DIY Natural Toilet Cleaner + 6 Bathroom Toilet Cleaning Tips

$5

Make an all-natural toilet cleaner + 6 places you're NOT cleaning at your bathroom toilet! Time to step up spring cleaning!
When was the last time you cleaned the inside
So, do you know how often I open up the water tank of my toilet? Not often. But if you take a look at the depths....it's a breeding ground for hard water stains, mold, mildew and bacteria. Eww. So whenever I start my toilet cleaning endeavors, I start with the water tank to help keep my toilet bowl cleaner between uses. Pour 1 cup of vinegar into the tank. Allow to sit while you clean. Then flush 2-3 times to rinse out the tank. (You definitely do not want to leave vinegar in your tank for a long period of time. It will start eroding your metal components.)
This DIY Lemon Rosemary Toilet Cleaner WORKS!
Want to make your toilet sparkle and shine...naturally? This EASY DIY Lemon Rosemary Toilet Cleaner really works....I mean check out my before and after photo! Only 4 ingredients too, be sure to grab the link below to make your own natural toilet cleaner.
How to Disinfect Your Toilet Brush
You use your toilet brush all the time to get the bowl. Bravo. But when was the last time that you cleaned the brush? Ahem - yeah. Me too. So while you're bowl may look sparkly clean, you're also spreading those germs from the last clean...and the clean before that...and the clean before that from your friend, Mr. Toilet Brush. Gross! While there may be debate here, I do recommend on soaking the whole brush in vinegar first, overnight. For a deeper clean, I would go ahead and soak in bleach too. And if you haven't changed out your brush in awhile (like once or twice a year), it may be time for that too.
You've tackled the bowl, perhaps you even got the seat and under the seat. That's great. But imagine if you will the moment when you flush the toilet. There's particles of bacteria, water, and YUCK floating all over the bathroom. So making sure to clean the whole toilet, include every surface from bowl to base is super important.
And speaking of surfaces, do you know how many times your dirty hands touch the toilet paper holder? GROSS! Make sure to disinfect the entire toilet paper holder too...and maybe change out the roll while you're there.
Maybe it's because of my history as a pediatric nurse, but I'm pretty clean obsessed when it comes to any handles and knobs. And the toilet handle is one of the most touched areas of your bathroom. So even if I think that I got all of the bathroom toilet flusher handle area, I go ahead and clean that sucker again right before I leave. Because....yep, it's gross.
Hope you've taken to heart these 6 tips on really getting your bathroom toilet clean. For more tips including how to make this DIY Natural Toilet Cleaner, be sure to visit my blog Raising Whasians for more details!

Raising Whasians

• Ruth Scheidler

not a question, just something to consider adding. I agree about germs and getting things cleaned well. Years ago I heard a short feature on NPR about the germs that float in the air, They did a study using sterilized bathrooms, swabbing for bacteria after one use and flush, with the lid up. I believe they said a 4 foot radius (means a circle 8 feet wide) is the pattern of germs spreading in a bathroom IF the lid is not closed before flushing. I explained it to the rest of my family, and over the years guests and friends. When we have a large group of friends, I put up a small sign that says "PLEASE CLOSE THE LID BEFORE FLUSHING." I still clean the stool, of course, and I'll add your wise vinegar tip in the tank. ~ Ruth Scheidler, rascheidler@gmail.com

• Alex

To pile on... Mythbusters did a segment on such phenomena and my "take-away" was that I now want to clean everything in my bathroom , every time I have a chance.

• Amy Wodicka Grabowski SN

I had a microbiologist point out this fact and then reminded a whole class to hold their breath when using a toilet encased in a stall. You're trapped in there with ALL that "stuff" vaporized in the air. Im ready to boogie now before I flush!!

• Ros

In Europe the tank is now placed within the wall so it seems unlikely to me that I should be cleaning it.The other parts including the whole bathroom need lots of cleaning, oh yes

• Cheryl

Ros------ If you need to repair the chain or pump, do you have to tear the wall down, or are they not parts in your tank ?

• Judi

My tank is black inside from the water level down. I have tried everything I can think of to clean it but nothing works. Any suggestions?

• Sandra Allen

If a can of cola cleans the bowl, it might clean the inside? Worth the .50 try??

• Janice DeLong

I used to have black sulpher water and found that a little bleach took care of it.

• TwilaB

Usually, the black ring inside the tank is NOT mildew or mold, but the black flapper slowly disintegrating, esp if you use the 'clorox' tabs.

• Elaine Freimuth

I use Clorox Tabs! I am real happy with this!

• Marla Rice Mack

Muriatic acid will definitely make it look new again but it is very potent. Read the instructions and definitely wear gloves and a mask that you can buy at the local hardware store, Lowes, etc.

• Mimi

My plumber said that bleach - liquid or tablets - rots the rubber seal in your commode and causes leakage. I feel sure he means bleach that sits in the water for a long period like the tablets.

