How I Solved Our Entryway Shoe-Pile Problem for 29 Cents

$3

Raise your hand if you have a pile up of shoes by your front door or in your entryway!
Ugh. Shoes. I've tried so many ways to keep them organized but at the end of the day, it's still more convenient to kick them off at the door than to walk over to the closet and put them away.
On a recent trip to the hardware store, I found my solution nestled in the Christmas clearance bins: clear suction wreath hooks. I was pretty sure the suction mechanism would not work on plaster walls, but at 29 cents apiece I had nothing to lose!
Sure enough, the suction didn't work, but if you happen to have a glass or mirrored entryway, these hooks will stick like glue!
After a bit of hammer and nailing, here was my finished result. The clear rubber and plastic blend into the wall.
Since shoes aren't very heavy and since the rubber of these large suction hooks is thick and sturdy, the nails cause no tearing or ripping. And now our shoes are off the ground and no longer in a pile.
To create your own shoe hanging area, you will need:
-8-10 large rubber suction wreath hooks
-16-20 thin nails (preferably with thin, round heads)
-wall level
-Pencil
-Hammer
Using a wall level, draw a straight line across the area of wall you'd like to place your hooks. Make sure the line is at least 1 foot above the baseboards so that your shoes don't drag on the floor once they are hung.
Though I wasn't picky with my measurements, I suggest hanging the hooks starting in the center of your line and working your way out for the most even look.
Line the top of a suction cup up to your line. Place a nail halfway between the center of the suction cup and the left edge. Hammer nail in all the way if your nails have round heads. (I didn't have such nails and was impatient so I used trim nails instead. Just hammer nail in 2/3rds of the way and use the hammer to bend the nail sideways to hold the cup in place).
Repeat the nailing process on the other side, only this time, press the suction cup into the wall so that the cup lays flat and uniform to the wall.
It's been several days and not one shoe pile-up since the hooks were installed. For more on this project and how I achieved the lattice effect on my walls, visit my blog post below!

Leilani Smith

• Kathleen Lauer-Binkley

To me, it doesn't look much better on the wall then on the floor. Why didn't you put the hooks inside the the closet? Seems like the back of the door would have been a better place.

• Rhonda

Yes and where did you get your wall paper?

• DD 66

Looks like its a stencil....and its beautiful!

• Jjqq

In your first photo you show 4 pairs of shoes on the floor. In final photo - only 3 pairs of shoes on wall - so which family member was forced to take their shoes to the closet? If this were to work to get rid of shoe clutter- more hooks needed- or as another person suggested I would use bottom shelves on book case instead.

• Donna

I love your idea for de-cluttering the floor. If I were to use this idea, I would

use the "command hooks" now available in all sizes and shapes for specific hanging needs and object weights. They stick very well, with no nails and remove from the surface they are attached to, quickly and easily with no sticky goo left behind and no harm to the surface they were attached to, so you can move them anytime you want, to reuse them in another area. I live in a two story home and the only thing the stairs are used for is climbing up to the second story. I routinely look at all things in my home and contemplate what else each space could be used for. So, I built drawers under each stair riser and I use that space to hold all of my shoes, and many other things. Then I built drawers under the stairway to hold even more things. I love drawers - no dusting of the contents needed, LOL.

• Linda Faye Baines
    37 minutes ago

Great ideal