No More Brass Doorknobs!
I really wanted to get rid of the brass doorknobs and hinges in our home but when I found out how much it was going to cost, I knew we couldn't squeeze it into our budget. I've waited a couple of months to post this project because I wanted to see how well the paint held up and now and the only thing that has rubbed off a bit is the strike plates. Even my laundry room door knobs that I hang clothes hangers on when I'm doing laundry has held up.
I decided to do something about it!
A closer view.
Now the process of how I painted them. I took some chop sticks, wrapped them in foam and secured them with duck tape.
This was the first picture I took. I taped them down to the box and they still kept falling over so I turned that box top upside down, drilled holes in the box and put the chopsticks inside the hole giving them stability.
Now they are ready to paint.
I first cleaned all the doorknobs with ammonia and water then gave them a light sanding using a 220 grit sandpaper. Then I used a primer, let that dry for about 3 hours then gave them a coat of Rust-Oleum Metallic paint, let that dry for about 4 hours, then gave them a second coat. The next day I sprayed a coat of lacquer, let that dry and then gave it a final coat. I waited 24 hours and then re-installed every doorknob and every hinge in the house. I'm not going to lie, it was a HUGE job but I love the new look!!
Published September 10th, 2014 7:50 PM