Get Instant Shower Storage for Less Than $20

$18

Need more shower storage? I definitely did! There's nothing worse than trying to get clean while bottles and soap containers are falling on your toes. Instead of adding shelves or making a more permenant (read: expesnvie) change to my shower, I came up with a simple solution! I used a tension rod, shower baskets, and some curtain hooks to create more shower space. It's simple and space saving.
tension rod shower storage, bathroom ideas, storage ideas
SUPPLIES:
-Tension Rod
-Shower Baskets
-Shower Clips
-Metal Curtain Clips
STEP 1: Prepare your tension rod
Remove the rubber end of your tension rod and slide all of the shower clips and curtain hooks onto the rod.
STEP 2: Attach shower clips to baskets
Feed the shower clips through the holes of the shower baskets on each end allowing it to hang from the tension rod.
STEP 3: Add your rod to the shower
Hang your rod against the wall of your shower.
STEP 4: Hang your bottles
Clip bottles and wash rags with the curtain hooks and fill up your baskets with fitting items. (I used shallow baskets with the intent of keeping smaller items in it, however, there is a plethora of basket options at the dollar store that would be more suitable than larger items as well.)

• Srdc

I recognize the metal rings, baskets, plastic shower rings, but WHERE did you find the clips..??

• Texann

Do you think the clips will rust in the all the moisture? BTW I love this idea!!! I have a tension rod in an armoire for ribbon but I'm adding clips for other things. Sweet!

• Tom Mecham

No they will not rust. Shower curtain hanger clips....

• Judy

Since they are intended for drapery, they might rust.Spraying them thoroughly with Rustoleum clear enamel may prevent the rust. I have used them outdoors with no problems.

• Edie Zsuzsics

I use these clips for my shower curtain. Haven't rusted yet and its been several years.

• Judy

You could try using plastic laundry pegs also.

• Shelley Judd

All good ideas 😉

The $ store sells plastic or whatever clips. They can be sanitized , and used repeatedly...just not sure how environmentally friendly they are. Great idea, thanks...I love tension rods!

• J. Jacobs

Or you could use clear nail polish in lieu of the clear enamel.

• Matty watts

Im goin' do this . I'll drill the bottom of the baskets , water can drain out.

• Matty watts

• Mary Anne Browne

Great idea....but all of my shower products are in bottles that would not clip on . Guess they could all go in baskets.

• Lynn

Great idea for the shower and you/ we could also use this idea in other areas of the home as long as the shower rod is tightly put with no fail to fall.. Great idea!!! Thank you :)

• Maria T Ford

Great idea Amanda.

• Patty

Good down low with baskets for tub toys!

• Maxine Waller

Re-hanging stuff on those tiny clips while all I want is to do is DEstress in a nice hot shower .It's pretty though

• Lionnessone

I'm afraid the tension rod will slid down wall or fall from too much weight. Have you ever had that problem.

• It hasn't fallen on me at all... I would just make sure it is really tightly fit between the walls. I will let ya know if something happens :/

• Ann Blake

It shouldn't fall. I hang wet clothes on a tension rod in my laundry room between a wall and cabinet and it hasn't fallen yet.

• Shelley

I do the same as Ann. I hung a tension rod in the doorway of my laundry room and hang clothes on it as I take them out of dryer. You just need to make sure the rod is real snug. This is a great idea! I may try it in my shower so I can take the corner shelving out and have more space.

• Bar822173

I have an extra rod that hangs between the walls of a marble tub enclosure. Hang heavy wet clothes from it all the time. No problems. It's been up for 4 years.

• Sandra girten

I had one fall and break the built in ceramic soap dish. Unfortunately, I did not get it fixed quickly enough and my 16 year old cut her hip on the broken edge and required 32 stitches. A Pinterest fail for mom with eternal guilt!

• Anneliese Clear

I have a long plastic "s" style hanger (maybe originally for belts?) hanging inside my tension-rod shower curtain for swimming suits & towels. I can hang three sopping wet towels and three swimming suits on it, and the curtain rod hasn't fallen yet.

• Maria T Ford

I hung one in my daughter's closet and hung all her shirts on it. Just have to make sure it's tight.

• Bob Smith

They make end pieces that can be screwed into the wall and the tension rod slides into the end pieces

• Lynne Webb

Yes, Bob, they do. That's what I was thinking and would do but my shower is 100% tile; no Sheetrock exposed. I could get a concrete bit and go through the tile but...........I think I am afraid water might seep in an around a screw and then mold would result within the wall. But, yes, you are correct if a tension rod makes some uneasy.

• Toni Barber

Lynn if you cover screw with silicone caulking it will seal any openings and protect screw from rust.

• Barb Gimbel

From what I can tell, that rod won't fall from weight. It may slip down a touch but once the rubber ends hit the top of the tiles, it won't fall down any more. If you put the rod on the tiles to begin with, it may fall down from weight.