• Kathy Thierer Fischer

Yes, this happened to me and had to be repaired. I no longer put the bleach tablets in the tank.

• Edie Fitzgerald Saville

Tang! it's not just for astronauts. I think it works on the same principle as the vinegar. Pour some in to the tank, let it sit a bit, then flush. clean the bowl, then fish a few times to make sure it's all gone. You can also use it in the dishwasher to get rid of hard water stains on the appliance AND the dishes.

• Sandra

Orange koolaid does the same. My son used it whenhe was a plumber on a navy carrier

• I've also used effervescent denture cleaning tablets. Drop 2-3 into the bowl and use the brush when they stop fizzing.

• Georgia Tagmeyer

I love tips like this! georgia in k

• Kathy Haines Cramer

You can use a pumice stone for cleaning...

• For7486206

I have also used a pumice stone. I get them in the health and beauty aisle at the grocery store for less than $2. If it’s been a while it will take a bit of effort but you will love the results. I had black stains that wouldn’t respond to cleaner under the rim. Gone. If your stains are under the water line just shut of the water and flush.
    • Joanne Naillieux-Hart

They do sell Pumie Scouring Stick...made for this purpose, I buy them so I don't damage the porcelain on my toilet. They $1.82 in the cleaning supply aisle at Wal-mart.

• Mary

Get out as much water as possible and pour in meratic acid. Do not put the lid down. Be very careful. From a plumbers daughter!

• Connie Jinks Marshall

Try Hurri Clean (spelled correctly) in your tank. Check online but several local stores have it here. 2 packets and chlorine free. Pour it in the tank, leave it 6 hours or overnight, flush and it cleans the inside of the bowl on the way out. Not harmful for your tank, pipes nor septic tank. It works.

• Maureen Spuhler

Can I get Hurri Clean online?

• Carolyn

Will the vinegar harm beneficial bacteria in a septic system? You don't want to create an even bigger problem with expensive repairs.

• Heather Wierzbicki

In small amounts like used in cleaning vinegar is perfectly safe.

• Virginia R. Wallace

I always add, dry active yeast to my septic system........just use warm water and add sugar to it. Using too much bleach in your washing machine isn't good for it either. Just do the yeast thing a couple of times a year.

• Suzy Yang

Virginia: How much yeast do you add?

• Susan Metz Smith

My plumber told me to flush the contents of a box of baking soda down my toilet once a month to help keep the septic tank in good shape. I've been doing this for 9 years and we've never had a problem. My husband checks the tank regularly and if it looks like it's getting hard, we up the soda to twice a month for awhile.

• Lana Westfall

Susan, you might want to add, you flush the "contents" of a box of baking soda, not the "box of baking soda". I knew what you meant, but there are those people that would have taken it literally. I have never heard that, but it seems like a great idea.

• Gla5221439

She did say "contents"

• Patricia

We were advised to use brown sugar, yeast and warm water to create yeast in our septic system. Worked great for years.

• Vickie

Liquid "Rid" works great once a month -- cost is about $14 for a 3 month supply :)

• Laurie Ann Zednick

I'll Try that!! Thanks!!

• Georgia

Can I mix vinegar and bleach together to disinfect the toilet brush overnight?

• Mary

I wouldn't, but if you do just mix a very small amount to see how they react preferably outside or open windows.

• Ruby77

Never mix bleach with vinegar! It creates a toxic chlorine gas that can damage your lungs or even kill you. Be careful

• Barbara Henry

It should be ok. You should never mix bleach & amonia.

• Renee Kern

Never mix bleach and vinegar.

• Danielle

I mix a small amount of bleach with vinegar all the time and am still alive !

• Kathy Mishler Hollenbeck

I've been mixing vinegar and bleach together for years. It's bleach and ammonia that you should never mix together. I've used bleach and vinegar to clean my front loading washer and also use them, in separate compartments, to wash my white clothes. The bleach gets the whites really white and the vinegar is a natural fabric softener.

• Michelle Eliker

Any acid plus bleach creates toxic fumes. The fumes can cause damage to your lungs, eyes, and/or throat. The stronger the acid the greater the amount of toxic fumes which is why ammonia and bleach are more of a concern.

• Samantha

Absolutely never EVER mix vinegar with chlorine bleach. The fumes can kill you. Extremely toxic.

• Cheri Zimmerman Beaulieu

If you want to keep insect from entering through your shower/tub drains, mix 1/2 c vinegar and 1/2 c bleach and pour down your drains once a month.

• Nancy Juvrud

No!

• R&B

Mixing bleach and vinegar is a bad idea. Toxic chlorine gas is released, which essentially serves as a way to wage chemical warfare on you and your family. Many people mix bleach and vinegar, knowing it's dangerous, but either underestimating the risk or else hoping for increased cleaning power. Too often people don't know any better or underestimate the risk. They hear mixing the chemicals make them better cleaners and disinfectants, but don't realize it isn't going to make enough of a difference to justify the considerable health hazard. And that hazard is NOT something you want to create just to get a toilet or anything else clean. An emergency trip to the hospital for you or a loved one is not worth a clean toilet!

