How to Make DIY Basket Liners for Round Baskets

$15.00

Chances are you already have a basket in your home that would be much more useful if it were lined. I can sew, but I can only sew straight lines. The idea of sewing a liner for a round basket was a little intimidating at first. I figured out how to do it and I am going to share it with you.
First, I bought a really long oblong tablecloth. The tablecloth pictured below came from Home Goods and cost around $15.
Grab your tape measure and take all the measurements from the outside of the basket. Measure from the top of the basket down to the middle of the bottom of the basket, on the outside. Then add 3-4 inches to wrap over the top and create a top cuff. When you measure around the outside of the basket be sure to measure at the fattest part of your basket if it has a cone shape. After the measurements are made cut your fabric accordingly. (Step by step details are on my blog.) Get your sewing machine ready, we are going to sew some seams. Fold the pretty side of the fabric together, and sew a seam on the vertical, making a big fabric tube.
Keep the fabric folded along the seam you just sewed, turn the fabric and sew one long seam along the bottom. Open up the square, and fold it so the seam is in the middle, then fold it flat. Mark about 5 up from each point and sew a straight seam on either side. Add slits for the handles, and sew around it to finish the openings.
To finish off the bottom, just two straight line seams is all you need. This makes it fit nicely in the bottom of the round basket.
Here are the finished baskets with liners. Now with these bright liners, these baskets could be used for anything. Laundry, toys, pet supplies, you name it. For all the details on how to make these liners please visit my website http://heartworkorg.com/2015/03/31/how-to-make-diy-basket-liners-for-round-baskets/.

Darla DeMorrow

• Joanie

When we talk about leftover material, whether it be from curtains or whatever, has anyone EVER tried quilting?
    • Jewellmartin

Well, yes. And this project will have lots of quilt square potential unless I make several basket liners that match.

I think I can make the liners from a Dollar Tree plastic and felt table cloth and hot glue from Dollar Tree, too. So, Darla, I can make several by spending $2 instead of $15, and mine would be wipable. You gave good directions. ☺️

• Red

Thank you, I really like what you have done. Thank you

• Peggy

I'm stuck on the bottom , it just seems to simple I made it look like cone like urs now just pin it strait across n sew then cut bottom cone

• Darla DeMorrow

Peggy, I admit this step is a little tricky to show. You aren't sewing a cone. You fold the material into the cone shape, then you'll have two little "flaps" that you'll sew independently. That's what I meant by, "Just two straight line seams is all you need." It will kind of look like an H at the bottom. Hope that helps you.