Master Bedroom Up-cycled Bi-fold Doors Turned Reading Light W/shelf!

One bi-fold closet door becomes wall-mounted reading lights, with shelf, for the master bedroom.
master bedroom up cycled bi fold doors turned reading light w shelf, bedroom ideas, diy, doors, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
We made the large king-size pallet bed and it's taken up a lot of floor space in our master bedroom. So, keeping that in mind, I wanted to come up with an idea for a side table that would mount to the wall and include a light for reading. When I found these solid wood bi-fold doors on craigslist, I knew exactly what I'd do with them.
I paid $40 for the pair of bi-fold doors. After removing brackets, hinges, door knobs, etc., I set out to work on my vision. I cut approximately 18" off the door lengths, as I wanted to mount them to the wall, resting on the floor trim.
After a good sanding, I cleaned the surface and got ready to paint. I chose an antique white as I loved the look on top of our light lavender-colored walls.
I applied a good two coats of satin paint to the doors and left them to dry overnight.
Attack of the sander! Keeping my rustic bedroom theme in mind, I lightly sanded using 220 grade sandpaper, cleaned it off and prepared the doors for the final finish.
I used a natural or light oil-stain and applied with a cotton rag, wiping off the excess as I worked.
Hand-oiled bronze sconces finished the rustic look. (Lowe's for around $25ea.)
The finished side tables with reading lights, taking up NO floor real estate. It frames our pallet bed and has just enough shelf space for a Kindle, mobile phone or book.
I should add that I had a 20" round pine table top that was cut down for the shelves and wooden shelf brackets were used for support.

• Tressa

Did you wire the sconces through the wall?

• Lori Johansen

They ARE actually sitting on the baseboards. Hard to see as they are pine on pine. :)

• Ali2577511

I have alot of wood im house like yours what colour isare the walls painted?

• Tracey L. Vinopal

This is not a question, but merely an observation of the top picture. The lamps reflection is simular to that of Alfred Hitchcock's silouette! See it?