DIY Hanging Shower Planter

We're officially obsessed with indoor gardening and plants in general. We decided that we needed plants in every single room, so we built our own 'raining' plant hanger. I was skeptical about how it would turn out, but I'm actually really in love with it. It took us less than an hour to build and was easy to hang from the ceiling. Make one for your shower using our guide below!
diy hanging shower planter, bathroom ideas, container gardening, gardening
MATERIALS:
• (1) 1'x1'x8' board
• Chicken wire cut to 1'x2'
• (1) Roll fiberglass screen
• Staple gun and staples
• Plants
• Small gauge chains
• Metal hooks
• Soil
TOOLS:
• Wire cutters
• Needle nose pliers
• Wood Screws
• Drill
INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Go to your local hardware store (we went to Lowes) and pick up your supplies. If you don't have a saw, ask the wood department to cut your board into 2 pieces: (2) 2' sections and (2) 1' sections
2. Layout your boards in the shape of a rectangle and pre-drill the holes so your wood won't split when you screw them together. Screw all 4 boards together.
3. Cut your chicken wire with the wire cutters to fit the rectangle and then staple around the edges so it's tightly secured. Cut off the excess chicken wire around the edges.
4. Fold over your fiberglass mesh 4x so it's thick. This will keep your soil from falling out. Staple it around the edges, right over the top of the chicken wire layer, so it's tightly secured.
5. Add your hooks to the corners of your planter. Our hooks had clamps, which made them easier to hang. Then screw your 4 regular ceiling hooks into the ceiling, after you have measured the right distance.
6. Take your plants and separate them by gently breaking apart the soil and dividing them by the root.
7. Measure out where you want each plant to go on the black mesh (this is where you will make holes for the plants). We made holes 2 inches apart using a ruler. You can use a knife to make each hole.
8. Gently feed the roots through each hole and add a layer a soil that completely covers them.
9. Moisten the soil so you can see the roots and layer with more soil. You can continue to add more soil wherever needed.
10. Hang your planter above the shower and get ready to enjoy!
Peachesandsalt

• Lisa

What about cleaning your shower? As pretty as this is, I think it has the possibility of holding too much moisture in the air leading to a mold problem in the room.

• Why does it say it costs $100-$200 to make?

• Ilona Buratti

Consider using pvc pipe, and those plastic ties...this looks easy enough to remove, change plants, let them have some sun...put them on a schedule for sun lite. A good hosing off occasionally.

this is not a no maintenance item, plan on that and you can enjoy the effect.

remove old leaves, and dying (non thriving) pants. Try to keep it lite weight for that chore.

• Susan

Would soap/shampoo/conditioner be harmful to plants? After all, it does build up on shower/tub surfaces. And I have no windows in my bathrooms.

• Alice

Love it, enjoy.

• Jud10909674

Growing up around chicken wire I never attributed it to spa material lol. However that looks very nice and if my mom was still alive I know what my next project would be.