

    Hello there,

    On the short term, use insulation foam and spray seal it. On the long term issue, get the home surveyed by a Building Surveyor. He/She will give you a written report on your home condition (this is something that should have been obtained before purchase) but you are not alone in thinking you should proceed to buy without one! As I am in the UK I am not aware of the law in US, but sounds as if you could have a legal case against the Builders. Best wishes.

    • See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Oct 15, 2020

      I also think you have a case to take to court. Even though the builder avoided you until the time ran out is no excuse, and since you did try to contact him, you have standing. Call your Bar Association and see if there are any attorneys who will take your case Pro Bono (without cost) and maybe get a cut of any settlement you get. If you do decide to take him to court, and I/we, certainly hope you do, you can ask the court for someone else to do the repairs as, and remember this phrase, "You have lost faith in this builder". And, if you get someone that the original builder has to pay, or has to pay you, tell this new person, and remember this phrase too, "Time is of the essence.", and put a finish date on the project. Those phrases will protect you. Good luck

  • Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Oct 14, 2020

    Oh my, it looks like you need to contact the attorney general in your state. It sounds like the builder ripped you off.

  • Mogie Mogie on Oct 14, 2020

    Contact the Better Business Bureau. Also check your blue pages (those are the pages of government numbers) and see who else you can contact regarding this.

    Take pictures and save every scrap of paper you got from the business that did this.

    Wouldn't hurt to sit down and try to come up with a time line. Just jot down on paper while this is still fresh in your mind what you did and when. It is important to write down the names of the people you spoke with as well as the approximate time of the conversations.

    • Nickie Nickie on Oct 14, 2020

      Thank you Mogie , you are so correct it makes all the difference in the world in court of opinion and law. I’f you have facts written down receipts and documentation it’s highly more likely to go in your favor I did prior to head injuries and seizures do paralegal work it’s just been since the 90’s and my knowledge of the law is not to date nor is it based in building and contract law. Now if were were talking wills and finances lol I’d be more inclined to have answers even though laws change as fast and furious as do computers do it seems. But thank you SO SO MUCH FIR THE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT REMINDER to document document document! !  I am so grateful for the fact I was led to this website! No questions in I know that Devine intervention is happening and am so very blessed thank you so very very much! I will be digging the receipts I have and can find out as I’ve been cleaning out the crawl space trying to get ready for possibly a moisture barrier and insulation for the floor. So have been shredding documents as old as 1990! I feel for all those trees! And worse because there’s no recycling here so I was told here recently you can put it in the dirt as a compost but I never know what to believe I wish I knew if that was true.  Thank you for your invaluable advice

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Oct 16, 2020

    Hello again Nicky,

    Glad you have been given US advice for going to court over this matter. Regards to old paper in the ground - YES you can put them into the ground. First put them through a shredder. Then turn them If you know of a pet shop or an animal sanctuary or a vet, they may be happy to take you shredded paper from you for bedding. Stay positive!