An Old Door Upcycle

I am in the middle of a huge kitchen remodel (This explains the utter chaos in the background of all the pictures). Unfortunately, the home improvement center lost my floor tiles. So we are kind of stuck until they are found. In the meantime, I decided to build a hall tree for the breakfast nook space.
I found a nice solid old door at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for just a couple of dollars.
The door just happened to be the exact width of two craft crates that I got on sale. I went to the hardware store and got one board to top off the crates and one for a shelf.
I replaced the glass with bead board... it was more practical. And then Lots and lots of paint... First I painted everything with black acrylic paint I had left over from another project. (Sorry, forgot to take pictures of this part). Then when that dried I coated everything with a white satin acrylic paint. This job was made easier by the help of a girlfriend and a glass of wine.
I put it all together with some brackets and hooks and decorative knobs I got 75% off at the craft store. I then distressed it lightly and glazed it with Valspar Antiquing Glaze. I really like it because I wanted it more black and white than brown and the glaze was the perfect color.
Here is the finished product. I will probably add baskets to the top and inside the crates once it is in place. I think it will go beautifully in the breakfast nook of my farmhouse inspired kitchen.

• Suzanne Garnett

What are the Coat hooks for in a breakfast nook?

• Megan

It is the room right inside our back door where the kids hang their coats and do their homework. Its also attached to the kitchen so in the summer, when there are no coats or homework, I hang my vintage aprons there!

• Queenbee

Or u could hang ur purse there. Pet leashes, the possibilities r endless. Both for function or decor

• Sca3491187

Dried Herbs....dried flowers.....on and on

• Cathy Nelson

Sounds like it is similar to a mudroom Suzanne.

• Tammy Sea

I have a back door in my breakfast room. Lots of people do.

• Valerie Monaghan

Wow -- love it ❣❣ where did you get the crates from ?? Ben looking all over for that size an I can't find them anywhere

• Donna

What a great idea! I have that very same door stored away. Now I have an idea of what to do with it. Where did you find the very pretty shelf brackets for the top shelf?

• Megan

Donna: I found them at Hobby Lobby. Every few weeks they have 50% off all metal, so they came to about $6 each. They had others that were a bit smaller for a smaller shelf that were only about $3 each.

• Donna

Thanks so much for the info! No Hobby Lobby where I live, unfortunately , but I'll look for them the next time I get to another town!

• Christy

Look online

• Lovesunique

Love what you did. Lots of storage! Will you have to anchor the door to the wall or can it be freestanding?

• Megan

Currently it is freestanding and it is fine. We are going to weight test it with winter coats and see if it does ok. Honestly, if it were just me and my husband, I wouldn't even worry, but I know the kids won't pay attention to how much they are putting on there. If a family's worth of winter coats makes it wobbly, we will anchor it.

• Michelle

I absolutely love it. What did you do with the hole for the door knob, I see a decorative plate that is lovely. Can you tell me more about that process?

• Megan

@Michelle I was racking my brain for what to do to cover the big hole, then I came across this decorative plate with a small clear decorative knob on it at Michaels (I have seen them at Hobby Lobby as well). You can't see the knob really well in my picture. They are meant to be decorative hooks but I lucked out that the back plate was big enough to cover the hole. I could even hang a small purse on it if I wanted to.

• Michelle

@Megan you have inspired me, just bought a new home and for the first time in 21 years I have no coat closet, this is the option I was looking for! Thanks for posting and answering so quickly.

• Christine Styron Feit

Beautiful. Question for you....did you paint everything before assembling?

• Megan

@Christine Styron Feit I did. I painted both coats and distressed everything then assembled it. Trying to paint all the little edges of the crates just seemed too daunting while it was all put together. I glazed it once it was assembled so I could see it as a whole and where I thought it needed "antiquing".

• Sandi Reynolds

Did you flip the door? The original had glass at the top,? didn't it??

• Neva Dew

"I replaced the glass with bead board... it was more practical ." And as the bead board is at the bottom it is obvious the door was flipped.

• Megan

I flipped it because with the big glass window I couldn't figure out a place to put all the hooks I needed. It was actually my husband who said "Just flip it upsideown," The remodel will have beadboard paneling around the room so it will flow nicely.

• Pamella Vacik Hennigan

It's a stunning piece and will be great in your remodel!

• Polly Zieper

I love it, and I need a hall tree since I don't have a coat closet. Any idea the total cost?

• Megan

@Polly Zieper The total cost was probably around $60... Which to a cheapskate like me is pretty high, but I wanted to go all out. The highest cost was the door (used) and the fancy hooks and brackets. I didn't have the patience to wait to find a door for free.