• R&B

For those of you saying "bleach and Ammonia is toxic but bleach and Vinegar is ok" are WRONG. Any acidic substance (ammonia, vinegar, lemon juice are ALL acidic) added to bleach will create Chlorine Gas. Just do NOT mix ANYTHING with bleach. It is a highly volatile substance and even on it's own the fumes are toxic. Use bleach sparingly and preferably in a room with an open window or circulating air.

• Lee

a long time ago I was told that mixing bleach and ammonia together makes the gas they use in the Gas Chamber.. I believe this is true.

• Eva

V

• Liz

Simple answer: when you have a question about the safety of mixing chemicals, google in your question, and read a professional site, NOT someone's opinion. Takes just a minute and may save the life of you or your pets.

• Tanya

I, too, advise against it, even though others are risking it. Best bet ... call your fire department and ask. They are set up to answer that question and it will only take a moment or two of their time. (At least those in Phoenix, AZ are. I once worked at a job where we occasionally needed to mix chemicals. We were required to take courses the fire department set up, specifically to educate the public about mixing any chemicals together. Bleach mixtures were among their biggest concern, because so many people were mixing these common household products with the bleach, and they talked about how many "get away" with it [long term lung damage can't really be known], but also how many are harmed by doing it. It simply isn't worth the risk, in my opinion, so put those tax monies into use and ask the professional.)

• Kathy Gydus

I just use straight bleach in my toilet bowls over night.

• Sandra

Do not mix bleach with any cleaning supplies! Period--the end!

• Gabrielle Falk

Using the two together (bleach and vinegar) you are double dosing. You only need one or the other.

• Gabrielle Falk

When you flush the toilet, always keep the lid down. That way you have some control over toilet germs floating around the bathroom. Also never leave toothbrushes (in a mug) on the vanity shelf. If you don't close the toilet lid, the toothbrushes are just a magnet for toilet germs. I don't use a sponge or wipe to clean the toilet. After all no matter how long you rinse and soak the toilet sponge, it will always have germs. I use toilet paper to clean the toilet, seat and lid. Then you just flush. No germs hanging around. I use a different coloured sponge for the floor, and a different one for the bathroom sink etc.. That way you won't accidentally use the floor sponge on the sink. I mix tea tree oil - not a lot - with some water and put in a spray bottle and use that for a toilet cleaner, and also deodoriser. Never tip 'neat' tea tree or eucalyptus oil down the toilet. The fumes will burn your bottom. (Been there done that-painful).

• Mec6545790

Believe what is written here... many years ago, info wasn't available.. I tried ammonia + bleach... messed up my lungs! DO NOT MIX THEM!

• Joanne DeYoung

It makes chlorine gas. It can kill you!

• She4740374

The "recipe" calls for baking soda. But, in the instructions it refers to "baking powder mixture". So...is it baking soda or baking powder? Thanks!

• Mary Johnson Howes

I would think it would be plain old baking soda,baking powder is soda with cream of tartar.

• Mary Johnson Howes

think it contains corn starch also.Stick with the baking soda.

• Leeanne

Baking soda..... If you mix vinegar with baking soda it also works like drano for clogs too. Excellent cleanser mixed for shower and toilet too.

• Connie MacRury

How long with the baking soda mixture last if in a cool, dark place?

• Kathy Gydus

I use baking soda and white vinegar in all my drains once a month. First I put the baking soda down the drain, followed by the vinegar. After it stops fizzing, I let it sit (in the drain) for a few minutes. Then I rinse with hot (boiling) water. I don't think you can mix it up ahead of time. Due to the "explosiveness" of the mixture I wouldn't think of putting it in any type of container.

• Kathy Gydus

Oops, I just saw an answer above about B.S. and peroxide...never tried that one. I thought you were asking about plain old BS and white vinegar.

• Rii

How does all this stuff affect a septic system

• Savonniere

Safe. Peroxide, oxygen bleach (i.e. Oxyclean) vinegar and baking soda do not offend your friends, the bacteria in the septic tank. Unlike hydrogen chloride (Clorox) bleach which will cause your friends to go on strike. You will then either have to go to great expense or do indescribably unpleasant work to restore the septic tank to a suitable atmosphere for your bacteria buddies.

• Connie MacRury

Sorry, I had a typo. My question was to be: How long *will* the baking soda mixture last if in a cool, dark place. So shelf life...that's what I'm asking.

• Deetris4u2cme

I

• Rita Thomas

You do not "mix" it. You do not store it. You pour (from the baking soda box) the BS down the drain, THEN pour in the vinegar. Store both items separately....not mixed.

• Virginia Barlow Browning

I see Barkeepers Friend us suggested for cleaning a tub but what if your tub is fiberglass?

