The BEST Seed Starting Tips... EVER!

With the holidays behind us, it's time! Time to get a jump start on gardening, which means SEED STARTING! This task can either be a pleasure or a pain... let me show you how to really enjoy the process...
Gather seed starting supplies. I used Living Ledge Vertical Garden Seedies Window Planters, Dr. Earth Soil and a variety of seeds from Renee's Garden and Burpee.
Grab your jar of cinnamon from the pantry and set aside.
Fill your seed starting trays with your choice of soil, place seeds, add another layer of soil and top with CINNAMON! Water in until the soil is moist.
Updated: Cinnamon is an antifungal and antimicrobial. It will help to prevent fungus growth and issues with dampening off.
Place your Living Ledge Vertical Garden Trays in a east or south facing window for winter seed starting or in a north or west facing window for summer seed starting. Place your filled seedling trays on the shelves and keep moist, watering only from the bottom of the watertight shelf. When you see your seedlings emerge, rotate your seedling tray twice per day, continuing to water from the bottom.
Watch and enjoy your new seedlings emerge. No issues with fungus, no issues with dampening off.
With the use of cinnamon and the right seed starting containers you will have many years of seed starting bliss ahead of you. Happy Growing!
~ Chrissy Rex

Chrissy Rex

• Rose Cottage

I want to share this project of seed starting using cinnamon. Can you give me a link or let me know how to share it on FB or in a message.

• Angela LaPrise

If you’re viewing on your phone, there’s a share link in the upper right corner, or you could click on the 3 vertical dots in the bottom right corner to open in Safari and save the link

• Tinkerbellabell

Will this work on over water cactus that I’m trying out to bring back to life. Please say yes byhanks

• Bobby Harpoon

The cinnamon is used to stop mold and fungus from starting in wet conditions. What is the purpose of this formula you mention?

• West Point mom

Can you put cinnamon in existing plants in the pot which stays out in summer and in side the house in winter. Lots of fly around it when comes pots in the house

• Bobby Harpoon

The cinnamon is used to stop mold and fungus from starting in wet conditions. What is it you are trying to do with your existing plants? If they have mold in them you can sprinkle the cinnamon on the soil around them. It can burn your plants if you get a large amount of it on leaves of a plant.

• Sandra

I’m going to try this. Great idea!

• Bobby Harpoon

I read the article very quickly. I don't think you mentioned the purpose of the cinnamon. In case someone does read this comment it is for controlling mold and fungus from forming on the constant wet soil and pots. A diluted 50/50 mix of 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE and distilled water sprayed on the surface of the soil will also assist in stopping the seed killers. (mold and fungus) Good luck on your seed adventures!