Fiercely Fun Glass Mosaic Window

Advanced

I have done mosaics for years but never glass on glass. Previously, I used broken china ( pique assiette technique) on furniture, stepping stones and birdhouses. When I had an opportunity to learn the glass technique I jumped on board. I say go for it
LOVIN' MY SPLIT PERSONALITY
I found an old mirror in a three part frame. I removed the mirror and replaced the center piece with glass and the side panels with antique tin ceiling tile. I wanted an artsy yet primitive look.
IT'S ALL IN THE EYES
To begin with, my son helped me change up a design on paper, which we then taped to the back of the center glass. This would be the template. I found the original idea for this on the internet. The fabulous artist is Gail Christofferson from Animal House Glass.
HOT LIPS AND BIRDS OF A FEATHER
I try to always place a bird somewhere in my art and rehab projects. I am sure a therapist would love to analyze this quirky trait:-)
The lips were very difficult to cut exactly the way I envisioned. My teacher gave me a helping hand..her fabulous artistic eye saw exactly what I needed to do.
SO MANY PRETTY LITTLE PIECES
The theme I wanted is that of a bright sunny morning full of promise..followed by a blue reflective moon at days end....shedding starry tears of what could have been.
Seems I never make the most of my days..maybe my list is too long. The more I study on this piece the more I realize each day's promise is a beautiful blessing.
BEFORE THE GROUTING
I wanted a different color of grout. Most popular grout colors are grays, whites and blacks. We mixed acrylic paint into the grout mix to get a warm peachy flesh color. I loved the result, but also decided to mix in some finely ground glitter. This gave the grout a very subtle sparkle.
TERRIFIC TIN
The room the mosaic now calls home has taupe walls with a lot of wood tones, so this antique tin fit perfectly. I waxed it with a good beeswax to give it a warm patina. It also coordinated with the frame color.
LOVIN' THE FINISHED LOOK
The sunlight will not directly hit the mosaic as it is hanging in a window covered by my front porch, but you can see it still glows with lovely light.
ARTISTIC LICENSE
My talented mosaic teacher played around a bit with the end product's pictures. I love the modern bent. Mosaics are a lot of fun, but believe me they are a huge amount of work. This one was well worth the 35 or so hours it took from beginning to end.
GLORIOUS DAY
At the end of the day, I am so grateful for what that day has given to me.

Zee