7 Ways to DIY a Pool Noodle

Pool noodles make the best crafting material! Steph challenged me to come up with a post of ideas to using pool noodles. Challenge accepted!
In this post you’ll see a couple of ideas we’ve previously posted, an unoriginal idea (boot storage), but one that we’ve found especially useful since we are now putting our winter boots into storage (yes, we wear boots in Florida!), an idea for using pool noodles to make a floral arrangement, a fun pool noodle footstool, and a squeegee for Steph’s garage floor.
#1 Footstool
Steps:
- Gather 19 pool noodles into a “circle”
- I actually built out the pool noodles from the center, but looking at the final bundle it is clear you can glue one row of five together, two rows of four, and two rows of three.
- I used hot glue which does melt the noodles but does a good job keeping them together. Glue dots also work but doesn’t hold them firmly. As I was gluing the noodles together, I used the double sided velcro to hold everything in place like a clamp while the hot glued cooled.
- From the picture above follow the noodle pattern to place the rows together. The finally shape is more hexagon than circle.
- I trimmed my noodles to length after glueing but it was VERY difficult to get a good straight cut. Do yourself a favor and keep the noodles even from the get-go!
- Duct tape the entire bundle together.
#2 Floral Arranger
Steps:
- Cut the pool noodles to length. I used a mini food processor cup and serrated knife to easily and consistently cut the pool noodles to length. I cut four of each color.
- Arrange the noodles as shown in the picture. Use glue dots to glue noodles to each other and to the bottom of the tray.
- Arrange flowers. I started with a row of green that followed an “s” sort of curve down the entire length. I then filled-in with the smaller pink flowers until I was satisfied with the look.
- Green rug yarn was scattered along the edge and a couple of wood ladybug magnets were added.
#3 Pond Light
#4 Squeegee ​
#5 Boot Support
#6 Play Time Campfire
Steps:
- Cut the pool noodles to approximately 10 to 11”. Four is a good number to make.
- Cut the gift wrap to fit the noodle leaving some overhang on each end.
- Working outside (because of fumes) spray the noodle and the paper with spray glue (follow the instructions on the can for permanent bonding), wrap paper around the noodle, folding and glueing the overhand to the ends.
- Cover the paper with clear vinyl contact paper, optional
- Cover the ends with hot glue and quickly place each onto tan or brown felt, let cool and trim
- The fire is made with felt, plastic bowl, and hot glue
- Fuse two pieces of felt together with iron-on fusible webbing. Place the plastic bowl onto the red felt a little off center. With the hot glue, artistically glue into “flame” shapes. I didn’t have enough orange and yellow to add to the fire so I simply placed them into the center of the red.
- The “stones” are beanbags made with recycled winter/dark clothing.
​- The marshmallows are chopsticks and white felt.
#7 Pond Light: Holiday edition
Check out our website for more details!

Mother Daughter Projects

• Gail Mayhand

This would be extra great if you could leave a hole in the center to place stuff into.

• Lola

I have a little black table that a door could hit, so I have a black foam pipe cover I cut down one side & pushed it onto the leg. No damage to the door or table.

• Vickie Raymond

Lol. When I had a toddler grandchild living with me, I had a computer desk edge that his head frequently found. Desk was black, so did similar. Cut a length of pipe foam to fit, sliced it down the length and sipped it along edge. It worked perfectly, for as long as I needed it.