How to Easily Remove Hard Water Deposits

I don't know how it happened or when it happened but one day when I looked down at my kitchen sink faucet there was grime and hard water deposits that had accumulated from the past 10 years! One day there was nothing and the next day bam it was there! It was disgusting and I wanted it gone ASAP so I broke out the big guns and with ease was able to remove 10 years of hard water deposits in 15 mintues! Check out the before and after pictures and find out what tools you need to remove hardwater deposits like this. http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com/2013/04/reviving-old-kitchen-sink-faucet.html
how to easily remove hard water deposits, home maintenance repairs, how to, Years of hard water deposits and grime accumulated ove time
Years of hard water deposits and grime accumulated over time.
how to easily remove hard water deposits, home maintenance repairs, how to, 15 minutes later Major difference
15 minutes later! Major difference!
how to easily remove hard water deposits, home maintenance repairs, how to, Start by saturating the entire area with a 60 40 percent mixture of white vinegar and water Spray the area liberally with a spray bottle and let the mixture sit for a few minutes This will help loosen everything up
Start by saturating the entire area with a 60-40 percent mixture of white vinegar and water. Spray the area liberally with a spray bottle and let the mixture sit for a few minutes. This will help loosen everything up.
how to easily remove hard water deposits, home maintenance repairs, how to, Then take an old handy dandy toothbrush and start scrubbing the water deposits The gunk and hard water deposits will start to break off in little chunks Then rinse with steaming hot water
Then take an old handy dandy toothbrush and start scrubbing the water deposits. The gunk and hard water deposits will start to break off in little chunks. Then rinse with steaming hot water.
how to easily remove hard water deposits, home maintenance repairs, how to, Now that you have cleaned off the top layer grab a scouring pad to get the stubborn spots Just moisten the pad with a little hot water and begin scrubbing the crevices where the remaining water deposits are
Now that you have cleaned off the top layer, grab a scouring pad to get the stubborn spots. Just moisten the pad with a little hot water and begin scrubbing the crevices where the remaining water deposits are.
how to easily remove hard water deposits, home maintenance repairs, how to, You can see the blue soap from the scouring pad where I had to scrub a little harder than the toothbrush would allow
You can see the blue "soap" from the scouring pad where I had to scrub a little harder than the toothbrush would allow.
how to easily remove hard water deposits, home maintenance repairs, how to, Now give it one final rinse with hot water and use your dry eraser to clean off smudges This step kind of polishes it off but is not necessary if you don t have any minor surface level scuffs
Now give it one final rinse with hot water and use your dry eraser to clean off smudges. This step kind of "polishes" it off but is not necessary if you don't have any minor surface level scuffs.
how to easily remove hard water deposits, home maintenance repairs, how to, One final rinse and a wipe down with a paper towel and you are done my friend And no harmful chemicals were used which is a bonus
One final rinse and a wipe down with a paper towel and you are done my friend! And no harmful chemicals were used which is a bonus!
how to easily remove hard water deposits, home maintenance repairs, how to, Voila Now your sink faucet shines like a brand new one With a little elbow grease and a couple cleaning tools and supplies you have saved yourself lots of money and can prolong the life of your existing sink and faucet
Voila! Now your sink faucet shines like a brand new one!!! With a little elbow grease and a couple cleaning tools and supplies you have saved yourself lots of money and can prolong the life of your existing sink and faucet!
Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos

• Kathy Reid

Doesn't the scouring pad damage the surface?

• Mary Smith

Yes. They also damage counter top s and other surfaces. Be very careful.

• Patsy

You may try using a nylon scrubber.

• Tinam21502

Can you use this mixture on stainless steel

• Pat6901438

yes, add 6 cups of water, 4 cups of vinegar and 2 tablespoons of dawn. I divide it in spray bottles and keep each bottle in my bathrooms, kitchen, deck and washing machine. Cleans everything in site.

• Tinam21502

Thank you

• Gerri Link

no need to scour just soak a cloth in vinegar wrap it around the tap or place and leave overnight vola unwrap rise and dry should be all gone.straight vinegar will hurt nothing.. I have done this for years ,as our water has lots of minerals in it.

