Linda B
Linda B
  • Trumbull, CT

How to Make a Birdbath

I wanted to make a simple birdbath so I had the idea of using PVC piping. Then I bought a white plastic tray at Joann Fabrics and glued that to the top of the PVC pipe. Wala! Birdbath!!
how to make a birdbath, diy, gardening, how to, pets animals
Linda B

• Diane Polander

How did you get it to stand ? Did you put it over a post ?

• Debbie Prettyman

The tall glass vase holding up the clear glass bowl. The vase is fine. The glass bowl shattered when filled with water overnight. It was all covered with fairy lights and beautiful at night.

• Pat Erdmann

How do you attach the tray

• Judi

This is so pretty. Did I miss how you cleaned it & how often it needs to be cleaned?

• Lou Beard

Wow. I want to do this. Its so cute.

• Carey

If you have an old satellite dish, it makes a perfect birdbath or a butterfly watering station and it doesn't break if it freezes. You can get a small metal fence post that you can pound into the ground and place your PVC pipe over it and then it is easily removed for cleaning and replaced once clean. Decorate for winter then in the spring return to birdbath status! This sounds much nicer than the fancy one that I bought but have to take in each winter so it doesn't get broken! I am going to do this!

Another birdbath redo! I found a concrete birdbath some years ago for $2.50. IT was shaped like a flower with petals up and petals down. Some of them had chipped and I took the top off to repair it with some quickcrete. I had it almost finished when my husband began clearing junk out of the yard. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that one of the things that he tossed was my Bird bath pedestal! For a long time, I left it in my garden on top of a bucket and continued using it as a bird bath. Trouble was, I had a pond that the birds liked a lot better.

I was weeding in my garden one day and suddenly thought, I could turn that into a Succulent garden, by just adding soil. & the plants! It has turned out to be a perfect solution! See Picture below.

The robins would stand on the rocks at the edge of my pond, take their bath, drink and leave. A really funny incident that I witnessed one day, about 5 robins were busy taking turns taking their bath, while one sat on a fence post nearby and watched the entire procedure. After they all left, he flew down, stood on a rock but not in the water. He went through all the motions that he had seen the other robins go through but didn't get wet at all. When he was finished, he too left. I have always wandered if that robin eventually figured out the he had to get wet to really get clean! : )

• Kim
      8 hours ago

That is such a cute Robin story. Batman would’ve set him straight. Okay, not funny but, I just had to. I really love your idea about using old satellite dishes. I have a couple, (front & back yards), and I will definitely make good use of them using a combination of things I’ve learned from this conversation. Thank you so much for sharing 🙂