Art Deco Dresser in Taupe, Walnut & Gold

I dug this art deco beauty out of a warehouse full of treasures last summer. I usually don't go for this style, but I liked the lines and could see the potential.
The entire piece had to be fully sanded down - and the detail had to be sanded out by hand!
I hoped that the veneer on the drawer fronts would be salvageable, but it was not. However, I got lucky with the top.
I used General Finishes to fully refinish the top - gel stain for color and satin topcoat.
Because the drawer veneer could not be saved, I had to fill all the grain. This was a several step process, but my product of choice for filling the grain is MH ready patch.
I primed.
I spray shellac based primer with a Critter sprayer. SO EASY! Forget about rolling and brushing primer - and do this.
Clean up is a breeze! Here's a quick video I made showing you how to clean your gun.
I'm going to skip the part where I painted this many, many, MANY times and just skip to what eventually worked! I used General Finishes Millstone + Snow White in a 50/50 mix and topcoated with Satin polyurethane. I painted the steel hardware with Rustoleum metallic gold.
I styled for eclectic taste: I call this Boho-Glam. :)
Satin-smooth sprayed finish.
Walnut top and DIY fiber art in the background.
thanks for reading! As always, stop by my blog for all the details on products, tools, and process.

Phoenix Restoration

• Barb in Texas

I adore the Art Deco style, and I'm always sorry to see a piece painted instead of restored, but I understand that sometimes a piece is just too far gone to salvage, esp if it's veneer. I think you did a beautiful job of keeping the 'spirit' of the piece while staining the top and painting the front. My question is the line "I had to fill all the grain. " Do you mean you treated it like a sort of bondo and covered the front?

• Phoenix Restoration

Yes. I used a combination of Bondo, MH Ready Patch and several coats of primer because my original plan (that didn't work out) was to go with an ultra high-gloss enamel and it usually looks best if the surface is totally smooth instead of having the grain peeking through.

• Maureen

Stunning. Beautiful work on the walnut top. Question... I have a similar top on a dresser. How much did you sand before gel staining? Did you have to get all the old finish off? I know gels work wonders.

, Restyled 25 dresser half done Painted sides with 5 qt of oops paint from Ace Hardware satin latex Color is chalkboard black with blue hue On paint a thin coat of wax as sealing finish Drawers top next step New hardware
    • Phoenix Restoration

@Maureen , hi! in my personal experience, I have always sanded all the finish off prior to using any stain, including gel stain. I have heard that it is not necessary to do that, but it works for me so that is my method. Another tip: I always use Minwax's pre-stain conditioner too because it helps with even absorption of the stain.

• Jennie Lee

What did you use on the hardware? You did a wonderful job! I especially like the fact that you saved the beautiful wood as much as possible, and respected the original concept of the piece. I love Art Deco. Maybe you don't, but one would never know it, because you did it justice. Thanks.

• Drd4223999

Gorgeous!

• Lisa House

Fabulous! I am so glad that you did not distress this piece, the choice to go glam was the perfect option! Thx for sharing.