My Little Kitchen Makeover

My little kitchen was so blah when I moved in. It was so dark and... woody. What drove me nuts the most was that the pulls that were installed in the middle of the cabinet doors. Honestly... who does that? So after putting it off for over a year, I began my little kitchen makeover.
my little kitchen makeover, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting
The first thing I did was take down the hutch to open up the space. I would lose a little cabinet space but I had plenty more on both sides of the kitchen.
Yay, no more hutch. It definitely felt so much more open.
I painted the walls Blue Fjord and the wall with the bay windows Burgundy Wine Red as a sort of feature wall.
I picked up 4 gallons of Valspar paint + primer at an outlet store for for a steal at about $13 a gallon. I had them tinted to an antique white at Lowe's for free. Yes, free!
All the cabinet doors were removed and I removed all those silly centered pulls and filled in the holes with some wood filler. Then I began painting cabinets. My kitchen already looked 500% better and much brighter after the first coat.
I decided to paint the inside of the upper cabinets the same Burgundy Wine color as the feature wall.
And the upper cabinets were painted.
I picked up some old cedar fence panels at a garage sale a few months back to use as my backsplash. I pried the boards apart and removed all the nails, then cleaned them up.
I cut the cedar fence into smaller pieces and staggered them. I then used liquid nails to attach them to the wall. I decided to glue the rusty nails I had removed back into their original holes to make it appear as if they were held up by the nails.
Next, I took a hammer to the center panels of the upper doors to knock them out. Oh what fun that was but oh what a mess it made.
I painted the doors with two light coats, leaving brush strokes. It's hard to see in the pictures but doing this definitely made the doors pop against all that white on the cabinets.
After washing down some chicken wire, I attached them to the doors with some staples in place of the panels I knocked out.
I love the way these doors turned out!
Finally finished!
A few little stars were added a few days ago to complete the look :)
Watch for future posts on the barn loft ladder chandelier and the little country kitchen table pictured above.

• Lynnda

How did you put the boards around the outlets?

• Very carefully. Lol. I measured and carefully cut holes with a jigsaw for the outlet. Then I took off the outlet covers. Unscrewed the outlet and pulled it through the hole as I glued the board down.

• Lynnda

I ask a question but it didn't post for some reason. Wanted to know how you did the boards around the electric fixtures to make them flush with the wall?

• Deb28264806

love what you did kudos! Just bought s manufactured home 3004 dates oak glass cabs in hexagon shape. I want to get ride of my top cabs like u did with ur hutch but it has the box above (don’t kniw what it’s called) how did u work around that ty Trish

ty

Trish

• Misty

Beautiful kitchen. I love the back splash.

• Sharon M

I need to do something with my mobile home cabinets. They are not wood. The cabinets are like a thin panel and the doors seem to be a MDF covered with wood grain pattern. Some have minor water damage on the edges of the doors and drawers. Not sure I can sand and primer them. I also need more cabinets but cant find any to match and replacing all is to costly. Ugh!