How to keep mice out of the house

+27
What can you use other than traps or poison to keep mice out of a house?
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 13, 2016
    www.earthkind.com/learning-center/control-mice/proven-best-ways-for-getting
  • ANNE Coles ANNE Coles on Jun 14, 2016
    Try using peppermint essential oils. I use it to keep the mice out of our vehicle and it's working!
  • Fiona Fiona on Jun 14, 2016
    get a cat.. best preventative ever! also doubles as a foot warmer in the winter
  • Rodrigo Sebidos Rodrigo Sebidos on Jun 14, 2016
    Same here, buy a Cat.
  • Jan Smichoski Jan Smichoski on Jun 14, 2016
    there are plug-in sonic devices that work well.
  • Donna Donna on Jun 14, 2016
    Rescue a cat from a shelter.
  • Diane Diane on Jun 14, 2016
    Spearmint and Peppermint.
  • Kathleen Werner Kathleen Werner on Jun 14, 2016
    Put peppermint Altoids in each drawer and cabinet and put fabric softener sheets in each closet as well as basement, garage and garbage cans. Works perfectly with no harm!
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jun 14, 2016
    We have lived in our area for 47 years and never had mice until last year. They were RATS! Some old buildings were torn down and they scattered through our area. We had the "Got Critters" guy out to seal them out for about $350. Then they came back and we called Terminex...they wanted about $2,000 for sealing everything and setting traps and then an annual contract for several hundred dollars a year! We called "Got Critters" guy back out for a redo for another $250 and have not seen any more since! We don't do critters...don't know how! We have even had squirrels tear boards off our house to get inside the attic!
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jun 14, 2016
    P.S. DO NOT use poison because pets will eat the kill and die too!
  • Connie Connie on Jun 14, 2016
    Those electronic ones work good.
  • Johnchip Johnchip on Jun 14, 2016
    I have used everything from snap traps, to have a heart, poisons, closing openings... everything. The only thing that really works consistently well is, you have to kill them. The flat black glue traps catch them, they end up suffocating by trying to wriggle off. In a couple days, they are all gone. If you have one you have 3-21. I end up having to repeat it about every year. They actually work with cockroaches and geckos too.
  • Karen Reilly Karen Reilly on Jun 14, 2016
    Cats
  • Teawood3 Teawood3 on Jun 14, 2016
    My mother always found and filled every hole in the house with steel wool. It kept out the mice. When the mice would try to chew through, it would cut their lips and gums so they would stay away.
  • Nancy Anderson Nancy Anderson on Jun 14, 2016
    If you can see openings where they might enter, then poke steel wool down in the openings. Look around where water pipes enter and exit the house. You'd be surprised at how tiny of an opening they can come through. Brillo pads will work too but steel wool can be easier to use. Mice won't chew through it. And I agree with Karen Rielly--cats. Hungry cats (don't over-feed them in the house and they will hunt better).
  • Lyn5407621 Lyn5407621 on Jun 14, 2016
    I had the same problem years ago and decided against traps or poisons. Mice love getting into cardboard or plastic covered foods, so I bought several large and small containers with well fitting lids, I put all foods such as cereal, pasta, biscuits etc into the containers and waited to see what would happen. Mice lost interest because they couldn't feed, and it wasn't long before we were mouse-free! I hope this has helped. Lynneth.
  • Hunter Hampton Hunter Hampton on Jun 14, 2016
    Please don't use poison, when you do you are killing an owl, a hawk and eagle.... anything that eats mice is going to die too.
  • Rosemary Kelly Rosemary Kelly on Jun 14, 2016
    As others have said, find and fill all the possible entry points. After that, I would use snap traps to make sure. It's quick and humane. I put the traps baited with peanut butter in out of the way places and check them daily. If you're not catching any, you can pick up the traps.
  • Pauliegirl1 Pauliegirl1 on Jun 14, 2016
    I also cover ALL holes with steel wool. I also plant mint in pots to put by the doors! They do not like mint...but keep in mind, if you plant in the ground, it grows and grows...just cant kill it....but its good for rodents!!!
  • Monalisa Richard Cyr Monalisa Richard Cyr on Jun 14, 2016
    Irish Spring Soap. Cut up small chunks and place them everywhere in your home....
  • Sara Sara on Jun 14, 2016
    Colocar palitos de canela En Una bolsita de tela (no plástico) y colocar en los Lugares Donde lleguen Ratones, ELLOS Odian los olores dulzones fuertes.y. dulzones.
  • Dry5617752 Dry5617752 on Jun 15, 2016
    Get a cat.
  • Jack Rogerson Jack Rogerson on Jun 15, 2016
    Make a humane mouse trap by placing a piece of cheese in the end of a plastic pipe. Place the pipe somewhere so that it just balances. As the mouse runs down the pipe to get the cheese, it overbalances and tips the mouse into a container underneath, which is too high for the mouse to escape from. If you put a rubber band around the pipe, in a suitable porition, and hang the cheese from a short string, inside the pipe, it will all reset itself, ready for the next mouse.
  • Rodrigo Sebidos Rodrigo Sebidos on Jun 15, 2016
    Already answered this question.
  • Kari Roberts Kari Roberts on Jun 16, 2016
    Rodents are allergic to mint oil. Soak cotton balls in it and disperse around areas. Or get a cat.
  • Marlene Marlene on Jun 16, 2016
    Crush candy canes and put them in small containers in problem areas. Stir or replace them once a month. It works for us, especially because we are all allergic to cats.
  • Jeanne Morris Jeanne Morris on Jun 20, 2016
    I've never actually tried this, but a niece swears by shallow bowls of peppermint essential oil placed in corners of rooms -- mice evidently can't tolerate the odor and will flee/avoid. Good luck!!
  • David David on Jun 27, 2016
    Last year we were told to sprinkle whole cloves around our cottage and we only had one dead mouse and no nests or droppings.
  • G G on Jul 13, 2016
    Get peppermint oil at the health food store. Soak cotton balls with it. Place them in little out of the way places like at your sill, rim joists. Under insulation in the attic. You know, mouse places
  • Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jun 03, 2021

Hi Diane, good mouse prevention technique is to fill any holes in your home with steel wool. This can be anywhere from air vents to hole in your kitchen cupboards. This will stop any mouse from trying to enter your home. Mice are known to be able to chew through almost anything, especially if they think food is on the other side, but they can’t chew through steel Wool.