A DIY Mosaic Mirror That Only Looks Expensive

The mosaic style is very popular here in Florida. The problem is, the designs are usually expensive. We were certain we could make a decorative mirror at a fraction of the price.
The first step.
The first step.
We started with a mirror from the craft store, mosaic tiles, and a 2 x 2-foot piece of wood. We glued the mirror onto the center of the wood piece.
Second step.
Second step.
Next, we used the mosaic tiles to create a border around the mirror. We secured each piece with industrial strength adhesive.
Third step.
Third step.
We then took some copper wire and bent it into a swirly shape. We added these to the board to give it some flair. We then cut our mosaic tiles into smaller pieces and glued them around the copper wire.
Fourth step.
Fourth step.
To give our tiles that blended look, we sealed everything in with black tile grout.
Fifth step.
Fifth step.
To fill in the blank spaces, we spread adhesive on the wood and added some crushed shells. We let it dry overnight {and kept our fingers crossed it would turn out okay}.
Finally! The results are in!
Finally! The results are in!
And we couldn't help but admire our results since this was our first time doing this. Yes, we did it! We created a DIY Mosaic Decorative Mirror for less than $50.

Kimberly C Dickerson

• Cheryl

How did you secure the wire?

• Barbara Lowell

Hi, North FL here. Can u pls tell me the exact glue you used and grout sanded, or unhanded? I have done shell mirrors with E6000 and it was super toxic ~ fumes and a bit too rubbery. Also how exactly do you get the tiles cut straight into quarters? With my tools they go sideways or angular or crushed. Can you upload the tool and the glue and grout answers? Love the copper idea, and your artistry and symmetry are perfect. Great clear instructions. Love it!

• Lisa B.

Maybe use liquid nails or silicone calk. Every project I have ever done with hot glue, eventually the hot glue gets brittle and the thing falls off. Not worth the effort.

NOTE: I adore E6000 for just about everything. Unless it will get hot. Heat turns it gooey (a big surprise the first time I used a favorite mug with an E6000 repaired handle to have a nice cup of tea =o).

• Kathy

How do you get the tiles so small? Do you have to cut them? If so how do you cut tiles?

• Wilma EISEN

Beautiful - I wanted to do a project to frame my large bathroom mirror - thank you for this terrific and unusual idea

• Wilma EISEN

simply beautiful - Thank you for your idea. I'm going to try this project on my bathroom mirror.