Riser repair, riser separated from tread. How to fix


Looks like the previous owner kicked the top step. How do you fix this? Not back access.

q riser repair riser separated from tread how to fix
q riser repair riser separated from tread how to fix
  18 answers
  • Nick Ornitz Nick Ornitz on Sep 15, 2020

    Hi Kevin,

    I recommend sharing your question with a pro on hellodwelling.com - you can get expert advice via video chat with a pro or online messaging. It's free for a limited time.

    Good luck!!

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Sep 15, 2020

    You could put a piece of trim to tie the two together. For uniformity, I would do it on each of the stairs.

  • Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Sep 15, 2020

    Is that a wooden riser on top of a concrete step. If so that is common and fairly acceptable. If you don't like it you can add a thin piece of molding to cover it or caulk.

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Sep 16, 2020

    Caulking is what came to mind. if you choose to add the to do trimming, then do all the steps the same or it will look like and obvious repair.

    Riser-to-Tread Gap

    Gaps can occur in staircases where the riser meets the top of the tread. The riser is the vertical part of the step. The tread is where you place your foot. This type of gap is usually caused by faulty installation or failure to brace the staircase properly. Some people choose to use vinyl or plastic stair tread covers to hide the gap. But these are ugly and can detract from the beauty of a hardwood staircase. Instead, cover gaps with hardwood cove molding. It's thin and has a graceful curve that fits into the corner to cover gaps and enhance any staircase, hardwood or not.



  • I would caulk it with clear caulk.

  • William William on Sep 16, 2020

    Use a some molding to cover the gap. Caulk won't last since wood moves with temp changes and stair use. And it would be hard to get a smooth look.

  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Sep 16, 2020

    It looks like a wood riser that was stapled down to what also looks like wood. I would put a couple of screws down through it to tighten it all up together again.

  • Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Sep 16, 2020

    Can you bang it back w a hammer or mallet?

  • Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Sep 16, 2020

    Has the tread or riser moved?

  • Deb K Deb K on Sep 16, 2020

    Hi Kevin, you should just put either white or clear caulking on it to close it off

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Sep 17, 2020


    Could be the timber has bowed. Timber to concrete glue and weight to hold it down until well stuck. Good luck!

  • Seth Seth on Sep 17, 2020


    It looks like the nose of the tread overhangs the riser by a little bit. You could apply a thin (1/4 inch) piece of MDF or plywood cut to size. You can also layer wood filler to make the face flat and then apply the 1/4 inch board.

  • Karolyn Slader Karolyn Slader on Sep 17, 2020

    Buy a thin sheet of birch and stain to match. You can nail it or just use a really heavy duty glue but roll it on everywhere and clean any that comes out.

  • Judy Hardgrave Judy Hardgrave on Sep 18, 2020

    You could also use wood filler then sand it all and refinish it however you wish.

  • Sharon Sharon on Sep 19, 2020

    looks to me that the tread is warped, the riser looks level. I would remove the tread, and either replace it or plane it level on the underside.

  • Jeremy Hoffpauir Jeremy Hoffpauir on Sep 19, 2020

    Permanent fix is to remove the tread and replace it. After you do this, you can follow this tutorial to install hardwood stairs - https://do-daddy.com/how-to-replace-carpet-stairs-with-wood/

  • Tedward Tedward on Sep 19, 2020

    First of all, you have to determine if the riser is MDF or particle board. If it's particle board, you are almost forced to just use a silicone caulk like the floor layers use now. It's almost invisible. If the riser is 3/4 inch MDF you have another choice. Purchase a drill bit and some conformat screws. You may have to find a european hardware store for them. Pre-drill your holes into your tread down through the center of the riser. Install some glue under the tread, then tighten down your conformat screws. They will sit flush with the top of the tread. They are the only screw that will hold in MDF whether it's on the face or the edge. You will be amazed at their holding power.

    Good luck!

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Sep 30, 2020

    Is that a wooden riser on top of a concrete step. If so that is common and fairly acceptable. If you don't like it you can add a thin piece of molding to cover it or caulk.