Custom Look Cornice and Shower Curtain

$50

This little condo of ours was going on the market and I wanted a custom look cornice and shower curtain without spending the money for that.

My fabric - LOVE!

First I made the shower curtain. It was a straightforward sewing project. Since the fabric wasn't wide enough I pieced it together in three pieces so there wasn't a seam down the middle. Buttonholes at the top for the hooks and it was done.

Next time I'll use colored tape.

Then the cornice. I used 1/2" foam core board from a hobby shop and cut it to size. I never found the perfect tool. If anyone has suggestions, let me know! I tried a utility knife, an x-acto knife and a kitchen knife. The board wasn't wide enough so I pieced it together and taped with duct tape. I made a big X across the seam to reinforce.

Taping the sides on

Two, 2" pieces made the sides, which is how I attached the cornice to the walls. I duct taped the sides on

Then I stapled batting over the cornice. I wrapped the ends first and then the top and bottom, but I think you could do it either way.

Attaching the fabric was fun!

For the fabric I stapled the top and bottom, pulling taut and then the ends. The corners were a little messy from the back, but I couldn't see that being a problem.

Finished product!

I attached that brown braid with Fabri-Tak and then nailed the ends to the walls. Since it's made from foam it was really lightweight.

Before -- ugh

That was it! The condo sold quickly. I'm not saying it was because of the awesome shower curtain and cornice, but it certainly didn't hurt.

Biscuits & Burlap

• Joanie Arnold

Have you tried just a valance? Quick and easy made from matching shower curtains of anti mold fabric; hang with tension rod. Allows for ventilation . Looks good on both sides? Sew any style you like.

• Brooklyn

How does the back look? Do you see the tape etc when you are in the shower?

• LeeAnn Maul

I wonder if the steam wud release the tape (maybe of used glue?) And if mold wud build up on the styrofoam(maybe a board cudv been used?) Love the overall idea tho! Ty

• Robin

Great tutorial!

I have cut a lot of foam board and I’ve found a serrated knife and a straight edge are the best way to do it.

• Judy

Beautiful! Try using an electric kitchen knife to cut your foam board. It has worked great for me.

• Irene

Not sure on Styrofoam but an electric carving knife works great on foam rubber.