Rusted Vintage Trunk Makeover

102K Views
I was given this vintage, rusted metal trunk (for free) from one of my co-workers late last summer. He had it sitting around and, knowing him, the challenge this would have presented probably amused him. But I was up for it.
Or so I thought.
It was musty and smelly…
  • rusted vintage trunk makeover, cleaning tips, painted furniture
dirty...
and pretty rusty.
I had some citric acid leftover from my soap-and-sundry making days, so I used that and water to make a paste (no measurements). I scrubbed at the rust with the paste, some steel wool and a wire brush.
Then I tackled the inside. It was…a chore. I may have cried a few tears of frustration. There was a wallpaper type lining in it that wanted to come off in teeny-tiny little pieces, even with multiple vinegar baths. Then I tackled it with multiple course grit sandings…power sanding and hand sanding. It was stubborn…very, very stubborn.
After filling in the big dents with Bondo, I primed it with Rust-oleum Rusty Metal Primer and painted the trunk using Sweet Pickins Milk Paint in Suitcase.
For the trim I used Rust-oleum Hammered Finish in Brown.
The inside got stained because after how hard I worked to get that paper off, I wasn't going to cover it back up.
I'd like to think it now has a few more years left in it.

Suggested materials for this project:

Susan @SalvagedBySusan