Master Bedroom Up-cycled Bi-fold Doors Turned Reading Light W/shelf!

One bi-fold closet door becomes wall-mounted reading lights, with shelf, for the master bedroom.
We made the large king-size pallet bed and it's taken up a lot of floor space in our master bedroom. So, keeping that in mind, I wanted to come up with an idea for a side table that would mount to the wall and include a light for reading. When I found these solid wood bi-fold doors on craigslist, I knew exactly what I'd do with them.
I paid $40 for the pair of bi-fold doors. After removing brackets, hinges, door knobs, etc., I set out to work on my vision. I cut approximately 18" off the door lengths, as I wanted to mount them to the wall, resting on the floor trim.
After a good sanding, I cleaned the surface and got ready to paint. I chose an antique white as I loved the look on top of our light lavender-colored walls.
I applied a good two coats of satin paint to the doors and left them to dry overnight.
Attack of the sander! Keeping my rustic bedroom theme in mind, I lightly sanded using 220 grade sandpaper, cleaned it off and prepared the doors for the final finish.
I used a natural or light oil-stain and applied with a cotton rag, wiping off the excess as I worked.
Hand-oiled bronze sconces finished the rustic look. (Lowe's for around $25ea.)
The finished side tables with reading lights, taking up NO floor real estate. It frames our pallet bed and has just enough shelf space for a Kindle, mobile phone or book.
I should add that I had a 20" round pine table top that was cut down for the shelves and wooden shelf brackets were used for support.

• Tressa

Did you wire the sconces through the wall?

• Lori Johansen

They ARE actually sitting on the baseboards. Hard to see as they are pine on pine. :)

• Ali2577511

I have alot of wood im house like yours what colour isare the walls painted?

• Tracey L. Vinopal

This is not a question, but merely an observation of the top picture. The lamps reflection is simular to that of Alfred Hitchcock's silouette! See it?

• Doreen Kennedy

Very cute. I saved some old doors for the same purpose, but never got around to building them. I love how yours turned out.

• Doreen Kennedy

Thanks Lori, I just really like the look of yours. We still have rooms without walls and ripped up floors and so on. Our fourth home renovation. We do all our own work so if I can muster up enough energy to start one more project then I will do it.

• Lori Johansen

If it makes you feel any better, we sold that house two years ago and have been working on a complete home renovation (old farmhouse in NW Minnesota gifted to us by my father). Down to studs in most places. Haven't had time to post anything. Almost finished!! :) Both hubby and I do all the work as well, except for the roof, which we replaced last summer.