• Rick Sudol

Use a good silicone( GE one of the best). Squirt it into your drilled hole before you insert screw. Not only will it help to hold screw but will seal threads. Screw in your fixture and just dap a bit of silicone on top and sides of each screw. Clean up or trim after it dries.

• Gail

Years ago, I put an extra tension rod in the shower in the center of the tub, but much higher than the front shower rod. It has worked great for hanging hand washed delicates, and wet or damp rain gear. but,I never thought of also getting the clamps for body wash, etc. Thanks for the tip. Because it's higher, you don't bump your head when in the shower.

• Ann dowdy

How did a curtain rod break a ceramic soap dish?

• Linda Gillette

Could u post a closeup of the metal shower clips that hold the bottles? I have never seen one with clip on end. Great idea.

• Heather

They are a type of curtain ring

• Iro10503239

They are at Joann's in their upholstery fabric department.

• Ra.3677767

They sell them onAmazon. I put them on drawer handles in kitchen to hold towels.

• Dia7004113

Bath and Body Works had them as well. In the drapery department

• Becky

Walmart sells them in their curtain aisle

• Lucia

I think they are used more as drapery hooks than shower clips. Look in the drapery hardware section.

• I Saldana

Bed, Bath & Beyond has them in the drapery department!

• Jennifer

Clip a net bag to hold bath toys so they drain.

• Georgianna Lash

IKEA has them also

• Colleen Wells

Do you have to unclip the bottles or could you just open and squeeze?

• Karen Kovacs

Great idea, Colleen Wells. I guess it would depend on the bottle type, but I will certainly do this with the squeeze type. I wonder how I could refill them from other bottles.

• Robin Weiss

That is really up to you. You can do it either way

• Catherine Thompson

Use a funnel to fill, like when you marry ketcup

• B.s5063955

"marry ketchup"?

• Karen J

When you put two partially filled bottles of ketchup together to make one fuller bottle.

• Karen

I love this idea but can anyone tell me why my rod falls down occasionally? Am I putting it on wrong? I don't hang on it and am extra careful not to touch it for fear it will fall AGAIN. Any ideas?

• Cath windmueller

It might help if you extend the tension rod a couple more twists. That should do the trick. It will be just a bit harder to put up but that means it will be harder to pull down, too. :)

• the rod itself is adjustable, once on the wall, using both hands, rotate to make tighter

• Jill

Most of the rods have to be twisted one way to increase in length and the other way to decrease in length. Sounds like you might need to put it in place where you want it & then give it an extra twist to keep it firmly attached. If this doesn't work, you could probably put something underneath it to have it rest on, like nailing something to the wall for each side to brace it.

• Beki Bowen

Either the tension is not tight enough or the space is too wide for your rod.

• Mde4737146

Also if you are buying the new style tension rods they do not work as well. I finally threw my new fancy one away and went back to the old style.

• Jude Klemos

I had one that slipped down all th etime. I used some of that rubbery shelving liner, snipped a square inch and placed it between the end of the rod and the wall. Worked like a charm

• Janice Coomes

WOW, Jude, great suggestion. Thanks!!

• Sue Bimmel

You might have too much weight attached for the rod to hold.

• Norris720

for extra support if you have tile, place your rod just above the tile for added support.

• Les8339635

You might have too much weight on your tension rod. Also, make sure that the wall underneath the rubber tip is clean. Use a little rubbing alcohol to make sure the wall is clean and then place the tension rod back in place. If it still slides down, you probably need a new rubber tip which can be purchased at your local hardware store.

• Jane

I had the same problem when I had to replace a broken rod. I went to the closet section of Lowe's and bought a couple of those little plastic cup-shaped holders for closet rods. They support the rod far better than tension alone. You can either screw them into the wall or glue them.

• Kathy Bitzan

Jill has the right idea. Hardware store has them, used to support clothes rods in closets.. they are perfect for this.

• Make sure the shower wall is completely dry before putting up the rod. Any moisture under the rod will make it slip.

• Karen

Thank you all for your help and answers. I'm going to try yours Jude, first. Again, THANK YOU.

• Joanne Wilson

Shower rods come with type ends . I had the same trouble until I replaced the ends with the ones that are totally flat and are about 2 inches across where it touches the wall. Once it's tight it's not going anyplace. Hope that helps.

• Joanne Wilson

Sorry that's 2 type end.

• Nancy Walters

Make the rod about 1/4 inch longer than you that nk it needs. Then "walk" it up the wall, one side then the other, over and over, until it's at the night you need

• Spa9521244

You could probably use clear nail polish, or waterproof modpodge glue to seal the metal. I wondered about the rust issue too.

• Chi7445269

I think a varnish of some sort would be more cost / time effective, but, in the end, rust would still be a problem -- possibly to the point of discoloring the shower tiles/other...

• Cheryl Hart

If you are using "shower rod", it shouldn't rust, because they are meant to be waterproofed already.

• Debbie

Actually if you wad up some aluminum foil, wet it and rub on the rust part. It will remove it.

• Ter7510003

they actually come in a vinyl coated rod...white, cream..no rust..the metal clips is what I would coat with clear finger nail polish..that just might be the rust problem...but they are not that expensive.