• Carol

I use Magic Eraser - works great. Don't use abrasives! I hired cleaners last month to clean my bathrooms and they took the finish off of the tubs by using abrasives.

• Kathy Gydus

I have a fiberglass tub and surround. I use Barkeepers Friend on it, when needed. Seeing that I live alone, but shower every day, my shower/tub doesn't get the same use (or abuse, lol) as most. I've never had a problem, especially seeing I don't scrub it very hard. I got more scratches with a scrubby. I also use it on my stainless steel pots/pans and (very lightly) on the inside of glass vases.

• Diane Carlson

I would't use anything abrasive on fiberglass. Use a mild dish soap and vinegar if you want to clean without chemicals. i like Dow Scrubbing bubbles myself. Cleans, disinfects and deodorizes.

• Rii

Where do you find Barkerpers. I've checked all the stores cleaning aisles without luck. Thanks.

• Susan

I have been using Bon Ami for YEARS!!! It is save for fiberglass tubs/showers and does a wonderful job on glass shower doors. Also, take the time to dry your tub/shower walls and glass doors after each use. It will dramatically cut down on your cleaning frequency!!! Press the EASY button!!

• Tracy Weller Bowen

Walmart has it in the cleaning section. Try the bottom shelves.

• Karen

If you don't want scratches on your fiberglass tub, or any surface for that matter, use a degreaser, like 409. It will restore the new look (depending on how bad the surface is) and leave no scratches. Put some in a container and wet a sponge with it full strength. Let it sit for a while and rub it off. Rinse off and DRY. Take Susan's advice and always dry the whole shower Dow. When you are through with your shower or bath. Never have to "scrub" it again. I have lived in my house for 20 years and have never scribed my tub, and it still looks brand new.

• Pat whitmus

We always squeegee our shower stalls. I hand wipe the fixtures too and our shower looks great.

• Pat whitmus

Well..better add that in our past homes our showers looked great. This recent move has necessitated the need to replace the current shower and will be completed by summer's end. Then...once again, the shower will sparkle and shine!

• Denise Lannon

If you're afraid of scratches, use Dow Scrubbing bubbles. No abrasives at all and it cleans soap scum and water spots very good. I use it on the counters also. Clean fresh smell and it makes everything sparkle.

• Kmc7490074

Barkeeper's Friends is the best thing I've found for cleaning showers and tubs. I flip homes and have come across some of the most disgusting tubs!! The last home had a tub with what looked like years and years of car grease and soap scum. I'm pretty sure it had never been cleaned. I wet the tub, lathered a layer of the cream version of Barkeeper's Friend all over the whole thing. I let it sit longer than it said too and then scrubbed (not that much effort at all) and rinsed. There were only a few spots that I had to do twice. I also left it over night on a shower that had rust and calcium build up over the entire thing. Rinsed it, wiped it down without scrubbing, rinsed again and it was spotless. I can't say enough about how well it worked with minimal effort. Wish I had discovered it years ago!

, Before, After
    • Yvette Spicer

Carol in Rialto, Magic Eraser will scratch if you use it to really scrub. I was told to use it on my camper to get off the road grime, and I ended up with a dull spot ... I will never use Magic Eraser again.

• Glenda Smoot

If it is a shower, tub combo, I simply rinse with the removeable shower head. Each time I shower. Getting the soap scum off quickly keeps it from building up.

• Connie MacRury

Sorry, I had a typo. My question was to be: How long *will* the baking soda mixture last if in a cool, dark place. So shelf life...that's what I'm asking. I'm thinking it will last quite awhile but thought I'd check. Thanks!

• Anna

It won't last. Make it up as you need it. Once the baking soda and the vinegar combine, it fizzes like crazy and then it's done.

• Carolyn

I think Connie meant how long will the baking soda and essential oil mixture last

• Melaine Martin-Heesacker

Oils lose their potency after a month or so

• Carol

does this hurt a septic tank?

• Melaine Martin-Heesacker

Vinegar is septic safe

• Jennifer Cox

yes vinegar is safe....if you want to help your septic tank along any time you make pasta or boil potatoes keep the water and flush it....the starches feed the beneficial bacteria that break down waste

• Yvette Spicer

Jennifer, no need to flush it, all drains lead to the septic tank.

• Helen Gallagher

Also, if you pour a small package of yeast down the toilet or sink once a month, the yeast breaks down the non-liquid matter.

• Wendy

Butter milk works great for the septic tank.

• Rb58988680

Yvette, Some country homes have drains directed to yards. Toilet only to septic system. We are unsure about adding chemicals or "home remedys".

• Marlene Karlsen

Do you have OCD about touching the handle on the bathroom door as you leave? I have to use toweling to touch the handle. There is a no win answer.....if you had to use the handle to go in, most people would not wash their hands before getting their toilet paper. I chill at the thought of how cleanly men truly are!