• Tinam21502

Thank you

• Jeannie.mcquaid

Caution on the Vinegar Gerry. My dear sweet hubby did me a "favor" and wrapped a vinegar soaked cloth around the taps in the rec room bathroom. It etched the metal on the faucette as well as taking the shine out of the laminate counter top around the sink.

• S D

Why is the Dawn neccessary? It takes a lot more rinsing

• Carol

Where was Dawn mentioned?

• S D

Sorry. It must have been down, a misread. Thank you for your response. S D

• Donna Ehring

Do I have to replace the hose to get the inside of it clean?

• Mar22274035

Any idea how to do this with the hard water deposits in a toilet bowl? The vinegar would be too diluted.
    • Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos

Possibly let the vinegar sit and soak in the toilet bowl for 24 hours to loosen up the hard water? Also there is a scouring bar sold at WM that I have seen people use to break off the hard water in the toilet bowl.

• Jacquelyne May

You can add bleach to the tank to keep stains from forming.
    • Vicki

The scouring bar is a pumice stone. Any type works, even if it is one for your feet.
    • Dale

You can use a plunger to lower the water level in the bowl. Just keep plunging it into the drain (???) until the water is below the level of the stains. Then, spray or apply the cleaner and let sit. Use a pumice stone on the hard-to-clean areas. Flush.
    • Linda Sikut

You might also try the toilet bowl bombs that was posted here on hometalk.com https://www.mom4real.com/make-your-own-toilet-cleaning-bombs/
    • Carol

Empty the water from the toilet bowl saturate paper towels with white vinegar press them on the deposit areas and let set for several hours. I put up a sign so no one would use the toilet and flush the paper towels accidentally. In a few hours or overnight if really bad build up just discard the paper towels and clean toilet with a brush. All deposits will be dissolved.
    • Mar22274035

Thanks. Will try the paper towels and if not maybe one of the other ideas. The pumice stone has helped some but it is pretty hard.
    • Sissylea

The Works toilet bowl cleaner is Amazing . Usually sold at Dollar General etc
    • Amg7547659

I believe the pumice stone will etch the porcelian, damage the toilet and make it easier for grime and hard water salts to adhere to the surface
    • Purtty123

I agree with Sissy I used to Works all the time. You can also buy this at the Dollar Tree.

• Dot Cain-Gelwick

In order to get the "ring around the toilet" I first clean the toilet really well with whatever cleaning product I have, usually Awesome products from the Dollar Store. Flush and turn the water off so the water is below the ring. I sprinkle Ajax or Comet on the ring and rub it in, let it set for awhile and then use a piece of a metal screen (off of old window screens - if you can find one, they are all some kind of plastic now days.) Next you scrub the ring and let it soak for about 30 minutes. Scrub again and the ring should be gone! I learned this from my sister and she gave me the 2"X4" pieces of screen. Needless to say I keep my screens hidden
      CAUTION: DON'T USE THE SCREEN ON FIBERGLASS TOILETS AND/OR SHOWERS, THEY WILL SCRATCH!
    • Juls

I don't know if this will work, but I read about it at least 40 years ago, pour a can of Coke into the toilet and let it work for an hour or so, or longer. Then use the brush and flush. It's suppose to get rid of rust and scum, it just might work on water deposits too. I personally dislike the Works, it doesn't even get rid of the bad smells, waste or money and only caused frustrations.
    • Mar22274035

Well my dad used to use Coke to clean the rust off the machinery when I was growing up. I lived on a farm and it was the only time we ever had Coke around. Certainly worth a try.
    • Suz21026200

After you get the bowl really clean and dry, use a good paste car wax to polish the inside. Stays cleaner longer.
    • Suz21026200

• Bobby Freadrich

Use CLR spray cleaner! It will clean just about anything I have found...
    • Jamie