• Diana Gibson

I'm thinking it the rings that would rust?

• LMN

Shower curtain rings won't rust. The clips are the only thing that might.

• Barbara Villegas

They do rust, and seem to attract mold & mildew. I've thrown out several 'shower' items because I refused to touch them.

• Wha7272249

How do you hang the bottles? Those tiny clips won't work.

• Debbie

Use bigger plastic bins that you can get at the dollar store. That's what I do.

• Richard Tibbetts

Take a plastic bottle of the same shape and slightly larger, cut the top off the larger bottle leaving a tab at the "back" of the cut off bottle, attach with the clip and insert the bottle.

• Kay

Whoa... Richard Tibbetts..that's brilliant! Can't wait to get home to do that now, lol ....

• Angel Rodriguez

Genius Richard Tibbetts! Genius!

• JoLeen Bolton

Or, punch a hole in the tab and use an 'S' hook to hang it on the rod. I like the idea of the larger bottle as a pocket for the smaller one.

• Suzanne

I would punch some holes in the bottom of the larger"holding " bottle to help prevent gunk buildup. Don't want to add more cleaning time!!

• Juanitabedford

Who came up with this ideal made my day. Just moved in our new home and our master shower soap dish too small. Thanks

• Jeri

If you're using a cut-down larger bottle, consider drilling a few holes in the bottom for water drainage.

• Joyce Bell

I use a plastic net thing that you get with oranges etc.😊

, My soap hanging up Can use it without it getting gooey
    • Susan

Or the yellow mesh bag that lemons come in. I used a shoe organizer in white washable mesh-like material. Cut the bottom two rows off so it wouldn't hang too far down & get wet. Labeled (embroidered) each section with product name, Shampoo, Conditioner, Soap, Shaving etc. The hooks that come with the shoe organizer are strong enough to hold the jumbo bottles. I added it at the end of the shower curtain so it cannot be seen until you get in the tub. I wear glasses but can't do so in the shower this has been extremely helpful.

• Nancy Timm Kaylor

if you are OCD and want all to look perfect, try this. purchase small loungerie bag at Dollar Tree, approx. 6x10 inches. will hang from clip or S hook easily. all will match and usually they are white and can be throwed in washer for cleaning. also great for holding several small loofahs and let guests know they can keep after using or you can also throw them in wash in bag to clean and give to another guest. Dollar Tree has package of 3 for a dollar.

• Jan

What a genius of an idea ! I'll be doing this for sure.

• Chr4787838

I am saving my liquid hand soap bottles to refill with shampoo, conditioner, body scrub,etc. Will relabel with appropriate tag and then refill with liquids,. This way I will small matching containers in the shower and larger bottles can be stored in the linen closet.

• Thi8725099

You could use a lonely, unmatched sock. Slip the bottle in and attach the sock to the clip. Sock will dry out just like a wash cloth. Also, if you put the bottle in upside down and snip a hole in the sock large enough to dispense product but not large enough for the bottle to fall out, you wouldn't have to unclip to dispense.

• Loretta Whitson

Try using regular shower rod in back of shower wall. The add a few large s hooks and two of thoes mesh shower pouches. Wa la. Easy organized. Not big tubes falling on you nice soapy foot

• Jah12102269

The weight of a 64 plus ounce bottle would pull the tension rod down.

• Schrstensn

Try putting in large vinyl coated cup hook just above the tile or at a stud just above tile. Hang mesh bag from that, goop falls in shower but cup hook is in solid and hold weight

• Vickey Johnson

You could use those smaller travel pump bottles and just refill as needed it is not like you use all of that bottle at one time and they are big enough to do a weeks worth of washing your hair. IJS

• Squ31640380

Voila

• Mary Hofstra

Have any ideas for the giant bottles we use that have the pump on them? My dad has been a barber for over 60 years (& still is because there's no "barber's pensions!) Anyway, he gets me hair products at cost at beauty supply stores and they are nice because you simply pump it! No opening the bottle, trying to squirt it out!🤗

• Karen Whelton

Perhaps one of those wall mounted dispensers which are large enough to hold the entire giant bottles in a streamlined way with just the push of a button.

• Mar9720218

I have a towel holder rod and just put the big pump bottles on there. They sit at a slight angle to the wall, but it works for me. I have an old claw foot tub and buy the shower curtain with big mesh pockets at walmart and these two things have seemed to solve my problems.

• Teresa Swisher

I wouldn't use the wall mounted dispensers. They clog up and are impossible to clean out.

• Teresa Swisher

• Mary Hofstra

No! You can't clean them, they just get nasty! I think she misunderstood my question. I buy salon size bottles that have a pump on them. Super easy to dispense while taking a shower. We do not refill them. I get them at cost because we have lots of people in our family that have a barbers or beauticians license.