• Polly Zieper

Is the shelf strong enough to sit on to take shoes off? or more for storing shoes? And is the hall tree leaning against a wall, or did you hang it?

• Megan

@Polly Zieper The shelf is strong enough to sit on. It has angle brackets giving extra support that are hidden behind the crates. Right now it is just free standing because we are still remodeling. Once we have it in place we are going to test it with a family-sized load of winter coats. If it seems too wobbly, my husband is going to secure it to the wall. Right now, though, it seems to be fairly sturdy.

• Pamella Vacik Hennigan

Anchoring it to the wall Would be advisable . Should you have a guest with a young child and it tipped over on them, they could be hurt badly. Doors are heavy enough to do real damage. Better safe than sorry at all times.

• Jill Kinkade

How much weight will the "seat" hold? Thanks.

• Susan Chick Farrelly

I have 2 old doors in my basement and was thinking of doing a double cubby up cycle! What did you use to attach crates to door?

• Megan

First, I attached the seating/shelf at the measured height with strong L brackets that are hidden by the crates.Then, I predrilled holes (Because the crates are so thin) and then just screwed them to the door and also to the shelf above. It is very sturdy as is, but you can add wood glue before you screw for extra strength!

• Jjqq

What are the "angle brackets" you used for extra support? Do you have any further info on how you put it all together? Great project!
    • Megan

The angle brackets are steel L-shaped 90degree brackets. You can get small ones in the hardware section, or more heavy duty ones in the framing section of the Home Improvement Store. Assembly went something like this:

I measured the bottom crates. I then attached the bench top with the L-brackets to the door at the exact height of the crates, so the bench top would still sit on top of the crates. Then I slid the crates under the bench top and screwed them to the door, and secured them with screws to the bench top for extra strength. Then I mounted the top shelf with the shelf brackets I purchased.

I hope that helps!
  • Joanne Monfort

Quick question my bf will be helping his friend gut a house I know it's in Amish community and I'm hoping I can go I want to save much stuff as I can and this site is the best I hope I can save things like doors all this neat stuff but any thing else I should look that I could make a,quick list for plz any ideas
    • Joanne Monfort

sunbirdf33@yahoo.com ty any help

• Megan

Doors, windows, any cabinets or even cabinet doors. Moldings, and floor boards if they are tearing down that far. And drawers (from a kitchen or storage area).. Anything made of wood will be quality out of an Amish community or an old house. Have fun on your hunt!
  • Cindy Minor-Tucker

I'm in the middle of this project and have put one coat of white paint over the black and the black shows through. Do I put another coat of white or is the black supposed to show through. Thanks
    • Megan

Its personal Preference. I put two coats of white on, and then sanded where I wanted the black to come through as opposed to letting the black show through the white.
    • Cindy Minor-Tucker

Thanks Megan for your quick reply. Would love to send you a picture when I'm done. You did such a beautiful job !

• The26488425

Hey there love this! Great job, I have an old door that I use just for coats that I re done as well. I would like to add a bench and I was thinking crates also but I was wondering if it would actually hold the weight to sit down and put you're shoes on .. how did yours hold up?
    • Megan

It holds up well. We use it all the time. The young boy child even stands on it occasionally (even though we tell him not to!). I think it has more to do with the strength of the top board and it distributing the weight over the crates in a way that is even and doesn't stress them in one particular place and make them break or bow. (Or at least that is what my Super Hubby says... I just take his word for it!)
  • Alicia W

What was the craft store where you found the hardware?

• Megan

Hobby Lobby. They have an amazing selection of knobs, hooks, bracket, etc.

• Denise Roesch Beres

Is this top heavy? I have an old door and would like to try this idea, but I’m afraid it would tip over.

• Megan

I was concerned about this as well, and was prepared to anchor it to the wall. I was pleasantly surprised that the crates and the wood for the bottom bench were just enough to weight it down and not make it top heavy. I would imagine it would depend on the door you use though.

• Shandele Broyles

If you have little ones just get some little brackets and attach the top to the wall. You won't be able to see it.

• Amy Archibald

How did you get the distressed look?

• Megan

I first painted the door black. Then I painted white over it. I sanded where I wanted it to look worn so the black would come through. Lastly I went over it with Valspar Antiquing Glaze, but any type of glaze or antiquing wax would work!

• Eddie

What's the dementions of the crate's you used?

• Cindy John

I am definitely going to try this. Seems simple Thanks

• Joanie

I think I would be using this door as a DOOR for my back porch......It looks terrific.