• Michelle Lugar Carter

when I leave the public restroom, I take the town I dry my hands with and open the door then throw it away at the first trash can I see.

• Akl8109403

I'm with you Michelle. I do the same thing. Even at the Doctors offices it's questionable that guys wash their hands after a leak. So I use the paper towel I dry my hands with the same way.

• Jke2199465

What do you do if there are no paper towels and only blow dryers?

• Lisa Shirkey Turner

If there is no towel, I use my shirt to open the door. It is not just men that sometimes don't wash their hands, I have seen a lot of women who just come out of the toilet stall and just walk out the door. It is just so gross. I got so I did not eat at potlucks at work because I saw so many women that don't wash their hands.

• Deborah Clark

you also have to think about the hot and cold water handles after you wash... use the towel to shut them off or you just got the germs back on your hands!!

• Gail Lozier

All of the above, and more! Elevator buttons, anyone? Hand rails? Menus?

• Pam

Does anyone wash their hands BEFORE going to the bathroom? When shopping, airports, etc. I always wash my hands before and after using the facilities. Think of all the germs on your hands and then you wad up the toilet paper to use on your skin. In my opinion that is dirtier than not washing after going.

• Cheryl Jackson McEntire

Germs travel through moisture in a wet paper towel. If you use a towel to turn off faucets and open doors, make sure they are dry. Learned this in nursing school.

• Elaine

Bacteria LOVES moisture!

• Cristine Meixner

Lisa, I'm one of those women you will never see washing their hands in a public restroom. I touch nothing with my hands and after leaving the restroom use alcohol gel to clean them. Faucet handles are one of the dirtiest things around. However, I ALWAYS wash my hands before cooking and many times while cooking.

• Patricia Caldwell

No judgement, but I wonder how I made it to my age, 63, without all this. Guess I've been lucky..I do wash my hands after the bathroom, and multiple times when cooking. Have never used a paper towel to open a door.

• Helen Gallagher

I am 64 and agree with Patricia Caldwell. Also, some germs are not life threatening. I have a 52 year old sister who is obsessive about washing her hands with soap and water and/or hand sanitizer. She has been known to get sick or ill more often than average. Clean is good, but at what level?

• Sonia Morrow

Helen, well said girl. Totally agree with you.

• Linda Holland

I know it is safe first when using bathrooms, but I think some of these are just OCD!! They say sometimes we need a certain amount of good germs and we are so into "being Careful" we are putting our health in danger!!

• Charlene

I won't touch anything in a public bathroom except what I have to. Then I wash my hands, turn off the handle back of my hand. Dry with paper towel, get a clean paper towen and open the door. If there are no paper towels I use the back of my shirt to open the door. Love the doors that open out, then I push the door open with the back of my hips. Salt and pepper shakers in a resturant are filthy as is the menu. I use sanitizing liquid following anything I handle on the table that someone else has touched. Even the tables are no sanitary. I have seen bus boys or other workers clean the table then with the same cloth wipe the chair seat off and give the table another swipe with that dirty towel that just touched the seat of the chair where someone's butt has been. I've been teased about my sanitary habits but that's too bad and for those who I go out to dinner with, just doen't touch my glass or silverware. So many people think they are ok because they doen't see dirt, but the germs are invisible. I am as particular at home also. I feel you can't be too clean nor too safe from invisible germs. Also, don't share a bag of snacks with anyone if they want to put their hand in it, pour out on a clean paper towel or napkin, because not only will you be eating from their germy hands, you will be sharing germs from their mouth.

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

Yes, I wash my hands before and after using the restroom! I carry one of those harness clips that I keep clipped on my purse with the hand sanitizer lol. You know, it's a big clip with a spring mechanism that allows you to push it in and it springs back? Hope that make sense.. But anyways I use that to open the door if there's no towels or I use toilet paper.., anything to avoid touching any handles, doors, sinks, toilet flusher... Lightswitch... Ughh gross... Then I carry a mini spray bottle of 90% alcohol that spray anything I must touch. I have An autoimmune illness and don't have an immune system so it could be life or death for me. But yeah, I watch too much tv for my own good... Ughhhh

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

Lol@ Charlene, I will not share a bag of chips with anyone either, I make everyone get what they want and pour it in a bowl... Seriously the thought of a"community chip bag" makes me sick... Gross all those hands fingering the food.

• Retta Susanne Bluhm Jones

I feel paranoia striking, I wash my hands after using toilet, never use the towel to shut off water or open door, also do not sanitize basket handle at stores, and I NEVER get sick, too much shielding makes you more susceptible.