• Susan

Hi, Mary. I think Karen was suggesting you pour the contents of the large bottles into one of those dispensers. If you can, I would install a shelf to put those large bottles on or maybe fill up smaller bottles and use one of those mesh holders you hang from the curtain rod inside the shower curtain. Might even look at shoe bags to hang inside shower curtain. I don't think you're going to be able to hang those bottles in anything. They are handy, but huge. At least a shelf would keep them from being all around the edge of the tub. I have also put them in a plastic basket in the tub. You probably don't stand at the far end of the tub anyway when you shower. At least they aren't lined up all around the tub.

• Renae Tuttle Petersen

We get the large pump bottles from Sam's Club and I like the idea of the mesh shoe holders. You can either cut off the bottom couple rows,or if you have kids, the lower pockets would be great for bath toys.

• B. Enne

If you can' t put them anywhere else, and the colour of the bottle is neutral enough for you: I buy big bottles of Australian shampoo. It has the clear plastic label on it, which I peel off. It now looks more like a decorative bottle, and doesn't seem as cluttered looking. This post tells how to remove ink from plastic: http://www.hometalk.com/3885947/how-to-remove-ink-from-plastic-containers-so-you-can-reuse-them" target="_blank">http://www.hometalk.com/3885947/how-to-remove...

• Melinda Artrip

How about reusing a mesh bag that produce comes in. Like oranges or onions. They would hild the pump bottle and dangle from the rod.

• Denise Scroggs

I use the tension rod, but leave a space from the wall and add some non slip grip shelf liner around it to sit all bottles on..

• Josie Leon

How about using 2 clips and disposable water bottle, I got mine from amazon.com (bottles come in 2 sizes and have a couple of different spouts

• Jill

Our solution was to use 2 tension rods - lower one closer to the wall, upper one out just enough to slide larger bottles inside upper on & resting on lower one. Distance between will depend on size of containers.

• Lgs1722430

I rotate my shampoos: I use moisturizing one day, volume shampoo the next, etc. To avoid having the large bottles, I have travel-size bottles which I refill from the pump bottles.

• Hmc13566000

How do you prevent the shower curtin from getting rust on it?

• Kathy Wells

It goes on the back wall . The rod should not rust. If it doe maybe it could be covered with a pool noodle.

• Kathy Wells

• Shawna Bailey

You can find rods that are meant to be used as a shower curtain rod that are rust resistant.

• Ler1507691

I used an older rod that I had lying around and it was a bit rusty. I knee if I painted it the paint would peel off from the sliding hooks so I covered it with plain white contact paper. You could find a pretty pattern as well. Its been up over a year and no issues!

• Elsa Dickson Pike

You can buy a plastic sheath to put over the rod. I have one on my regular shower curtain rod.

• Karen

Use car wax occasionally.

• Gigi

U could spray it with Rustoleum before using it also

• Kristin Westfall

you could also use wool pads (brillo w/out the soap) or magic eraser and scrub the rod and it will all come right off!

• Lynne

I use the plastic shower tension rods.

• Cindy

My shampoo bottles are not in tube form. They are a regular size bottle. What idea do you have for that.

• Karin Southall

Put your shampoo bottles in the baskets also hung on the rod. Replace small baskets with larger ones if needed.

• Sheila

I found a fabric shoe holder at a yard sale for $1, cut the bottom couple of rows off, hung it by the top(which had reinforced holes in it and hung it with shower curtain hooks on the tension rod that I put on the back wall of my shower. It holds all sizes of bottles/tubes and rinses and dries perfectly. I love it.

• Donna

Just sit the bottles on the top of the rod, leaning against the wall...

• Loretta Champagne

I like Sheila from Flagstaff's idea but one change to consider is placing small holes at the bottom of pockets to allow for better drainage and less chance of mold/mildew growing...?

• Eroque022810

How about just using the mesh storage that they sell in stores for this purpose? I love the tension rod over there we already have two tension rods in tub/shower one for curtain one for liner works way better than the curtain that you can buy with liner attached. Never thought of this though so I guess I need an other one.

• LoriB

I use a sink draining basket like this one on Amazon:

Just hook it over the rod. It holds a full-size shampoo bottle plus a ful-size body wash.

• Linda Mathews

Does the baskets lean are do they stay up right.

• Val659781

I have always just used a second super heavy duty shower curtain rod and placed all the shampoo and conditioner, body washes and such right on top, leaning against the wall. Simple S-hooks from ikea hold wash towels and even some of my son’s toys. The stronger the cutain rod, the more secure it will be, no need for baskets. Get a rust resistant one if possible. I’ve done this for over 20 years.

• Wrs8370649

Use the baskets..purchase size for shampoo.

• Ana Rivera

Was it easy?

• Dotty Potrafke

How do you attach the rod to the wall?

• Melissa Navarro

Where can I purchase the metal rod clips

• Regina

Wal-Mart carries some and Amazon has many to choose from, too. (Not sure if Dollar Tree has them)

• Afr10767780

I think Smeagels carries them.

• Wrs8370649

Click on 'See More' in blue shaded area for resources for project-see all materials, and will take you to web site for purchase.

