Chrissy Rex
Chrissy Rex
  • Johnson City, NY

The BEST Seed Starting Tips... EVER!

With the holidays behind us, it's time! Time to get a jump start on gardening, which means SEED STARTING! This task can either be a pleasure or a pain... let me show you how to really enjoy the process...
Gather seed starting supplies. I used Living Ledge Vertical Garden Seedies Window Planters, Dr. Earth Soil and a variety of seeds from Renee's Garden and Burpee.
Grab your jar of cinnamon from the pantry and set aside.
Fill your seed starting trays with your choice of soil, place seeds, add another layer of soil and top with CINNAMON! Water in until the soil is moist.
Updated: Cinnamon is an antifungal and antimicrobial. It will help to prevent fungus growth and issues with dampening off.
Place your Living Ledge Vertical Garden Trays in a east or south facing window for winter seed starting or in a north or west facing window for summer seed starting. Place your filled seedling trays on the shelves and keep moist, watering only from the bottom of the watertight shelf. When you see your seedlings emerge, rotate your seedling tray twice per day, continuing to water from the bottom.
Watch and enjoy your new seedlings emerge. No issues with fungus, no issues with dampening off.
With the use of cinnamon and the right seed starting containers you will have many years of seed starting bliss ahead of you. Happy Growing!
~ Chrissy Rex

Chrissy Rex

• Kandie Mack

Can you apply this method on fresh fruit seeds?

• Carolyn Browder

Can I use cinnamon after seedlings are up ?

• Rose Cottage

I want to share this project of seed starting using cinnamon. Can you give me a link or let me know how to share it on FB or in a message.

• Barbara R.

Try it. You have nothing to lose

• Kathy McMahon

The summer is nearing a close. Into the last two weeks of August. But I differently want to start seeding next spring. Just have to find a place to save your information.

Thank you, Kathy