Lori Greco
Lori Greco
  • Franklin, MA

Gold Dipped & Newspaper Eggs

$6

Here's a super easy way to transform those dollar store plastic eggs into beautiful, chic Easter decorations.
I am really loving the gold dipped trend. I figured I could do this technique on Easter eggs for a fun decoration. And I wanted to pair the gold with a contrasting material so I went with something we all have around the house, newspapers. Black, white & gold - so classic and yet so modern and chic. And since I have so, so many of those plastic eggs from our annual Easter egg hunts, I thought they would be the perfect eggs to transform. If I made mistakes, I had plenty more to work with.
gold dipped newspaper eggs, crafts, easter decorations, seasonal holiday decor
The plastic eggs are already split in half - which makes this DIY project and the gold dipped technique so much easier to do.
Here's the step-by-step easy instructions to these pretty dipped dyed gold eggs:
1. Gather your materials: plastic Easter eggs, newspaper, decoupage glue, small paint brush, gold metallic spray paint & scissors.
2. Separate the eggs and set one half of each aside. Then you'll need to glue the newspaper on to one half of each of the eggs. I found it was best to tear off pieces of the newspaper into approximately 1/2 pieces. The smaller pieces made it easier to attach to the oval shape of the eggs. I also only used pieces of newspaper that were black & white {no color printing} to keep that classic newspaper look.
3. Be sure to use a generous amount of the decoupage glue. If you've never decoupaged anything before, it's a super easy and forgiving process. Spread a layer of glue under your piece you're attaching then also paint the glue on top of the paper too. So it works like a glue and a protective coat or sealer. Continue to layer the small pieces of newspaper until you cover the entire outer surface of the egg halves. I used the scissors only to cut a straight edge for any pieces the lined up along the bottom of the egg halves. Normally, I would just wrap the newspaper around to the inside of the eggs. But since we are putting these eggs back together at the end, I didn't want them to be too thick with newspaper that they didn't fit back together.
4. Meanwhile, arrange the opposite half of the eggs on a scrap piece of paper and spray a light coat of metallic gold on them. Add additional coats as needed. Let dry completely.
When the eggs are dry, put the halves back together and arrange them in a basket, a bowl or however you want to display your oh-so-trendy un-plastic eggs.
Lori Greco

• Peggi Tebben

Not loving the newspaper either.

• Teri

If newspaper isn't you thing, you could us the lace part of a paper doily.