Need More Kitchen Storage? Turn a Dresser Into an Island

This little island used to be a dresser. We picked it up at a thrift store for $45 and turned it into that island.
This project was not hard. We removed the top of the dresser and replaced that with our wood counter. We also added corbels for support and to extend the counter so that we could have a sitting area. We love it.
Do you see how we connected the corbels. The corbels are screwed to those wood pieces. The dresser was given a few coats of white paint and the top counter top was stained.
We definitely have the extra storage that we need now. If you come across a little dresser than happens to be the right height, get it! you will not regret it.
Vanessa's Modern Vintage Home

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 9 questions
  • Sarah Harris Prewett Sarah Harris Prewett on Oct 16, 2017
    Excellent! I recently did basically this same project. I painted a formerly pepto-bismal pink dresser a soft dove grey and put new drawer pulls on it. I put some trim board along the bottom edges and reinforced the bottom with heavier wood pieces. I still want to paint the top a jet black. I've day dreamed of getting a slab of cold marble or granite for the top as that would make a perfect place to roll out dough and pastry. Did you reinforce the corners before installing the caster rollers ? Did you use the industrial ones that let you lock it into stationery placement ? The corballs are brilliant ! Thank you for your project ideas.
  • Sandy Sandy on Sep 24, 2019

How tall does an island need to be? Counter height?

• Susan Susan on Oct 31, 2019

Brilliant idea!

Comments

2 of 60 comments
  • Elizabeth Elizabeth on Apr 27, 2021

How innovative! It's perfect for living in a small apartment. I think I will put the corbels on hinges and also the counter top extension so it could be my foldaway desk. Two in one. Real "Tiny House" stuff. Love it!

• Savers Save Savers Save on May 05, 2021

Wow! This makes so much sense. This is one of those moments where I slapped my forehead and said “why didn’t I think of that” 🤣 LOVE it!!

Next