Make a Fabulous Felt Garland and Decoration Out of Old Sweaters

Upcycle some old woollen sweaters and turn them into fabulous funky felt garlands and decorations. This craft is cheap, easy and very addictive.
First gather your old woollen sweaters and wash them on a hot wash in your machine and then tumble dry them. This will shrink the sweaters and turn them into felt so they can be cut without unravelling or fraying.
Now cut your felted sweaters into 2cm squares using pinking shears. Pinking shears are only for decoration. As I think the crinkly edge adds to the craft.
Once you have a pile of cut felted squares you can then start making your garland. Thread a button or craft bell onto some strong craft/jewellery thread. Then thread your felt squares onto the thread using a tapestry needle.
You can make these garlands as long as you want and whatever colour you like. When you have finished threading your squares thread another craft bell or button on the end to act as a stop. I have made loads of these garlands, some with a candy cane stripe as in the photo above. While other garlands have been more colourful.
You can also make a lovely tree decoration with your sweater felt squares. Instead of using thread you use craft wire so that your garland can hold its shape into a small wreath.
I love these garlands as well as decorating the tree with them I place them over picture frames and use them as ribbon round presents. I just love them !
More details about making these garlands from upcycled sweaters is on my blog. If you want to know how I made those giant felt letters click here for a tutorial. .
If you want to see what fabulous other things I make with old sweaters click here.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Annie Doherty

A girl after my own heart! Maybe that's the Scottish in me! wonderful crafts like this are so inspiring,as you get a beautiful result, low cost but so wonderfully effective hats off to you Claire, thank you.

• Sandra Allen

This is just adorable! I love using it up and wearing it out so nothing gets wasted!!