Refinished Rubber Wood Kitchen Suite

This set is made of rubber wood which has great qualities for being a fast growing wood, very hard and durable. It is however hard to penetrate which is why the spray lacquer finishes chip easily. Also being mass produced not prepared properly is why the finishes fail.
table and four chairs, leaf out
Thanks to the internet and some q and a I came up with a plan to refinish our set which at 9 years old was due. With 4 kids and a busy house we opted for the pub style table and seating so that the extra leaf could be added, chairs swung around from counter to table and easy versatility. So oh my....8 chairs and a table hand-finished plus recovering...big job.
All of the painted area's were
deglossed
spray paint primed black
2 coats of Annie Sloan Paris Grey
sanding distressed
1 coat Annie Sloan Lacquer
light sand
top coat Annie Sloan Lacquer
Table Top
-Sanded touch more than lightly
-General finishes Black Gel stain 3 coats www.interiorstoinspire.com has a great video tutorial-light sanding after first
2 coats of general finishes satin oil top coat *watch a video...buffing does not mean the way you would buff with wax etc. You have to work with the grain as with the gel stain
dark lacquer rubber wood
kitchen nook and counter before
What more...our set was very dark, and with dark cabinets brightening up with paint was a welcome choice.
kitchen nook and counter after
I tried to take this in the same light to show how much just changing the dark to light helps our space. The second photo is 2 months later...you can see how much lower the sun is!
chair before ...pretty beat up!
New fun fabric!
and a newly covered place for pooch!
After 2 chairs I was really wondering what I was into. I'm so glad I did it, good furniture with new life, and for the helpful advice found here. This project isn't on my blog because I was really going where many have before, however I will probably do something on refinishing rubber wood!
You're all welcome to visit my blog to see many other projects!

These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Fab and Pretty

• Pam Stark Heck

I may try something similar and I am a bit terrified of it, but you have inspired me that I can do it. About how long did it take to do all of the painting of the chairs

• Carol Cole

Absolutely beautiful. I love it.