Peachesandsalt
Peachesandsalt
  • Brooklyn, NY

DIY Hanging Shower Planter

We're officially obsessed with indoor gardening and plants in general. We decided that we needed plants in every single room, so we built our own 'raining' plant hanger. I was skeptical about how it would turn out, but I'm actually really in love with it. It took us less than an hour to build and was easy to hang from the ceiling.

Make one for your shower using our guide below!

MATERIALS:

• (1) 1'x1'x8' board
  • Chicken wire cut to 1'x2'
  • (1) Roll fiberglass screen
  • Staple gun and staples
  • Plants
  • Small gauge chains
  • Metal hooks
  • Soil

TOOLS:

• Wire cutters
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Wood Screws
  • Drill

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Go to your local hardware store (we went to Lowes) and pick up your supplies. If you don't have a saw, ask the wood department to cut your board into 2 pieces: (2) 2' sections and (2) 1' sections.

2. Layout your boards in the shape of a rectangle and pre-drill the holes so your wood won't split when you screw them together. Screw all 4 boards together.

3. Cut your chicken wire with the wire cutters to fit the rectangle and then staple around the edges so it's tightly secured. Cut off the excess chicken wire around the edges.

4. Fold over your fiberglass mesh 4x so it's thick. This will keep your soil from falling out. Staple it around the edges, right over the top of the chicken wire layer, so it's tightly secured.

5. Add your hooks to the corners of your planter. Our hooks had clamps, which made them easier to hang. Then screw your 4 regular ceiling hooks into the ceiling, after you have measured the right distance.

6. Take your plants and separate them by gently breaking apart the soil and dividing them by the root.

7. Measure out where you want each plant to go on the black mesh (this is where you will make holes for the plants). We made holes 2 inches apart using a ruler. You can use a knife to make each hole.

8. Gently feed the roots through each hole and add a layer a soil that completely covers them.

9. Moisten the soil so you can see the roots and layer with more soil. You can continue to add more soil wherever needed.

10. Hang your planter above the shower and get ready to enjoy!

Peachesandsalt

• Joe Jones

Do you have some better pictures of it complete with the shower as a whole not just the plant

• Kathy

That is just silly. Why would you do that? What's the point?

• Patricia Salvador

This plant thrives on warm and steamy climate. They grow wild in Hawaii. As fir their benefit, plants give off oxygen and they help filter the air. That's why she has them throughout her house.

• Eva Kisocama

Looks very tropical but what about the chicken wire & screws rusting, or the wood warping both from water/steam exposure? I'm also scared of bugs which would find this a cozy place to take up house! 😵 Not for me but very creative! 🙂

• Sherri Altman

I wish I could hang a big one on my living room ceiling. One that covers the whole celing but I don't know how it would work. I guess silk plants so I wouldn't have to water them. I am very bad at growing anything anyway.

• Michele Morgan

Ferns thrive in steamy humid weather as well, I wonder if they would grow well upside down too? Just a thought. My grandma was always putting her ferns in the tub while running hot water. 😁