• Patti

No answer but I had a very bad bacterial infection. They are not fun. The test I had done the results went to the health board. They contacted me to find out if it was taken care of. You can pass on a bacterial infection to anyone. You can even get them from your pets. And I am freakie about cleanliness. Not to the point where I'm OCD. But I use Clorox or Lysol wipes on my hands sometimes I keep them in a ziplock bag in my purse. They help with handles and opening doors. And cleaning grocery carts. Things in restaurants ok maybe I am a little OCD.
  • Linda

I put a denture cleaning tablet in my tank once a week. All in clean, no more scrubbing,

• Kimm Corser

Great idea thank you for this tip. You drop how many into tank and how often?

• Linda

2 tablets once a week

• Hunter Hampton

The back tank is the only tank so must be the back one.

• Nancy Feltis

Does this hurt a styrofoam lined tankK

• Cheryl

I want to know too

• Jane Toomajanian

I tried the denture cleaning tablet, but it didn't even begin to work. Obviously I did something wrong because I've seen this all over the Internet. I ended up using the entire package and let it sit for hours. Still nothing. Guess I wasted my money.

• Deborah Palmateer

Thats what you call throwing your money down the toilet ;)

• Joyce

This also is good for cleaning jewelry, really shines.

• Joyce

• Jen12905124

So dropping a poli dent tab in you rank cleans it ????really

• Jen12905124

Oops tank and a polident, tablet or 2

• Ble9370979

Is this vinegar yellow or white

• Mary Ann Versendaal-Holmes

Is this safe if you have a septic system? Will the vinegar hurt pipes?

• Margaret O'Toole

Have you any more tips for house cleaning

• Roy15017204

To clean my toilet bowl. What i really do is i will pour the vinegar then i springkle some baking soda leave for an hour. Walahhhh its sparkle and shine

• Roy15017204

• Steve Cassidy

Don't forget to loosen the plastic piece on the back of the whole seat & clean especially if you have boys. Miss aim will run under it

• Michele

Pet Peeve: the word is Voila, not Walah. I understand why so many people think it is walah, but it is not.

• Susan Lord

Always close the toilet lid before flushing to keep all those yucky particles inside the toilet and not all over your bathroom.
  • Chandra

I have hard water stain in my toilets because we get underground water.Do u have any idea how to get it white? Thank u!

• Gre6903621

Iron out

• Patricia Schipf

In Florida house cleaners use a pumice stone earring gloves of course!

• Vanna

Yes, I use a pumice stone as well, the only thing I've found to clean a hard water line!

• Cindy Snider

Try The Works. It's a liquid toilet bowl cleaner that really works! Trust me, I have hard well water and this gets out all the stains. I also use The Works tablets for the tank. I highly recommend you try this!

• Chandra

Thank u very much for all the informations. I really appreciate it 👍

• Bunny

Cindy Snider...did u mean The Worx? Or The Works?

• Brenda Stover Childers

The Works..its like magic...you can get at the Dollar General, they have a generic version, spend the extra .50. It's well worth it and it WORKS!!! It's only $1.50

• Connie

Ring-o works better than anything for taking toilet bowl stains out.

• Tiffany

You can also get the works at Walmart, but be careful! It "works" great (pun intended). However, it is highly corrosive. Do not get this on your skin! Wear some strong gloves when handling.

• Ruth Brewer Williams

Dawn, vinegar. I keep it in a spray bottle in my bathroom and use it for everything including the vanity the Mirror, the shower etc.

• Tam11937226

yes, theworks is about the best i've found. but always consider what your toilet is made of ,each toilet is different-experiment.

• Joi

I think the works is a good product at a good price. I like all of their products.

• Jamie

White vinegar

• Maureen Carney

Lime-Away.

• Annie Wiens Oper

When I had iron in my well water, I used the Works toilet cleaner on my rusty bathtub as well. It is fabulous!

• Tampakat59

Mean Green. I get it at either Dollar General or Family Dollar. Just spray on and the line in the bowl disappears like magic and without scrubbing after a few minutes.

• Joa22028464

If using a pumice stone be sure to keep the stone and the surface you're cleaning wet. If dry, the stone will scratch the toilet.

• Karenbunyard

How do I get the urine spray stain off a plastic toilet lid!

• B. Smith

Make your hubby clean it! He's the one that put it there.

• Jackie

Clean it everyday

• Jackie

Change the lid

• Nerissa Trenear-Harvey

kitchen cream counter cleaner, wipe it on and leave for half hour, rub and remove. If stains persist, leave on overnight
    • Susan

Blech! Buy a new toilet seat. Cheap at Walmart. But let me say this, the better the toilet seat, the easier to clean and the more impervious to stains. I replace all of ours every couple years
    • Nutzatwerk

Replace it with a "non-plastic" lid. You'll be glad you did! Much easier to clean...
    • Beverly Hearn

Awesome cleans just about anything, and it very inexpensive. If you can't find it in your supermarket, try dollar general, they usually carry it
    • Aviary Uncaged

