Woodshop Diaries
Woodshop Diaries
  • Mayfield, KY

Going to the Dogs--DIY Dog Crate Nightstands

My sister asked me to come over and help her with some storage ideas in her bedroom and closet. The first thing I noticed when I walked in the bedroom was that she didn't have any nightstands. I asked if she would like some nightstands and pointed out that it would provide some extra storage. She is very minimalist and doesn't like a lot of furniture, so I knew she would say no. The dogs sleep beside the bed and she didn't want nightstands in the way. I didn't push it, but a couple weeks later she texts me asking if I would make some nightstands. Totally knew that was coming. Sometimes I just have to plant the seed and wait :)

She wanted a dog crate nightstand like this one from Ana White. But just like with the fireplace I made her, she wanted it customized. She gave me the dimensions she wanted and I modified the plans and added the drawer. You can pretty much follow Ana's general plan for the crate (adjust measurements as needed for your particular size). Please see blog post below for more details. To add a drawer, just make the top piece on both sides a 1x6 piece, add wood drawer slides, and make a simple drawer to fit the space.
going to the dogs diy dog crate nightstands, diy, painted furniture, pets, pets animals, woodworking projects
I also used a solid piece of plywood for the bottom and the back. Ana's version had "bars" in the back to match the sides.

Be sure to attach the top before the drawer slides. I used pocket holes and screws to attach the top. Then I attached the drawer slides using pocket holes and screws as well.
I made a simple drawer to fit in this space and I made the sides and back just deep enough to where they wouldn't rub on the top when you slid it in and out. I stapled 1/4" plywood on the bottom, so don't forget to add this in the drawer height as well. I used a 1x6 piece for the front. Below are the two "drawers" before attaching the front 1x6 piece and the 1/4" plywood bottom.
I also made a door to fit the opening once the drawer was installed. I painted the bottoms white and stained the top. I didn't paint any of the inside because I didn't want the dogs chewing on anything and eating any paint.
Add a simple knob, two hinges, and a latch to the front and it's done!
And now, I present Sissy's two dogs, Rufus and Wally!
I think Rufus is a little more excited about the new crates than Wally. But my sister and her husband seem to like them, too. Which is more my concern than if the dogs like them haha.

Although this doesn't provide my sister A TON of storage, it does give her two more drawers she didn't have before, another surface to set things on, and a cuter place to house the dog beds. It's a win!

Looks like my storage ideas are "going to the dogs" these days. Get it? I guess I should give my sister credit for the idea. She has these ideas and I just interpret them and bring them to reality. We make a good team I guess :)
Here's to many more project collaborations with my sister! Maybe for the next one, I can talk her into painting haha!
Until the next project, happy DIYing!
For more information about the project, please click the blog post below.

Woodshop Diaries

• Ranger

I think the idea is a great one, except for the front piece. I just can't imagine locking a dog in its night 'sanctuary'?? Did they sleep beside the bed with freedom before?

• Nonae Mariah Temujinn

I was thinking the same thing as my dog sleeps on my bdroom floor, also. But, there is no reason to close the door on the dogs; it DOES give them a bed and designated place that's their own. Also, if you must crate your dog, voila---you have one already build.

• Pat whitmus

Our shelties always slept in a locked bed at night. They would go in there to get away from obnoxious children and at night they enjoyed being near us while staying off the bed and carpet. They were happy and well adjusted and very very loved. :)

• Beth

Dogs are safer in a crate. How many dogs have ended up at the shelter because they ate the sofa cushion one day or the corner of the table when they are alone. They feel safe in their DEN and choose to go in on their own . Puppies will chew electrical cords and die from the shock. They are easier to house train from a crate.

• Ranger

Fair enough. Our own dogs sleep on the living room floor at night. Being older, the need to chew anything was trained out of them at a very early age. But each to their own. They do look very cute. :)

• LyonStill

Agree that they do prefer their own den; an escape but locking a dog in at night isn't smart. Heaven forbid a fire broke out or they needed to sniff an intruder.

• Jen R.

Actually, if a fire broke out, I'd feel better knowing exactly where my dogs were rather than trying to coax them out from under the bed b/c the smoke detector scared them. ;) My dogs are Basenjis and they are pack dogs so they get upset when we are away. They prefer their crates b/c it's their safe zone. Put a nylabone in there and they're good to go. :)

• Nancy

Who even said they get 'locked in' or the door is closed, while they are IN it? I didn't read that, only in the comments. Didn't see a picture of them IN it, with the doors closed. Only saw the doors closed when they weren't in it so you weren't looking at dog beds when they werent in use. Great idea!! And PLENTY of dogs LOVE crates (which the doors are closed while they are IN it, and, in some situations, crating is highly recommended)

• Woodshop Diaries

For all of those "concerned": the dogs sleep in it during the night with the doors OPEN. They willingly and HAPPILY go in on their own. During the day, when my sister and her husband go to work, the doors are closed. But, even on days when they take off work and are home, the dogs CHOOSE to spend most of the day in their crate with the doors OPEN. Thanks for all of your "concern."

• Christine Schoenfeld

I love the look of this! However, no dogs should be locked/closed off from freedom, behind even a nice nightstand door like this one.

And if you keep it open at night, so the dogs can willingly lay inside, like a comfy dog bed, then it’s brilliant. And then close it (without the dogs trapped inside) during the day for a clean look.

• Debbie Nottingham

I actually went back to reread this (you are so right). I knew there is nothing on about locking in at night. Personally I do lock them in at night without worry or problems. They love their crates at night. And especially as a refuge when they are frightened. I too prefer knowing where my pets are in a fire/etc. instead of hunting them down risking my and their lives.

• Hunter Green

Great idea, especially if you have a pooch who poops in the bedroom. Keeps one from stepping in poo in the dark.
  • Eva Estep Smith

Love what you did it's beautiful and your pet is close by.