• Linda Hall

I got some from an art supply place. I think it was Michaels

• Joe

Where do I find the plastic baskets?

• Yolanda Williams

Dollar Tree and Dollar General carry the small baskets

• Dwh12983900

You can normally find them at the Dollar Tree Stores. I've seen them in different sizes and colors there. Their usually kept where they sell items such as cooking utensils,can openers or you may also find them in the isle with where they keep the plastic ware items, such as bowls,plates, etc. I've even seen them at times in the isle where they keep the school supplies also, if unable to find, ask someone who works there where their at, they should be able to help you find them. I've also seen them at Walmart.

• Olivia Jones

dollar stores have 4 and 6 pks

• Mad12297707

Dollar Tree

• Lyo3646773

Dollar Tree has them.

• Mason Dirickson

Amazon

• Lois

Dollar Tree

• Aiokersonalicea1

How well do the metal clips hold?

• Jo

How well do the metal clips fare in the wet environment? Rust?

• AngelGlow

Short of finding rust-proof metal clips, you may wish to coat the regular ones with clear nail varnish...inexpensive and takes very little drying time.

• Jodi

I apply nail polish to my costume jewelry and it ends up peeling off about a week later. Would it do the same to this?

• Dee Holt

spray clear coat paint on them

• Anita Reese

Dose the items you are hanging get moldy?

• Nancy Jo Stoudt

I'll bet it's better than the water accumulating at the bottom of your shampoo that sits there on the shower shelf until you clean. Before I answered this I was thinking what a great idea this is for that reason alone!

• TC Cole

It's spelled "DOES"

• Swe9545469

Thank you TC Cole for correcting a misspelled word. God forbid you ever make a mistake in your spelling. Leave people alone will you. The world will be a happier place!

• Linda Miller

SWE Let's not be the grammar police today!

• Donna Jean Gradert

LOL good point...... actually it's DO but who's worrying about that! ha

I think it's a brilliant idea regardless of the grammar....... :-) Thanks for posting this

• RBE

Wow, that was uncalled for!!!

i hope that you aren’t always this nasty.

• Kay Jones

I have done this for years and never have had a problem with mold. Water drips off things and dries nicely.

• Shar

When you're cleaning the bathroom, take a damp cloth with a splash of alcohol OR a multi-purpose cleaner wipe to wipe-off each item. Shouldn't be too difficult but at least it will stop any water marks or whatever on your products.

• Shar

I think I'll try the 2nd tension rod behind the actual shower curtain and not next to the wall. Then we don't have to see the toiletries displayed when the curtain is open. Hmmm, I must try both ways. Thanks for the great idea. I also hung a plant hanger from the shower rod .. it's really cute and handy for quick recovery of towel(s) or wash cloths.

• I did this a couple of years ago and it did get moldy inside

• Pam

2x a month , take the time to wash or rub conainers off while in shower and problem solved

• Mar33287253

I have a deeper basket that I hung directly on my existing shower rod, in the back end. I transfer all my shampoo and conditioner to clear condiment bottles (normally for ketchup and mustard). They have an attached stopper. Keep the larger bottles under the sink. I have had no problems with mold......everytime I clean the walls of the shower I rinse the basket out really good after spraying it with a germicide spray. I have had this system for about 3 yrs now and am loving it.

• Fay30547154

not bad grammer, just a simple type O

• Sugarbaker

I LOVE this idea! I will definitely do this in our shower this week! It's also reminded me to make a little soap on a rope bag to allow my soap to dry out. I hate leaving shampoo in the corners for shampoo to drip and make a gooey mess on the tub.

I think a mold issue would occur if there are too many things hanging that don't get enough use. There are so many great containers that the Dollar Tree has that are also open on the bottom so water doesn't collect. The success is going to be in trying out different items. It might be a good idea to spray the clips with a clear coat so they don't rust, unless they are made for showers.

We also keep our shower curtain drawn back halfway to ventilate the shower and moisture more quickly.

Great idea Amanda! I'm going to share this with my daughter for her two children who LOVE to grab the bubble bath and shampoo and squirt a half of the bottle in the bath. Great idea for hanging bath toys out to dry too!

• Carol Jackson

Re the mold question, I make a shower cleaner of water and white vinegar 50/50 mix . This not only cleans the shower curtain but the vinegar kills mold on contact- or at least haven't had any mold problems in shower. So simply spray everything that is hanging and let it drip dry

• Ros22282265

Wet towels go in the wash once used they are then considered soiled and need to be washed but we use bottles of shower wash, shampoo and conditioner and how do you hang them?

• Mary Dodge

Maybe in net laundry bags? Put clips on 2 corners to stretch open? Just brainstorming, haven't tried it...

• Pdudley

I love this idea. A suggestion for the how to hang bottles that works for me. I bought a shower curtain at Bed Bath & Beyond that has mesh net pockets sewn on the inside to hold items. Combining these two ideas together would provide more than ample storage in shower/tub / tub area.

• Stelmour450

You probably can put them in the baskets that are hanging from the pole

• Jo

No, they woujd be too heavy to hang. They would fall right down.