I have 2 boys and 2 girls and can't be more grateful that I have my own toilet. But as I'm still the only one who cleans here at least once a month I resort to taking the toilet seat off. I take the lids and screws outside pop in a big bucket and hose off all the grime I can. Take out of the bucket spray with vinegar and pop it to dry in the sun. The UV rays of the sun combined with the vinegar sanitises and whitens up any yellow stains left. Lemon juice works the same so a great way to reuse any used lemon cut in half or even cut into wedges. For the tank I get it as empty of water I can and use gumption on long handled scrubbing brush. Works perfectly is environmentaly friendly and contains no bleach. I also clean the bowl and rest of the toilet with gumption as bleach is not something I will use in the home. A few drops of eucalyptus oil and lemon oil in the tank added when I'm done cleaning. I also give toilet brush a good rinse off after each use. Spray with my home made antibacterial spray but use whatever you prefer. As moisture helps breed germs I dry it before putting it back in it's lil caddy by either sitting in sun or popping across toilet and holding in place between the rim and first seat so brush part is exposed to air the most.

• Judy Thurston

Does that DIY Natural Toilet Cleaner clean a toilet that has hard water(we have a well) and we get or have hard water stains and mold(even though we clean it) Please Respond back ASAP! Thank-you!

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

you need something high in citric acid. my cousin had this issue with the hard water, she heard you use Tang. she put it in her dishwasher and it removed most of her problems. she ended up getting a water softening system and replaced all of her appliances. I have heard that the little packets of koolaid lemon aid (no sugar) works too. I am going to try that on my toilet. I'm going to drain it then paint it on with a paint brush and let it sit an hour and see what happens

• Pmono7690

I have hard water and just started using vinegar and baking soda. Fizzy up and cleans all the hard water stains away. I still use Lysol rust toilet bowl cleaner up around the rim. This has taken all the hard water stains out of the bowl with very little work.
    • Andreacaa

Koolaid lemonade packets are cheap and work great in my washer and dishwasher. Just empty a packet or two inside and run in through a cycle empty. Never thought of trying it in the toilet.
    • KG

Amazon sells Citric Acid
    • Robin Haskins

Zep makes hard water stain remover. Works very well. I get it from Amazon. Follow instructions. Citric acid.
  • Chakka1

does the vinegar eat away at the plastic and rubber guts of the toilet?
  • Andy Tsang

How can u stop the noise from the toilet bowl?
    • Robyn

Lean all parts under the flapper. Wipe the pipe the flap fits on. Make sure the chain that pulls the flap up isn't hooked under the float. You can shorted or lengthen the chain. If it continues you prpbably need a new flap. Take the old one with you so you get the right one
  • Des25895187

Is vinegar safe for septic systems
    • Nor26480085

Yes
    • Deborah S Cripple

Yes, just don't leave it soaking forver ...flush a few times after!
    • Danielle Whatsittoyou

Yes vinegar won't hurt your septic system at all.
    • Sally Rollin

I use vinegar and baking soda in my toilet, my drains, my dishwasher, my washer, once a week, and I have a septic system, and I asked my septic cleaner man and said it was fine to use, better than store cleaners. Better than bleach.
  • Lau27884274

How do you fix an old man from missing the bowl and fixing the almost unexisting grout on floor from his mishaps?
    • Kee26305932

Explain that with age the spray changes and doesn't all end up in the toilet, so suggest that he sit down to go.
    • Ser8187966

or put Cheerios in the bowl

• Rummell73

I have a targot picture in my toilet bowl, it says,"hit me" 😂😂👍❌
    • Becky

Tell him to clean the bathroom next time you are cleaning. He'll see how gross it looks and will try to do better. At least it should open his eyes . If for no other reason - to respect you, his wife.
    • Rose Kennedy

Give him magnifying glasses
    • Deb

SIT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • George Burke

Have him use a plastic urinal like in the hospital, inexpensive and easy to keep clean... you can find them at most major drug stores
    • Zythman

The first answer above was the best answer. That men should always sit down and pee when using a toilet in anyone's home, the only exception being when they are standing at a urinal. Anything else is unsanitary as well as thoughtless. Sitting down to pee does not make any man less manly.
    • MIKE

I use a plastic urinal, especially when getting up in the middle of the night and not wanting to turn on a light.
    • James Johnson

I am 71 years old, have cleaned the bathroom AND toilet for years, yes the floor as well. I have also been sitting to urinate as well. 21 years in the US Navy, ever tried to pee standing up when your ship is in rough seas or performing high speed maneuvers?
    • Corliss wickline

Navy men are real men and they sit down. I married a Navy man and he never makes a mess in the bathroom and never puts the seat up. Love my real Navy man.
  • Maria Wilhelm

How to clean the shower head
    • Marci Rommal

Put white distilled vinegar into a sandwich bag (enough to completely cover the showerhead), wrap the bag around the showerhead, secure with a rubberband, and leave to soak overnight. Use an old toothbrush to swipe of the debris from the showerhead, wipe off with a soft cloth, run some hot water through the showerhead. Should be good as new.
    • Lpr27874085

