Custom Look Cornice and Shower Curtain

$50

This little condo of ours was going on the market and I wanted a custom look cornice and shower curtain without spending the money for that.

My fabric - LOVE!

First I made the shower curtain. It was a straightforward sewing project. Since the fabric wasn't wide enough I pieced it together in three pieces so there wasn't a seam down the middle. Buttonholes at the top for the hooks and it was done.

Next time I'll use colored tape.

Then the cornice. I used 1/2" foam core board from a hobby shop and cut it to size. I never found the perfect tool. If anyone has suggestions, let me know! I tried a utility knife, an x-acto knife and a kitchen knife. The board wasn't wide enough so I pieced it together and taped with duct tape. I made a big X across the seam to reinforce.

Taping the sides on

Two, 2" pieces made the sides, which is how I attached the cornice to the walls. I duct taped the sides on

Then I stapled batting over the cornice. I wrapped the ends first and then the top and bottom, but I think you could do it either way.

Attaching the fabric was fun!

For the fabric I stapled the top and bottom, pulling taut and then the ends. The corners were a little messy from the back, but I couldn't see that being a problem.

Finished product!

I attached that brown braid with Fabri-Tak and then nailed the ends to the walls. Since it's made from foam it was really lightweight.

Before -- ugh

That was it! The condo sold quickly. I'm not saying it was because of the awesome shower curtain and cornice, but it certainly didn't hurt.

20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Biscuits & Burlap

• Janie Fagen
    Janie Fagen

How did you attach it?

• Janet
      Janet

The foam board is lightweight so she nailed it to the wall.

• Elizabeth R Krogsdale
    Elizabeth R Krogsdale

What’s behind the cornice? Did you fished the back?

• T
    T

What if you want to change the shower curtain you have to do it all over again?

• Donna
      Donna

Get a solid color shower curtain like one of the colors in your newly made cornice, if he cornice you make is solid color get a coordinating shower curtain

• Karen Taylor
    Karen Taylor

I had an upholstery business for 25 years and you can use an electric knife to cut the foam board, that is how I cut all my foam, works really good!

• Jeannie Ross
    Jeannie Ross

Very pretty!!