• Andrew Smolen

Maybe put a couple over-the-door hangers on the rod. Then use that as a base for a larger, stronger basket?

• Russ

deeper baskets

• Kay Jones

Due to weight, I transfer the shampoo and so forth into smaller containers. I buy the larger containers when they are on sale.

• Monicap352

She had mentioned that you can get deeper baskets for bottles in the articke

• Kathy

Hi Roz,

I buy the larger bottles of soaps, shampoo & conditioners

& lotion, I put the soaps, etc. into smaller bottles, and refill as needed, this saves money & I also buy larger bottles of laundry soap & transfer it into a smaller/regular bottle, this saves big bucks as well.

Hope this helps

Kathy

• Chris Ann Hanousek

Thanks for the useful alcohol comment. I do keep spray bottles of alcohol and vinegar for cleaning. It would be easy to spray between cleanings.

Re: mold - I have a $14 spring tension vertical tub organizer from Aldi's in a brownish bronze. Looks like new after 4 years. The plastic and glass bottles I keep in the baskets don't get moldy. And I hang used damp towels (and damp clothes) over the front of my vented hamper until they are dry. Only dry cloth goes into my hampers, so no mold. I am asthmatic and need to avoid mold and scented products. This is what keeps my bathroom dry and free from mold:

1. Turn on fan and open the bathroom door a crack before showering.

2. Use handheld shower head for rinsing tile and my inside clear vinyl curtain. Clear has many advantages - you can see dirt, ... right away. Before I leaving shower I water spray tile, fixtures, clear curtain and shower mat. Turn mat over, rinse bottosuction suction feet of mat hold it vertically on tile wall. Rinse it, the me again. The only real work is to dry any water I get in the floor. I am clumsy.

No mold problems ever. I have a double shower curtain, vinyl hangs in tub, cloth hangs out. Leave curtain open about 2 foot in front and back for air circulation. Once this is a habit it really takes no extra time.

This is simple for a one person bathroom. Hot water, mechanical action from spraying, and air does the daily work. I sometimes spray with odor-free bath cleaner. I will try the alcohol next time.

Later, I close the attached double curtains for water droplets in creases to dry.

• Sugarbaker

Hi Roz....I have several net bags leftover from kids in college. I'm going to cut out a circle and use shoe laces. I'm going to weave the laces about an inch from the edge and make a mini draw string bag. I think tucking the extra edge inside as it's cinched up will avoid messy soap goo from building up along the edge. You could do the same for bottled products. Unscrew lightly and then cinch it up around the neck of the bottle and screw the cap back on. The white tray she has in the picture would be perfect for setting the bottle cap while you're using the bottle. Play around with it and see if it will work with your bath products!

• Tok28680859

Bath towels are only used to remove the water on your clean skin. They can be hung up to air dry and used for a week or longer.

• Pam supenia

sounds like a lot of wasted water

• Deborah Jones

I added storage options with a made for something holder and pieces of baby bottle/accessories cleaning baskets from the local thrift store for .99. You can also hang them in the other direction

• Kim

I agree. Hotels nowadays are doing that as well to conserve water

• Lbr27259893

Good idea! Great use for extra curtain rods. I have bottles, however. Have to come up with a way to include them. Any suggestions???/

• EILEEN HOBKIRK

I love this idea and I would re-use tubes to fill with shampoo or conditioner, just give them a good rinse and wash out before putting your shampoo or conditioner in. Most tubes you can screw the tops off.

• Russ

deeper baskets

• Rhonda

Possible use a shower caddy with double shower hooks. The caddy would lay somewhat flat against the wall. Great idea!

• New33340187

It looks like she used a clip of some sort to hang those soaps/shampoos.

• Molly Collins

Try adding a mesh shower caddy....Amazon has lots to choose from.I have a safety rail...I hung an Avon mesh shower caddy on the rail...holds bottles,not too big ones.

• Tammy Pulliam

Small (maybe even cut one to fit). over the door shoe holder hung on shower rod?

• Linda Sanders

Slide the rod an inch and a half away from the wall and you should be able to set shampoo/conditioner bottles on it letting the top of the bottle lean toward the wall.

• Jeannie Collins-Ardern

All good ideas, and here is another one: sew an open-at-the-top pouch that is higher at the back than the front, put your bottle in that, and then clip it to the tension rod. Do one for each bottle so you can keep them upright. Even if you are not a sewer, this is so easy it can be done by hand in just a few minutes, and you can use anything from decorator fabric ends, to lace, to mesh depending on your style.

And by the way, the clips used are from a fabric store and are sold to clip curtains to an exposed rod - cheap and easy to use and durable.

• Martha Jan Scott

I bought a shower hanger from Avon, it has Velcro straps to attach it to the shower rod and it has six good size pockets to hold items. It holds my bottle of shampoo and conditioner and a lot more.

• Becky Bell Walker

Sew pockets on to a shower curtain liner

Put button holes at the bottom of the pockets for drainage.

