Upcycled Wire Spool Ottoman

Sometimes, when I least expect it, a project will just appear to me out of a dumpster. I wasn't looking...well, I must have looked at some point...but I definitely wasn't looking on purpose. I was on my way to one of my favorite stores...no, not the shoe store...the Home Depot, when I spot this great wire spool just peeking out of the top of a dumpster.
upcycled wire spool ottoman, diy, repurposing upcycling, reupholster
Actually they had quite a few, they must have been doing some major rewiring, but all I wanted was one. I had never worked with a wire spool before, but I know it has been done.
After sitting in my garage for a few weeks, I was ready to turn this spool into an ottoman.
I gathered up a few supplies I had around the house that I thought I could use to construct the ottoman. A 4x4 for the feet, the wooden back of an old picture frame whose glass had broken and some leftover mdf from a previous project.
The feet were made from four, 3 inch pieces of the 4x4. The 4 corners were trimmed with a chop saw then sanded smooth.
The feet were positioned on the bottom of the spool then screwed on from the inside of the spool.
For structure, I used 1 inch strips of mdf and the back of the picture frame nailed all around the outside of the spool. You may want to get these even closer than I have here... I found out when I pulled the fabric taut, that you can see a bit of the edges on the bottom.
The feet were then finished with 2 coats of a dark walnut Varathane... Polyurethane and stain in one easy step.
For the top, I used a 2 inch piece of foam. Turn your spool over to use the top of the wire spool as a pattern.
The foam was cut out and the top edge trimmed just a bit so it doesn't have a hard edge.
The ottoman was wrapped with quilt batting and that was tacked into place with a stapler.
Cut another piece of fabric a few inches taller than your ottoman and a couple inches longer than the circumference.
I also used the top of the spool as a pattern to cut out the fabric for the top of the ottoman. This time the fabric was about an inch wider than the spool for a nice seam allowance.
With the wrong side out , pin the fabric into place exactly how tight you'll want the fabric on the ottoman. These pins will be your sewing line.
When all the pins are in place, take the cover off the ottoman and sew. I sewed the side seam first, followed by the top circle.
After sewing, turn your fabric right side out, and pull back over the spool. Staple from the bottom.
This wire spool was 2 feet in diameter so it would make a great coffee table for a small space or for a family with toddlers...no pointy edges.
As always, if you need more pictures, more step by step, more instructions...click on the link below. I'd love to have you visit me.

ScavengerChic