Best Mirror Trick for Small Windows

$40

Need a quick and easy solution for windows that look too small? I love lots of light and big windows but they are hard to fit into most basements, which was where my new craft room was being built. I researched the topic and saw transom windows which are designed to let more light in above doorways, how could I make that work in my room?

Tiny Basement Window

Bingo! The solution was already hanging there in the unfinished basement, a narrow mirror! It was basically the same width of the window when it was turned on it's side, I wonder will it work?

Cheap, Skinny Mirror Solution

Having a carpenter for a husband makes all things possible, if you can dream it they can build it. He removed the original frame and backing from the mirror and simply glued it in place above the window with PL Premium adhesive!

I was so pleased how he then made it look so custom with the 1"x 2" wood trims he framed it all around with. To break up the boring, plain mirror he even added a couple of small strips as faux window bars.

Window and Mirror Trims Added

By leaving the window all open it lets in plenty of light but the addition of the mirror tricks the visitor into thinking it's a very large window. I hope this idea may be of some help to you also for a cheap, and easy small window enhancement !

Wood Staining Completed

This is the finished look, the walls were stained with Minwax water stain in the color Driftwood and the window trims were stained with an oil based minwax stain called Pickling White.

Final Reveal

I have a tutorial posted as well for the Pendant lights, see my other posts for many projects that were incorporated into my craft room space. I even did a brown paper floor treatment, yes paper floors that have the look of leather!

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/35060281/frugal-faux-floors-brown-paper-treatmen

• Natalie Jarnstedt

Before I saw your reply, I also thought that the mirror(s) could have been just slightly angled away from the wall at the top (such as inserting a strip of very thin wood), then the ceiling tiles would not have shown in it. I bet you're enjoying it - really does look great!

• Skilled Thrifty Creatives

The ceiling tiles are shown because of the angle I took the photo because when I'd aim it straight into the window the direct light ruined my photo. Thanks, the pictures arent doing it justice most have thought that it was all window when they enter my room.

• Cindi

Terrific idea! I wish my ceilings were high enough to do the same