• Nancy Farnie

Transfer some of you product from the glass container into plastic travel-size bottles. Refill as needed.

• S.s33432302

Buy the hanging material shower hanger and put it onto the tension rod. Mine has 4 large and 2 small pockets. Holds the shampoo and cream rinse bottles, my bar of soap, my razor and my scrunchie pad.

• S.s33432302

The material bag I'm speaking of is mesh. It dries after each shower, and can be thrown in the washer as needed.

• JoAnne AndMark Gibbons

Maybe a skinny tension rod, like you would use under your kitchen sink to hang bottles on.

• Ehl33849487

Use deeper baskets so the bottles won't flip over.

• Vicki

Many more people are renting homes/units these days, as per my children.

What are some ideas that are useful without damaging the home.?

eg: Tension Rods as listed here on Hometalk ,,,for a curtain in a bathroom that the owners don't want to put up themselves.

eg: Temperareally changing a main bedroom door handle into a matching type door privacy set, change back when leaving.

ANY IDEAS Please ?

• Kim9331407

I have an extra shower rod across my shower & I use it to hang clothes to dry and another extra with a mesh bag with pockets the size of a large shampoo bottle. Imagine one of the shoe bags you can buy to hang on a closet door. Now imagine made of mesh so the water rolls

through it. Works like a dream. Thanks for reading!

• Bonita Trow Garcia

I place my tension rod 1-2 inches away from wall of shower and set all my bottles on it. They rest on wall and stay either upright or turned over if tight lids. Works great with all the bottles lined up ready for use. I put on over the door hocks on The shower curtain rod and hang dirty wash cloth, towel etc on it.

• Stephanie Branom

I bought a corner shower shelving unit at Walmart for my shampoo and conditioner bottles. It cost $22.28. I've had it for years, price is still the same. I'm getting ready to move and my 86 year old dad asked if he could have it. I'll just buy another. It was super easy to put together!

• Rhonda

My tenant used a type of contact paper that is removeable to change the color of her formica counters. Also protects them. Not entirely durable so might need to replace from time to time. But looks sharp.

• Fran Valente Lowell

What a sweet thing to do for your Dad! You're a good kid... no matter your age. ;)

• Vicki

I would like to put out a book of ideas for the owners of rental Units and Homes, Kindness towards those who have to rent with many for their whole life.

Using Scrubable Wall Paint (3 coats in traffic areas) ,

Picture hooks at eye level, at least 2 to a room.

Row of Hooks behind Bedroom/Bathroom Doors.

Flooring/Carpet etc. that doesn't show the marks easily, with cleaning tips written down, many people appreciate tips.

Deep Drawers inside the built in wardrobes, not just hanging space,

Curtains that give privacy and ones that keep the house cool in summer and warm in winter, A help with electricity costs.

Shelving in the Bathroom/Laundry,

Laminated Written Tips for how best to clean the shower and as well as putting in a long hose shower with nozzle where one can spray the wall after each shower, stopping the scum forming.

Plenty of secure Double Towel Rails and Towel Hooks.

1 or 2 large 12 inch non electric Air Vents, keeps the ceiling mould free. ie: a bathroom with a normal deg.pitch roof above the ceiling.

Put in some Wall Fans or Ceiling Fans & a clock on the Kitchen wall.

Plenty of 4 X Electricity Points Plugs around.

Extra shelving in Kitchen where there are less cupboards,

A 4 inch deep shelf is so handy half way up on the splash- back wall for those small kitchens, helps keep the bench free & tidy.

Extra large Clothes Line in the sun as much as possible, Preferably a Hills Hoist style.

Easy care landscaping plants, easy upkeep for the renters to feel proud of the place they are renting especially at the main entrance.

Please any more ideas would be appreciated.

• Janice Nikischer Flynn

What do you use the mesh bags for? I have the extra rod in shower to hang clothes to finish drying. Run in dryer to dewrinkle first, say 4-5 minutes. Friends use it to hang damp towels after showering while visiting.

• Dona Elena Hatcher

I've always had a 2nd rod in my shower for the very reasons you mentioned Janice, but will now add a few rings & baskets! Excellent idea Amanda C.!!!

• Elaine Johnson

You could use them for bath tub toys if you have kids .

• Carey

I use mesh ZIPPER bags to wash my hand wash items. They give them protection, keeps them from stretching out, and I can allow them to spin drier since they will not be stretched in spinning. I can wash bra's this way esp in the finer mesh bags and the hooks don't snag on other delicate garments. They save me so much work and no dripping all over the place to get them to the shower to hang to dry. The tension rod in the shower is perfect for allowing things to dry and if I do have something that is drippy it keeps the drips contained to the shower.

• Debbi Putman

I use a mesh laundry bag to store my various kayaking equipment -- PFDs, seat, bow line, sun screen, etc. In short, everything except boat and paddle. The mesh allows things to dry between uses and I just throw the bag in the car when we're getting ready to go kayaking; nothing gets forgotten!