Coca Cola works wonders
    • Mcgypsy9

Marilynscholze....there is a bar called a Pumice which I was brought up using and have used all my life. This is really the only thing that will get rid of all the stains. You wet it and scrub it as if you were scrubbing it with a brush. I recently within the last 2 months had taken some up to my daughter in law. She lives 2 1/2 hrs. From us. I told her what it was and what it was used for. A few weeks later she called me with OMG where do you get these things...lol! Do not use these on plastic. These are basically for your porcelain toilets, tubs stuff like that. You will be happy you invested in this and Walmart now carries them!
    • Esawyer

I pour about 2 cups of white vinegar & a good squirt of Dawn dish soap into the toilet bowl, swish & brush it around thoroughly, let it sit for around an hour, complete by scrubbing with a toilet brush. Works GREAT. Environmentally safe, kills bacteria, bad smells & is a cheap & highly effective cleaner. Best solution I have found.
  • Jan hunter

Any tips on how to get rid of hard water residue from the inside of a stainless steel interior in my dishwasher?
    • Arlene

Every couple of months I run my dishwasher through a cycle with Kool-Aid Lemonade (yellow) in the soap dispenser. Works like a charm!
    • Jan hunter

oh thank-you.Added the koolaid to my shopping list
    • Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos

I have used vinegar in the dishwasher and also bought those cleansing tablets as well and liked both methods.
    • Shirley Hobbs

We have very hard water, I use lemony shine every time. You should find it with the dishwasher soaps. Makes my glassware shine and no spots in the dishwasher.
    • Prelude

Yes, agree with Shirley, I use Lemi Shine Booster. Usually get it at Walmart.
    • Jan hunter

Thank you
  • Judi Lawrence

Does this technique work on faucets mounted on granite?
    • Nancy Hall

Never use vinegar in granite.
    • Sharon Lantz

actually you can use vinegar on granite, it is marble you can't as it will react with the calcium. Granite is igneous rock and will not react.
  • Margaret Abney Schiro

Will this work on a refrigerator where the ice & water dispenser is? It's plastic.
  • K

Does it damage bronzed faucets? My water is from a deep drilled well that brings all special sorts of issues with it. Absolutely delicious water, though.
    • Njlou

The vinegar is ok but the brillo pad will scratch. Increase the vinegar strength and use a toothbrush. It may take a few applications to resolve.
    • Lana Hassell

Vinegar full strength is good for cleaning and does not hurt anything. My water is also from a deep well. Hard, full of calcium chloride, but tastes wonderful. Vinegar cleans Windows, too.
    • Kay

Bi Card of Soda is non abrasive, plus tooth past, is non abrasive to. Use an old soft tooth brush, to help get rid of the build up of gunck, then Just rince and wipe/buff dry with paper towle afterwards. Fegards the coffee pot question, I use viniger in my kettle. It works great! Just remember to rince well afterwards and vola a nice cleen kettle inside! Kay Adelaide Australia ☺

• Robyn Garner

Caution re vinegar: It is especially important to avoid using acidic cleaning products, or vinegar, or lemon juice, on calcium-based stones like marble, limestone, or travertine. Acids will react with the calcium in the stone and etch, or dull the surface.
  • Pad335458

Can you use it on onyx?
    • Robyn Garner

Vinegar should never be used on stone. However, I think you may be asking about using on a black faucet. That should be fine!
  • Margaret Mason

Have you used vinegar to clear hard water deposits in your coffee pot?

• Lana Hassell

Yes, it does a wonderful job. Run it through 2 times with the vinegar, then 2 or 3 times with clear water. You will need to use a coffee filter to catch the hard water sediment. You will be amazed at how a your coffee pot works after doing this -- just like new. I use it full strength. Good luck. By the way, I also use it full strength when i clean and I had NEVER used steel wool on my faucets. Vinegar used full does not hurt anything, and it sure works on hard water sediment.
  • 33579864

Wonder if I can use it without the sos on granite??

• Shirley

How do you clean bathtub that have hard water stains.This tub is white

• Danielle Odin

Why use Heinz, it is expensive. I use the stare brand which is cheaper. At Smart & Final if you buy 3 gallons you get it for a lot less.
  • Joanie

I'll be tryin' this fix......thank you!