Thank you
    • Bro30225009

Do the same as suggested with vinegar but use CLR this really cleans it.
  • EvelynMae Nikolaus

But what does vinegqr do to the metql pqrts of the toilet
  • Marilyn Paro

Would it be safe for a septic system to use the vinegar?
  • Alineroshto

what 4 ingredients are in tolet bowl cleaner

• ML CANNON

What is recipe for lemon rosemary toilet cleaner?
    • Janice D. Parker-Caiola

2. Make this Natural Toilet Cleaner
      I highly dislike the smell of toilet cleaners. In fact, there are some to this day that still make me so nauseated, I have to leave the room. So going the more natural route for a toilet bowl cleaner is so much better for my sensitive nose. Only a few ingredients will produce a powerful, natural and more pleasant smelling cleaner that disinfects too. Trust me when I say that you will definitely want that many drops of essential oil…because toilets are gross. Ready to make your own Natural Toilet Cleaner?
              In a glass bowl, mix together your baking soda and essential oils. Store in a tightly sealed mason jar until ready for use. When ready for cleaning, pour 2 tbsp of baking powder mixture into your toilet bowl. Give the bowl a good initial scrub with your toilet brush. Then add 1 cup of white vinegar. This will not only give you disinfecting power of the vinegar, but react with the baking soda for a great foaming action in your bowl. BONUS, right? Then go ahead and give that toilet bowl another deep down clean with the brush. Flush.
    • Virginia-Ted Rye

This sounds like a great way to clean the toilet.

• Pam

Aaah...tried this. Didn’t work.
    • Clarkston RN

I'm anxious to try it. I've used vinegar soaks in the bowl in the past but not too successfully . However, now that I've totally cleaned the tank I'm hoping for better results. Also, I have very hard WELL WATER not city water. I see you didn't address that possibility at all. So, to the blog owner would you change up the recipe any for hard well water applications? Just have to deal with reality of my household makeup. I do have water conditioning system, but the rust is still not well controlled at all times even with adjustments to my conditioning system or when company increases the water use "big time." Hope to get answers and comments from anyone with experience.
  • Virginia-Ted Rye

I will try this. Where is the best place to purchase essential oils?

• Dcamcar

YoungLiving.com
    • Brenda

www.doterra.com/wynnepoints
    • Jade Bloom is the best place. And they often have a deal where if you purchase 5-10 dollata they give you a free bottle of something! High quality EO and comparable to Young Living. oh. Free shipping too!! jadebloom.com
    • Cindy Daniel Hall

Edens Garden! Free shipping on all orders, great Quaility, and blends, including cleaning blend!
    • Clarkston RN

I'm not convinced the "specially made cleaning blends" are really different at all. Anyone have proof positive about this? How do prices differ from regular oil vs. cleaning blends? Specifically, ounce for ounce comparison price? Maybe only the bottle size being larger is only difference or solution created is weaker or stronger. I want to justify buying appropriate products for a good reason not just because a company labels something as a "cleaning blend" and increase the price like the vinegar companies have started doing in their marketing ploys to trick, confuse and overcharge the customer. In my opinion that's called "stealing".
    • Kim Garland

I highly a great company out of Colorado called Piping Rock. High quality oils and reasonable prices as well as bogo’s. My only source for oils and supplement.
  • DeliaV

What's an easy way to clean the outside of your toilet bowl and also behind?
    • Amanda Calloway

I use flat fold diapers and use bleach to clean all around the outside.
    • DeliaV

Haha. Will have to think of something other than a diaper. Long gone and way too expensive to purchase just for that. Thanks
    • Mar31656977

We use diapers all the time for cleaning, not that expensive and you can was them and add bleach too clean them. Love diapers can get them at wal marts
    • DeliaV

Oh!! Cloth diapers. I'm with you now. Thanks 😁
    • Wat22773838

Clorox wipes
    • Zoe Emiko

I agree. Cotton cloth diapers are the best for cleaning nearly everything - except dusting.. then it's old T shirts cut into cleaning cloth sizes.
    • Hea3094146

How about disinfectant wipes?

• Joy

I take a cloth diaper and fold in half. Then I stitch it around the outside about 1" in and in a big X in the middle. Double layer keeps me from knocking my knuckles and you can flip it as needed. Throw in the washer and dryer. My baby is 25 years old and I am still using the diapers.
    • Fleurette

I use a steamer. I spray a diluted bleach around the base of the toilet and all around the back. I let it sit for a few minutes then using the steamer with the nozzle, I steam around the entire toilet and wipe it with a cloth diaper. This removes any stains and smells completely.
    • Deborah

Vinegar and tea tree oil will sanitize & disinfect without chemicals.
    • Cheryl

Be careful using Tea tree oil if you have cats. Their systems cannot process it.
    • Jo

Get the sray bottle of proxide and spray all around the out side of the toilet. And under the lip of the bowl. Make sure you get around the bolts.