Meredith Greenberg
Meredith Greenberg
  • Redondo Beach, CA

DIY Chic Storage Ottoman Project Tutorial - Tire Upcycle

$100

I decided to gift my project to my mom. She is retiring this week and she just moved into her dream home near San Diego!
My step dad is building a special enclosure space for my mom’s 3 kitties to live. He is allergic to felines and if you met my mom, you would wonder how they found each other because she is a crazy cat lady. We have big hearts. What can I say?
This space will be her own. She wants to set up a desk and a reading corner etc. Think of it as my mom’s “She Shed.”
It’s her happy place.
My mom also tends to have a lot of things and stuff everywhere. I inherited this trait too btw. But we both try so hard to keep it in check. Hidden storage is perfect for us and for those of you in small spaces!
I decided to make a cute modern feminine tufted storage ottoman for my mom to store her books. She loves to read and I know she will be doing a lot of that in this space with her fur babies.
Supplies you will need for this DIY project:
- 1 Tire
- 3 Matching Sofa Legs
- Enough Plywood to create a solid base and lid (any thickness will work) Make. It. Work.
- 66 yards Cotton Rope
- Silver thumb tacks
- 4 yards of fabric
- 8 yards of quilting batting
- Cardboard or Foam core board
- Upholstery foam (any thickness will work)
- Power Drill with drill and screwdriver bits
- Staple gun with 1/2″ staples
- Electric Cordless Crown Stapler with 3/4″ crown staples
- Jig saw with wood blade
- Wood Screws – 2 1/2″
- Spray Adhesive
- Hot Glue Gun
- Hot Glue Sticks
- Pencil
- Plastic Curves
- Ruler
diy storage ottoman project tutorial tire upcycle, diy, how to, organizing, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas, reupholster
Step 1
Get your tire. I got mine from my local America’s Tire. This tire had a nail in it and was going to disposed of, but I was able to rescue it for my project!
Step 2
Create a circular shape with your jigsaw for your base. I measured about 1″ from the edge of the tire so that the screw would stay secure and safe. I want people to be able to sit on this piece.
Once my plywood was cut I used my 2 1/2″ screws to secure the plywood base to the tire with my power drill. I just followed the circumference of the plywood.
Step 3
Attach the legs. I decided to use 3 legs instead of 4 for the style.
Step 4
I took my hot glue gun and my rope and I began winding it around the base to clean it up a little. My first circle cut wasn’t the cleanest. I was power tool shy… I haven’t played with mine in awhile. But I nailed the top. It came out looking great.
Step 5
I decided to upholster the rest of the ottoman once I used up all my rope. I used my spray adhesive, batting, and my crown stapler to secure the batting in place on the interior and exterior.
In the interior of the tire, I found that using my manual stapler worked better to secure the batting because it fits better in awkward spaces.
Step 6
I cut, placed, used my spray adhesive, and my crown stapler to secure the fabric in place over the batting. I also did this on the interior of the tire. I wanted to make sure my storage space was controlled and looked pretty.
Step 7
On a whim I decided to clean up my edges with some chic looking thumb tacks. Once stuck in the tire, they were not coming back out. I love the decorative look it gave this piece.
Step 8
I measured out and cut my top for my storage ottoman from my left over plywood with my electric jig saw.
Step 9
It came time to upholster the top of this ottoman.
I used the rest of my fabric to secure over upholstery foam. I wanted to create a tufted effect in the middle of the top.
I made my top upholstery button the DIY way aka out of cardboard that I cut in a circle, with a little bit of foam placed on top and secured fabric tightly around it. Works like a charm. This is also how I made my Faux tufted headboard in the past.
Step 10
I decided to test out my creation! I am really pleased with how it came out and my mom will be so excited to add this to her “She Shed” in her retirement bliss! I am so happy I was able to turn this old tire into something beautiful that can be enjoyed by another. This is why I love what I do.
I encourage you to share your sustainability efforts + projects and presents with me!
All you have to do is use the hashtag to share your DIY project on social media.

• Old Tire
  • Upholstery Staple Gun
  • Batting

Meredith Greenberg

• Angela Shumate

Could you please post some pictures on how you got the material inside the tire???

• Meredith Greenberg

@Angela Shumate I honestly used a manual staple gun and stapled the fabric within the interior of the tire. Just staple it until it is secure the way you would like it.

• Peggy

How do you get rid of the tire (rubber) smell ?

• Meredith Greenberg

@Peggy The rubber smell was minimal. Especially once I laid the batting on the tire. Now you can not smell anything.

• Peggy

how do you get rid of the rubber smell from the tire

• Maureen

I'm sure older ties have lost the smell as you say besides the upholstering will cover the tire enough to handle any residual odor; this is a clever project!

• Diane Naaktgeboren

@Maureen I would think the rubber smell might affect anything stored inside as it is not covered with upholstery. I think I would spray the inside with a couple coats of clear sealer and place a stick on deodorizer inside.

• Meredith Greenberg

This project did not have a rubber smell once I finished it. Maybe the layers of batting and Fabric helped remove it?

• Linda B.

How did you get rid of the tire smell?

• Lesleak

My question exactly! And I hope the tire was scrubbed thoroughly before it was upholstered. Used tires are dirty and heavens knows what they were driven through before they were discarded.

• Sharon Gehrke Wolf

Also a favorite of dogs to go on. Lol

• Kathryn Cochran Hooks

How much material do you need for project
  • Rebecca

Amazing, look great. My question is where do you use needle and thread?

• Sheri Horbachewski

Oh now I have to try your version Heres mine outside. The photo with the flowers shows that the rope started coming off. I will try your batting idea.

• Sheri Horbachewski

Your mom must be so happy, what a beautiful job you did. I think I might have to try doing one. Here is a photo of the planter I made a few years ago. My husband made the legs and I sanded and stained them. I wish I had seen yours first because I like the larger white rope you used.