• Kay

How would you hang or store heavier bottles?

im afraid they fall into my feet. Ouch!

• Emma Jaquez

Most shower rods are design with strong pressure springs to sustain the weight of heavy designer shower curtains. You may be able to hang larger baskets for large bottles that can't be clipped. I would keep those larger baskets at the opposite ends/extremes of the rod.

Hope it works out for you.

• Fran Valente Lowell

My shower has those built in shelves for soaps & shampoos. They ALWAYS fall, just missing my toes.

• JerseyMary319

I wouldn't use them heavy bottles.

• JerseyMary319

Used a small to medium bottles?

• Debbiy

Oh I love this idea. I have 2 full bathrooms but the oneal is smaller with no real storage for things. This would be great. Thank you

To answer question on larger idems I would think it would work unless the bottles are like 2 or more pounds.

• Peggy M

Just buy big bottles and transfer some from the large bottle to the smaller one and put that in the baskets.

• Tammy Durkee

You can purchase the tube from WalMart where you find the time Abel bottles.

Transfer from big bottles to these. Save the toes!

• Cynthia Vermilye

Bring rod out, bottle upside down with the nipple resting between wall and rod. Flip lid open ans squeeze.

• Khi33476484

all of those are good ideas.

• Find a basket that is longer to hold the item you wish. Possibly find one with a handle and hang it with shower rings. Even tie it on with something different.

Remeber the baskets can hold some water, depending on what kind you buy. This can cause soap scum or mold. Might consider putting a few holes on the bottom.

• Kim Mac

I have a better idea and that's to use the shower rod to put the bottles on top. I actually use two rods, one to hold up the items and the second as a rail to keep them from falling off. I posted pictures if needed. Kim

• Cindy

love this idea! thank you,I used the one rod but this is definetly clever.

• 7015471

I used metal baskets and the metal O rings both from the dollar tree... in 1 basket I have a bottle of shampoo, 1 bottle of conditioner, and 1 bottle of body wash.. holds it all perfectly..

• Christie Karch

Love this idea! Opens up more options for space saving holder!

• Carmen Hernandez

I really like the idea of both rods ☺

• Catherine Cella

I have seen larger clips or even use a small more pliable mini laundry basket and feed it through the tension rod. It would work well. I'd poke a few holes in the bottom for water to drain out but I see where this project is going and I actually LOVE the idea of getting rid of the corner caddies and the gunk that builds up under them, and the ones that hang from the shower pipe always rust. I like this. I can see many possibilities.

• Karla McReynolds Amos

Is there a rust issue with the metal involved?

• Paula Davis

Looks like clutter to me.

prefer, inexpensive, vertical shower shelving. Versatile, compact and neat.

• Cindy Quinn

No that shouldn't be a issue because most of the shower curtain rods have been made of metal historically. One could always purchase a plastic tension rod. I just used a wooden dowel cut to length to hang extra hangers above the toilet in the master bedroom bath (it has its own little room and door.) No one sees it but us and it is up high so as not to be in the way but still within reach. Love it.

I bought the little pieces to hold the rod for about $1.50 and then the dowel was about $4.50 and the hardware store cut it to my length for free. I don't see why a wooden pole couldn't be used as well for this solution.

• Cindy Quinn

This is actually to Paula Davis. I agree it looks cluttery in this photo. I love the idea, however. I would use larger baskets so there would be fewer items hanging and it would look more pulled together. I don't like items in the bath or shower area personally. We keep ours in individual baskets and then pull out ours when needed. Everyone is expected to put all of their items back when finished with bathing or showering.

• Sue Robertson

I did this with larger baskets an it took up waaay to much room

• Doris Storlien

No kids ????

• Janet Govoni

Depending on how long you want it to stay. Wood will warp over time

• Tammy Frame

You should spray with rustoleum clear coat 2 light coats let dry in between coats that should prevent it from rusting. Hope that helped

• Sandyo

Ever think of just using 3 tiered wire baskets hanging off the "dry" end of shower curtain for those bathing odds n ends?

Takes up less space, makes bathrooms look less crowded; cheaper.

• Mary Joy Henderson

My thought. I have one

but it is a clever idea

I

• Deborah Henderson

I tried this and it worked great. There's a rust problem though. Maybe paint it or find a rubber coated one.

• Put8477154

I use shower nets. They come in different colors. I got mine at either the Dollar General or Dollar Store or Target. They are where they accessories are at or use your imagination on where to find. The one I have has six pockets and you can use any size bottles in it. I have 1 at home that is probably 10 years old and still good shape. I take shower hooks and hook to my shower pole. I now have 6 holders if you need more there is plenty of room to hang another or company can put their things in one. I use wire shower hooks that way I can put them anywhere on hooks. You also can find on Amazon. Madonna

• Victoria Diaz

Sandyo that is a great idea. Thank you!

• Catherine Cella

No dry end in my shower. I can see your idea working in a bathroom that is larger than mine or if you have the luxury of a clawfoot tub with the oval curtain hanger. I think one good idea brings out the creative minds in a bunch of us.