DIY Hanging Shower Planter

We're officially obsessed with indoor gardening and plants in general. We decided that we needed plants in every single room, so we built our own 'raining' plant hanger. I was skeptical about how it would turn out, but I'm actually really in love with it. It took us less than an hour to build and was easy to hang from the ceiling.

Make one for your shower using our guide below!

MATERIALS:

• (1) 1'x1'x8' board
  • Chicken wire cut to 1'x2'
  • (1) Roll fiberglass screen
  • Staple gun and staples
  • Plants
  • Small gauge chains
  • Metal hooks
  • Soil

TOOLS:

• Wire cutters
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Wood Screws
  • Drill

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Go to your local hardware store (we went to Lowes) and pick up your supplies. If you don't have a saw, ask the wood department to cut your board into 2 pieces: (2) 2' sections and (2) 1' sections.

2. Layout your boards in the shape of a rectangle and pre-drill the holes so your wood won't split when you screw them together. Screw all 4 boards together.

3. Cut your chicken wire with the wire cutters to fit the rectangle and then staple around the edges so it's tightly secured. Cut off the excess chicken wire around the edges.

4. Fold over your fiberglass mesh 4x so it's thick. This will keep your soil from falling out. Staple it around the edges, right over the top of the chicken wire layer, so it's tightly secured.

5. Add your hooks to the corners of your planter. Our hooks had clamps, which made them easier to hang. Then screw your 4 regular ceiling hooks into the ceiling, after you have measured the right distance.

6. Take your plants and separate them by gently breaking apart the soil and dividing them by the root.

7. Measure out where you want each plant to go on the black mesh (this is where you will make holes for the plants). We made holes 2 inches apart using a ruler. You can use a knife to make each hole.

8. Gently feed the roots through each hole and add a layer a soil that completely covers them.

9. Moisten the soil so you can see the roots and layer with more soil. You can continue to add more soil wherever needed.

10. Hang your planter above the shower and get ready to enjoy!

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Peachesandsalt

• Flower girl

I also like plants everywhere, but I have a dark bathroom so I use artificial ivy. Never would have thought of plants from the ceiling. Maybe if they trailed down as if they were part of the shower curtain? Clever.

• Panamachick

How do you keep the soil from slipping through the holes?

• Melody Boling Medlock

I remember when I first seen this post long ago. My question is do you still love it? Have you had issues with soil falling on you while you shower? I too love plants in my home and have a couple in my bathroom. I'm just not too keen on having them overhead while I shower. I wonder how this would work in a different area of the house instead?

• Imjhale

I wondered the same thing as I know the chicken while whil rust and not hold up. I'm going to try something similar on my porch (it has high ceilings) and look for other options to replace the chicken wire. Maybe hardware cloth and heavy duty weed block.

• Melinda Brown Inglesby

You must have a really high ceiling- in my bathroom the plants would be showering with me!

• Jennifer

This would great to do for a pegoda ( or something similar). I personal wouldn't do it in the shower, as over time the mesh would break and soil would end up in the shower. This would be bad, I learn this the hard way. I once tried to use bathtub to re-pot a Wisteria I was making into a bonsai. Dirt end up clogging the drain and everything I used ( even bleach) wouldn't declog it enough until I tried Green Gobbler. That worked, but it smells REALLY bad. Like rotten eggs or sufur. IT took a long time for the smell to go away too. Even with all the windows in the house open. Point is HIGHLY don't recommend in Showers.