Basement Craft Room Ceiling

$0

The craft room ceiling was a work in progress a lot longer than I thought it would be. Finding the right look without spending much made my brain hurt from so much thinking...LOL!
basement craft room ceiling, basement ideas, craft rooms, diy, home improvement, wall decor
This is what needed to be covered...but with what??
I spent many hours, days and possibly weeks staring at it over and over. The first thought was to cover it with paint and maybe give it a more light and open feeling.
My vision for this creative space did not include this dark, dirty wood.
When I say unfinished basement I mean just that. Insulation is showing around the entire ceiling so covering that was another challenge to overcome
Instead of looking at it repeatedly I knew it was time to just dive in. One afternoon when I got home from work the paint came out and I got busy. That was a Friday and by Saturday evening it was done....well sort of done. The paint was soaking into the wood and it was very difficult to get even coverage. The beams were taking the paint pretty well and at least it looked a little cleaner and brighter.
So back it was to staring at it.....
Then I saw this lovely room and the ceiling!!
Finally I knew what might work.
Fabric :)
I have lots of curtains that are used for different seasons around my home. There were some I knew I had not used in a very long time that would give the soft and bright look I was going for.
It did not take long and I was headed to my storage area to grab what I needed. The curtains were cut lengthwise in half and gathered to fit the spaces between the beams.
I borrowed my hubby's heavy duty stapler to secure the fabric at each end. Standing on a step ladder and holding the fabric while stapling is no easy task. I may look for something to finish the edges where the staples went in later but for now it will do just fine :)
I left a skirt to cover that yucky insulation that was showing around the edge. I think it softens it pretty well.
This portion of the craft room project cost me nothing but my time.

Karen @ Southern Gal Meets Midwest

• Lavonna

I have a basement sewing room much like yours, except it is a walk out basement. I have thought of doing this on the walls. All the pink insulation shows and my room seems dark. I cannot afford to finish off my basement so you have given me an idea. I also have thought about stringing Christmas lights in ceiling, which is open like yours, to give extra brightness. You have inspired me to try it. Thanks for your post. I have been searching Pinterest for just such and idea. Think it would work or any other ideas?
  • Rob

I have the same basement ceilings and painted (white) cinder block walls and painted concrete flooring antique yellow. Just painting the ceiling floor boards a soft white will help. Thanks. I think I will use a paint product that retards moisture. I don't want to invest in the lighting idea nor do I want to fill the room in or clutter it. I do want the ceiling and room to appear interesting, bright and useful for when I sell in the future. Anyone have any ideas?

• Lisa

What did you do at light fixtures?

• Joanie

Clever and unique and BEAUTIFUL!!! I love different ideas of work and beauty!! Thanks for sharin'.

• Bonnie Vaughn

I'm going to the thrift store and buying sheets. I'll rip them down and come out way ahead on the bucks.