Ana Bacallao
Ana Bacallao
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Miami, FL

Hubby Had a Stash of Ties After He Retired Till I Got My Hands on Them

$0

I had seen something similar in Pinterest a while back and I had this little foot rest in our guest room that I thought would look cute done this way, my husband wore a suit to work for years and had quite a stash of neckties. After he picked about 20-25 of his favorites to keep for special occasions, I gave some to our son, sold some on Ebay and still had some.

hubby had a stash of ties after he retired till i got my hands on them, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling

This is what it looked like.

I detached the bottom from the upholstered part using one of my husband's drills.

The dismantled stool.
The dismantled stool.

I the started arranging the ties on a circular pattern using a lot of pins. Of course, cutting the skinny end off and wrapping the wider end around the bottom. I borrowed my husband's electric stapler to attach the ties to the bottom.

The bottom.
The bottom.

Next I had to find a way to attach the ties to the center as there was no way to staple or sew through. I decided I would just sew the ends as best as I could to the center and each other. Did not look pretty but it worked. I also used fabric glue on some of the tie edges to make sure they stayed flat.

I then had to ponder what I would do in the center since there was no way to sew through. My solution was to cut a round piece of cardboard and start wrapping and hot gluing the skinny ends of some of the ties to it. This proved wrong as it was too thick. I started again this time cutting the ends shorter.

Too much on the other side.
Too much on the other side.
Redone.
Redone.

I then decided that it needed visual interest so I got my needle and thread and puckered the ties in the middle and added a big black button to the middle. I hot glued it to the center of the footstool. I cleaned up the bottom rattan and darkened it a bit. It was time to reattach the pieces together. I did need my husband's help as there was no way I could find the original holes on the plywood so he drilled new ones for me and screwed the prices together. It's a definite conversation piece.

Underside.
Underside.

So I'm left with a bunch of tie ends. Any suggestions as to what I should do with them?

• Tiesg  (Existing)
  • Footstool  (Existing)

• Carolyn Hoxton

my hubby has a lot of ties, but I don't have the stool, very cute where did you get the stool, is it old?

• Ann

Joan fabrics has all the stuff to make a stole also there's places on line to purchase .

• Nancy Heil

Have you considered making a quilt? I saw one once where they opened up the ties, pressed them open and sewed together the edges in a big pinwheel. It was beautiful.

• And7881042

Great idea for all those ties...Very unique and beautiful! Why don't you use the ends to make small pin cushions...Just an idea...

• Margaret bradtke

No answer for you but I have been looking for good direction for this project for a while. I even found the perfect stool at a rummage sale! We have soooooo man ties I’m thinking I will do a couple pillows too. ( Elvis themed ties, beatle themed ties, 80s and 90 s funk galore) should be fun. thanks,