It Almost Made the Trash But Instead It Helps Organize

After leaving our damp clothes on the drying rack outside in 17 degree weather, I was inspired to use the drying rack in a new way.
When I saw the wonky top of the drying rack, I thought it might help organize my drawers. Having the dowels fit inside the drawer and be able to slide to fit different sized shirts.
My drying rack was about to make the trash can. It barely stood upright.
This is my overflowing drawer.
Instead of trashing the drying rack I took it apart.
I fired up the hot glue gun with wood glue sticks
Two wood sides of the rack was glue to each side of the drawer leaving a space between for the round dowels to side.
Here's the finished organized drawer that now holds 5 more shirts ALL within view. Next the sock drawer!

Country Design Style-Jeanette

• Lori

So, what you are doing is folding the shirts or whatever and laying them over a rod, right? The other benefit to that is none of the shirts get '' pressure wrinkles" from all the ones piled on top. Good idea.

• Lori

Probably Chris but this was going to the trash, cost nothing but a wee bit of time, works well, looks good, it's a winner to me. I am assuming you meant tension rods, right?
  • Mikkigirl

I like the idea but don't understand how the shirts fit around the dowel rods. Do they lay over top and hang down or are they wrapped around the rods? Thank you!

• Barb

My granddaughter used to do the same thing when she was young!

• Alradborn

I read that you used wood glue in glue gun. I've never heard of it. Google wasn't much help. Where do I find such a thing?

• Millies_mom47

Gorilla glue works excellent and it sticks to anything! However you need to clamp it in place while it dries unless what you're gluing is laying flat. But even then it needs to be weighed down. Make sure you read the instructions on the bottle as there are more than one type of Gorilla Glue. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Gorilla Glue!! Also the Gorilla Tapes are excellent for stick power. We were in a car accident and our headlight casing was damaged and we couldn't afford to replace it right away so I bought some clear vinyl like you use to make tablecovers with and the clear Gorilla Packing Tape and it held the vinyl in place until we could get the car repaired and because our headlight bulb couldn't get wet or it'd stop working, it kept it bone dry inside as this happened in the spring during a snow melt. So Gorilla Glue and Tape works wonders!! Trust the glue!!